Finding crafting foam in the UK

thehalfboy

Hey guys, I'm new to crafting, and I've been trying to locate some good quality foam to craft with a dremel, but I'm struggling to find any in shops or online, other than at a ridiculously high price, and I wondered if any other UK users had an idea.

I tried searching on there, but didn't find anything. Of course I might be searching for entirely the wrong thing! Is there a better search term than "craft foam" or some variation there of? :)

Allow bud,
Have you tried looking in B&Q?
I was in there the other day and saw the floor matting for £14.95?? (don't hold me to that) there abouts.

if you dont know what mats I mean. it's these things....
product1_22358.jpg

Best of luck anyway.

Dave. :)

Now I'm not 100% which kind of foam your after

If you want the kind of foam that people use to build armour etc, the EVA foam above is what you want.

If you want the kind of foam I thought you were talking about, the pink/blue/orange high density modelling foam, try searching for 'modelling foam', 'scenery foam'. I know for a fact that the pink and blue versions are on there

Also try styrofoam :)

Theres also the green foam thats used in floristry Oasis & theres insulation foam

If you want a foam block to carve the cheapest options are polystyrene or insulation foam.
The type of polystyrene you want is high density, small bead. We use this for carving all the time at work.
Look for polystyrene foam packaging suppliers in your area. They will cut you pieces to size or they may have off-cut pieces on the shelf.
It's cheap stuff. I recently bought a block 2m x 800mm x 450mm for £45.00 + vat.
Insulation foam comes in many grades but the type you want is the blue one - sorry can't remember it's name. Try Sheffield Insulations, there's on in Leeds. As soon as you tell them you only want one piece they'll probably ask you if your building a model!
Hope this helps.

That's fantastic guys, thank you! I'm actually on the look out for both kinds of foam, the EVA foam for making armour with, and the scenery foam for making items to make moulds for, such as moulding latex superhero masks.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back