Finally something the RPF can't do?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was watching that show American Guns on Discovery and started thinking that maybe we don't have anyone that can do engraving like on swords or guns. There have been several things on here, the sword and gun from Sucker Punch, Ranger pistol from Fallout NV, etc. and no one chipped in saying they did engraving. So is this finally something the RPF can't do?

hmmm...

challenge-accepted.jpg

I was watching that show American Guns on Discovery and started thinking that maybe we don't have anyone that can do engraving like on swords or guns. There have been several things on here, the sword and gun from Sucker Punch, Ranger pistol from Fallout NV, etc. and no one chipped in saying they did engraving. So is this finally something the RPF can't do?

I've got access to a laser. If you guys need something done, let me know. Personally I just havent gotten a gun commission with engravings yet.

edit* : although he didnt post here directly, my contact and rpf member Mike Iverson (blindsquirrel) used engraving for this project: http://blindsquirrelprops.blogspot.com/2011/10/resident-evil-claire-redfields-knife.html

Last edited:
Haven't we done similar engravings with the John Constantine lighter, shotgun, or knuckles? Can't remember off the top of my head.

The constantine stuff is etching not engraving a chemical rather than a mechanical process, it's much more difficult/fiddly to get any sort of graduated depth with etching.

So I told my buddy to bring in a kitchen knife, told him we got a project for our weekly man date away from the wives. A couple of beers some duct tape and salt water later, we came up with this!

View attachment 77291

His own personalized dinner knife! :lol

It's not exactly engraving, but I thought I'd share my first metal etching project with the class. It was actually kind of fun and I learned a thing or two.

also,
Viva el Ardilla!
View attachment 77292

Thanks for the inspiration!

was that with the salt water and battery trick?

Ive seen some really nice results using the old nail polish,salt water,1 copper,1 iron nail and a d cell battery, but ive never tried it.

Nah. We have plenty of people on the board who can do engravings, and make things look immensely awesome.

The hitch is, the labor cost. Doing any kind of engraving is pretty much going to drive the cost of any project sky high. Labor ain't cheap, and the talent to do that kinda stuff ain't gonna be free.

It's more along the lines of, that option is always available but rarely used, moreso than that particular option being unavailable due to talent.

Chris

I think its not just engraving or something... There are many swordmakers out, who offer swords with engraving for less than the licensed swords...

I think often its more than just engraving...

I would like to have angelinas gun from wanted, but its not just engraving, I think its more than just this...

The main thing is: Someone must try it... Or want to try it...

Heck I do engraving all the time- here's a rose gold pendant I'm working on right now for a customer. It's not like what you see on guns and such but the techniques are the same.

RoseGoldPendant1.jpg

Wow...

That is either a tiny pendant or a HUGE stone.

Awesome work man!!!! :thumbsup

Chris

I do engraving in swords, and knifes, long time ago, by hand, chisel, in real carbon steel swords.

sorry, no pics, I have everything in a storage right now.

Wow...

That is either a tiny pendant or a HUGE stone.

Awesome work man!!!! :thumbsup

Chris

Thanks! It is a huge stone- a 30 carat red Zircon. The other stones are a mix of white and champagne diamonds and the metal is 14K pink gold. It was a fun piece to make and it has a really nice weight to it. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back