Finally something the RPF can't do?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

hydin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Any particular reason it resembles your avatar? ;)

Man, the detail on that is amazing, about the 3rd time I looked I noticed the TINY scrollwork down the sides.

You have talent my friend..
Chris

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Honus

Sr Member
Any particular reason it resembles your avatar? ;)

Man, the detail on that is amazing, about the 3rd time I looked I noticed the TINY scrollwork down the sides.

You have talent my friend..
Chris
Nope- no particular reason. My boss actually did the design work- I'm just the fabricator. :)

Here's a Platinum ring I made that has some crazy detail work. It was an extremely complicated job- the opening on the side of the ring is only 8mm wide- it's a very small ring (I think it was a size 4 1/2.) The vine/leaf insert had to be fabricated by hand from 14 individual parts. The vine is only .08mm (.003in) thick by 1mm deep so all the leaves and details had to be hand engraved and welded on using a laser. The small diamonds in the top of the ring are 1mm diameter.

Last edited:

Honus

Sr Member
A couple of weeks ago an extremely nice 63 year old Russian man named Amayak Stepanyan stopped by to show me some of his engraving work. To say I was floored by the quality of his work would be an understatement. He pulled this very knife out and handed it to me to examine and also showed me another piece that was in mid process. I could have talked to him for hours- he's extremely gracious and humble about his work and is absolutely willing to share techniques and ideas- a true craftsman in every sense of the word.

The engraved side plates on this knife are 416L stainless steel. He explained that the patterns are first cut using a chisel and hammer and then the design is refined using gravers and stones. The engraving on this particular piece took over 200 hours to do. He gave me permission to share pics of his work here. The knife maker is a friend and neighbor of his named Owen Wood. Amayak told me Owen is probably one of the ten best knife makers in the world.

I hope to possibly learn more about engraving from Amayak in the future as he teaches at the Denver School of Metal Arts.

Amazing stuff.

Eaglewood

Sr Member
there are many that can do top quality engraving if you are willing to pay the price-- That seems to be the bridge no one wants to cross.

vilts

Amayak's engraving is the "duck's guts". I've seen it personally and only superlative words can describe it. I even had the the chance to learn from him, very nice person and has at least 30 years of engraving experience. Can't beat that.

But yes, sure we can engrave :)

What was said about time and expense is very true. It is very-very time consuming, for me it takes about 1hr per square centimeter for line engraving. Sculpting is about 5 hours. Inlays and things take also a lot of time.