Finally something the RPF can't do?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sluis Van Shipyards, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I was watching that show American Guns on Discovery and started thinking that maybe we don't have anyone that can do engraving like on swords or guns. There have been several things on here, the sword and gun from Sucker Punch, Ranger pistol from Fallout NV, etc. and no one chipped in saying they did engraving. So is this finally something the RPF can't do?

2. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Master Member

Wait...

3. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

4. zanderwitaz

zanderwitaz Well-Known Member

I've got access to a laser. If you guys need something done, let me know. Personally I just havent gotten a gun commission with engravings yet.

edit* : although he didnt post here directly, my contact and rpf member Mike Iverson (blindsquirrel) used engraving for this project: http://blindsquirrelprops.blogspot.com/2011/10/resident-evil-claire-redfields-knife.html

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  5. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

Haven't we done similar engravings with the John Constantine lighter, shotgun, or knuckles? Can't remember off the top of my head.

6. epilepticsquirl

7. jedichase

jedichase Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Case closed!

8. youngpaddy1

youngpaddy1 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The constantine stuff is etching not engraving a chemical rather than a mechanical process, it's much more difficult/fiddly to get any sort of graduated depth with etching.

9. epilepticsquirl

So I told my buddy to bring in a kitchen knife, told him we got a project for our weekly man date away from the wives. A couple of beers some duct tape and salt water later, we came up with this!

View attachment 77291

His own personalized dinner knife! :lol

It's not exactly engraving, but I thought I'd share my first metal etching project with the class. It was actually kind of fun and I learned a thing or two.

also,
    Viva el Ardilla!
    View attachment 77292

Thanks for the inspiration!

10. vctrsone

vctrsone New Member

was that with the salt water and battery trick?

Ive seen some really nice results using the old nail polish,salt water,1 copper,1 iron nail and a d cell battery, but ive never tried it.

11. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nah. We have plenty of people on the board who can do engravings, and make things look immensely awesome.

The hitch is, the labor cost. Doing any kind of engraving is pretty much going to drive the cost of any project sky high. Labor ain't cheap, and the talent to do that kinda stuff ain't gonna be free.

It's more along the lines of, that option is always available but rarely used, moreso than that particular option being unavailable due to talent.

Chris

12. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

13. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

I think its not just engraving or something... There are many swordmakers out, who offer swords with engraving for less than the licensed swords...

I think often its more than just engraving...

I would like to have angelinas gun from wanted, but its not just engraving, I think its more than just this...

The main thing is: Someone must try it... Or want to try it...

14. Sluis Van Shipyards

I'm not surprised! There's got to be at least one thing on here the RPF can't solve (world peace not included).

15. Honus

Honus Sr Member

Heck I do engraving all the time- here's a rose gold pendant I'm working on right now for a customer. It's not like what you see on guns and such but the techniques are the same.

[​IMG]

hydin likes this.
  16. Honus

Honus Sr Member

And here it is finished!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. hydin

Wow...

That is either a tiny pendant or a HUGE stone.

Awesome work man!!!! :thumbsup

Chris

18. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I tell you, there is NOTHING the RPF can't do!!

19. 666

666 Member

I do engraving in swords, and knifes, long time ago, by hand, chisel, in real carbon steel swords.

sorry, no pics, I have everything in a storage right now.

20. Honus

Honus Sr Member

Thanks! It is a huge stone- a 30 carat red Zircon. The other stones are a mix of white and champagne diamonds and the metal is 14K pink gold. It was a fun piece to make and it has a really nice weight to it. :)

21. hydin

Any particular reason it resembles your avatar? ;)

Man, the detail on that is amazing, about the 3rd time I looked I noticed the TINY scrollwork down the sides.

You have talent my friend..
    Chris

22. Honus

Honus Sr Member

Nope- no particular reason. My boss actually did the design work- I'm just the fabricator. :)

Here's a Platinum ring I made that has some crazy detail work. It was an extremely complicated job- the opening on the side of the ring is only 8mm wide- it's a very small ring (I think it was a size 4 1/2.) The vine/leaf insert had to be fabricated by hand from 14 individual parts. The vine is only .08mm (.003in) thick by 1mm deep so all the leaves and details had to be hand engraved and welded on using a laser. The small diamonds in the top of the ring are 1mm diameter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  23. Honus

Honus Sr Member

A couple of weeks ago an extremely nice 63 year old Russian man named Amayak Stepanyan stopped by to show me some of his engraving work. To say I was floored by the quality of his work would be an understatement. He pulled this very knife out and handed it to me to examine and also showed me another piece that was in mid process. I could have talked to him for hours- he's extremely gracious and humble about his work and is absolutely willing to share techniques and ideas- a true craftsman in every sense of the word.

The engraved side plates on this knife are 416L stainless steel. He explained that the patterns are first cut using a chisel and hammer and then the design is refined using gravers and stones. The engraving on this particular piece took over 200 hours to do. He gave me permission to share pics of his work here. The knife maker is a friend and neighbor of his named Owen Wood. Amayak told me Owen is probably one of the ten best knife makers in the world.

I hope to possibly learn more about engraving from Amayak in the future as he teaches at the Denver School of Metal Arts.

Amazing stuff.

[​IMG]

24. Honus

Honus Sr Member

And here's more of his work-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Sluis Van Shipyards

Now that's impressive!

26. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

there are many that can do top quality engraving if you are willing to pay the price-- That seems to be the bridge no one wants to cross.

27. vilts

vilts New Member

Amayak's engraving is the "duck's guts". I've seen it personally and only superlative words can describe it. I even had the the chance to learn from him, very nice person and has at least 30 years of engraving experience. Can't beat that.

But yes, sure we can engrave :)

What was said about time and expense is very true. It is very-very time consuming, for me it takes about 1hr per square centimeter for line engraving. Sculpting is about 5 hours. Inlays and things take also a lot of time.

28. TheShinyOne

TheShinyOne Well-Known Member

Honus! That ring! I can't find words for it... Simply stunning. Such detail!

29. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

wow. Just WOW!

I would LOVE to have something like this done, I just don't think I would be able to afford it!

Any idea on what his knifes run price wise??

30. vilts

vilts New Member

I believe 3-4k and up.