Finally finished making aluminum iron man mark 6/7 by jfcustom wearable

bruteoger

So decided to create this little info sheet to assists anyone in wanting to make a thin metal based suit that requires no skills, since I couldn't find one when I started wanting to make one. I like the idea of the costumes being able to last a thousdand years or so, sounds interesting. So while these can't compare to sand baggers welded suit I can't help but appreciate the shine that aluminum suits can have with minimal skills required.

First got to say thank you JFCustom for your quality work, ended up using your karol modified iron man build. Must admit I do regret not using a more detailed pep file about midway in due acquring a few skills/techniques that would allow me to make a more coplicated suit but chose the easiest build I could find and went with it when I started.

Just today I finished making the suit wearable, by combining the chest pieces together and putting on the peices I hadn't tried yet to see if it all fit. Had to modify the cod peice as my hips/thighs were larger than the unmodified version. Overall, this took me about 2 and a half months but largely only a total of 140 hours or so. And not including all the parts I ended up not using due to failures I spent about 100 dollars for the full suit. Even played around with some other projects in the mean time.

Costs:
45 dollars amerimax flashing, the 9 thickness one, the 7 i tested for the helmet and it worked fine but liked the thickers feel, also bought some gilbraters aluminum flashing but can't help but notice that the parts made from these materials oxidized
12 dollars aluminum rivets from harborfreights, 2 500 packs
6 dollars rivieter from hardbor freights
3 dollars 1/8 drill bits harbor freights
8 dollars scotch tape from amazon, 6 of their rolls used
8 dollars gorilla tape, amazon, largely unused but when drilling its like having multiple arms, life saver, decided to use after a fail drill shredded my gloves, saved fingers
4 dollars aluminum string, walmart, to allow certain peices to move/be able to be put on such as cod, chest, neck and shoulder pads

0 had 2 gloves, first got shredded be careful and when drilling do it with force so that the metal doesnt become a whirling death machine.
0 tons of normal cheap printer paper
0 ink, not much used since just lines
0 had wrench to bend tight peices
0 sharp edge to bend on things important
0 lights not necessary, thought they were fun, 5 dollars from amazon
0 sicciors, nothing specieal, even used one dollar scissors when I lost my good pair
0 nail file borrowed to trim down sharp edges, still not done with this, making safer / easier to put on
0 had drill
0 had scrap peice of wood to drill on

At the moment I think thats everthing I used will modify if I think I missed something. Overall if having drill I expect anyone to be able to make a version for about 100 dollars out of aluminum.

The crooked head of full build is the lastest image. To tired to put on full suit today, but wanted to post it after a long day of attempting to make it wearable, not just got to keep removing sharp edges where I find them.

Oh ya overall damage is not to bad when wearinga thick shirt and pants, just makng sure to grind down any edges with nail file and remove and jagged edges you making at the cutting step as soon as you see one, it will save your fingers, learned that after shredding my fingers.

Also, something I liked to do to make the work easier was modifiyng the files when in paper by adding small sections of to where that section conneced with another, far easier and faster then putting a new section in between both every single time, goes from 2 rivets 2 one and less likely to do a mistake.

20160514_173442.jpg20160508_174819.jpg20160522_130023.jpg20160704_200033.jpg20160521_233047.jpg20160710_201416.jpg20160612_172532.jpg

Last edited:
How much did you spend on band-aids? First off, I have to commend you on this severely ambitious project. As proof of concept you've shown that an aluminum suit can be made relatively cheap, and what you've got there looks pretty decent so far. I can definitely see this as a base. I can also see it working quite well as a food processor.... omg all those edges... yeowch!

Great work!

Nicely done!

Might have to do a fusion of your approach coupled with mine for my next build (see link in sig). Rivets for added strength but keeping the foam backing for comfort.

Ha, ya managed to get quite a few nicks, with gloves on though generally no cuts happened. Managed to get about 10 cuts that bled in the end. Main thing I learned the aluminum is not that sharp once you made sure to clean up any jagged edges you make while cutting as you go, and to sand down/cut/bend any of the corners. As the actual edge is relatively safe, the neck piece is one I made sure to smooth out and it works well and can use it safely.

Thanks for the comment.

Very impressive Artemis, I actually looked at your video/designs when I was thinking of mine. Your hybrid technique was something I considered for a while, spent a bit of time looking up foam designs/techniques.

Would really enjoy seeing rivets added into your design, comfort and strength would be a great combination. I'll be on the look out for your design!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back