Finally 99% Finished ANH Vader

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darthmagpie, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Darthmagpie

Darthmagpie Well-Known Member

Well after four years and $$$$ finally 99% finished. It is missing the leather collar. It still needs tweaking but thatÂ’s were I am relying on some advice from you guys. I am well aware of most of the inaccuracies but am pretty happy with it. The only thing you canÂ’t pick on is the helmet. I know it is mounted a little high. I may fix that, not sure yet. I planned on spending $5,000 when I started, based on the warning of this project. I ended up spending $2600 and a gallon of blood sweat and tears. The chest box lights up and blinks and the belt boxes light up (I know ANH, but It should have). There is an amplified speaker inside the helmet that resonates in the helmet so Awesome it makes you want to cry. He does 7 minutes of breathing and a movie quote 7 minutes of breathing and then a movie quote and so on. I LOVE him. The display is missing the emperor but.........someday. I know he needs tweaking and doesn't look natural in his pose so lets here it guys....Thank you all for your help and input.
    Pics are bad; I know but dam he is all black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, WACKYCHIMP

2. jonjohn29

jonjohn29 New Member

vERY NICE.

3. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....kinda hard to tell from the dark pics....but he looks good. And I love the backdrop.....I'd pull up his chestbox a bit higher tho....

4. The Death Curse

The Death Curse Well-Known Member

Looks beautiful, man.

Hrm...Only part of the mannequin itself that I see a problem with is that the shoulders aren't wide enough. I agree with moving the chest box up a tad, as well. I think the current pose is a bit too static...Maybe you could also move his right arm out in front of him, mimicking the "force choke" motion. :D That'd give it lots more character.

Ryan

5. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Looks great. Please tell me how you made the voice/effects etc? I'd love to do something similar.

6. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

From what I see It looks very nice :thumbsup

7. mikajedi

mikajedi Well-Known Member

Your display looks great . :) :thumbsup
    Your belt buckle doesn't look like the one in ANH, may be you should try to find one from russrep.
    But don't worry this is a good job . :thumbsup B) :)

8. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Congratulations on a terrific display...always great to see another completed ANH Vader. You've got the proportions looking really good for ANH (he was a bit less bulky than in ESB). More pics always appreciated. :)

:cheers,

Thomas

9. Darthmagpie

Thanks Guys. It means a lot comming from this group....

Here are afew pics of the suggested changes....Don't know if they work but I am willing to try. This is the best i can do on the choking my manequin is limited.
    I know about the buckle buuuut its really nice so for now lets keep it between us. Shhhhhhhh.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its funny how angles make things look weird.

Darkside72, What I did for the voice was. I took a set of Portable CD player speakers(amplified). Probably the same as computer speakers. It comes with 2 one has the amplifier board and the CD jack. The other plugs into the first one. Here is the other one.
    [​IMG]

I opend up the plastic case and unsoldered the speaker. I Spliced in a 4 FT section of wire. I took one of the strong magnets from one of the hard drives i opened(for another project ;) ). and black duct taped it to the manequin's head at the mouth area. I stuck the speaker to the magnet and ran the wire over the head and down the back on the inside of everything. I moved the amplifier from a horizontal position to a vertical position and duct taped it into the half of the speaker case that has the battery compartment, and shoved it in his belt,(on the right side)
    [​IMG]
    Then I just downloaded some sounds and breathing and edited it in EZ cd creator. put it in a cd player and shoved it in his belt on the left side.
    [​IMG]
    WOW doesn't feel that complicated unit you have to explain it.....

Thanks wackychimp

10. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

re. the chestbox.....looks MUCH better.

I also agree with Mika....change out the buckle to an ANH style and you're there. :thumbsup

11. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

WOW, that looks great :thumbsup
    Can I make a suggestion, now that the chest box is nice and high, lift the belt so that it's about an inch or so under the box, then the cod up so it's right under the belt.
    ANH Vader, had very little spacing between the components, and sometimes they were touching.

Audio...

Isn't it great to not only see Vader but to hear him as well. I did that with mine a year and a half or so ago, but I went out and bought a mannequin, with in a 1/2hr I had his head chopped off and mounted speakers in it's place, one facing forward, one facing back. I think what really sealed the deal was the sub, it's on the floor, behind his leg, under the cape, it helps his booming voice.

[​IMG]

I also did a similar thing with my TK's, I splt the channels between left and right.
    Left "Look sir, droids"
    Right "These aren't the droids we're looking for, move along, move along."

[​IMG]

You can see them here (scroll to the bottom)....

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/vaderfananh.htm

Well done again, he looks great, it's not easy putting one together and I think you've done a superb job :)

Cheers,

Kraig

12. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

This is a great thread. Excellent work guys.

13. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Kraig....love the "speaker head". Brilliant. :thumbsup

14. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Looks great. Very impressive. .)

15. Darthmagpie

Thanks again guys. I can't really move the cod up any more. I know exactly what you are saying, however if I move it up any more you will see the crotch of the pants. I can't move the pants up more because I build the manequin out of PVC and the cross bar is there. Thats why I had the box down a bit to make it kind of even. I am surprized with all the inacuracies that people keep pointing out the buckle, but that just goes to show you what other see when you don't. I love the saying "It is difficult to see the painting from inside the frame", that is evident here.

So who has the buckles? lol

16. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Russrep has buckles which are fairly close......his have evenly spaced rounded slot ends instead of accurate uneven spaced square ended slots. But like I said, his are pretty close and they are very well made...

17. Replicator1701

Replicator1701 Well-Known Member

Where you find your mannequin? How tall is it? How tall was Vader?

18. darth buffalo

darth buffalo Well-Known Member

don't worry about seeing the crotch...

get the boxes/buckle close to the chestbox...IMO it will look a lot better

[​IMG]

19. TMP

TMP Sr Member

The Vader looks great and i agree that the backdrop and the idea of the mic is smart. It whould be cool to do a R-L Audio Renderd playback from the scene were Vader speaks with the troopers and its modified in the way that the sound comes from the person who has the dialog.

20. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Looks great. As mine is constantly transforming from a Rubies to an ANH it's great to see things like this. Is that painted AC plywood you've used as the backdrop or just the wall?

21. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Thanks for the info man.

22. Darthmagpie

Best I can do. Better?

[​IMG]

I havent gotten any feedback on the "choking hand" does it look better? I am not sold yet. I made the manequin out of 1.5" PVC and it is padded with Buble wrap. The arm, sholders and hands are made out of soft copper tubing. I pop rivited it and then used hose clamps for support. It allows you to pose it but you better find what you like soon as eventually it will break if you keep moving it. He is 6'6" to the top of the helmet. I started with him taller but he seemed less real. I ended up using Carrie fisher's hight(5'1") and in the scean when Alderand goes by-by, Vader is holder her close. I made the 5'1" go to the same place on the chest/sholder armor. And i feel it looks right.

The background is the wall. I painted the wall "brilliant white". Then i mapped out the pattern. From the edge of the wall I measured to the center of the arcs and made a mark. I then bought 2 packages of Compact Disk labels and put them concentric over the mark I made. Then I used 2" painters tape and connected the 2 CD circles to make the slot pattern. Then I rolled the hole wall a Gray that I thought looked good and peeled away the tape and labels. My wife is an understanding Woman.

23. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Waaaaayyy better :thumbsup

I forgot to mention the wall, it looks awesome.

You've put together an impressive display.

Once again, well done.

Thanks Kev, I wanted them to have audio and I thought that the easiest way to hide the speakers was under the helmets, it worked out well. I did however have to convince my wife that cutting the head off a newly purchased $450 mannequin was a good idea, that was probably the hardest part :lol

Cheers,

Kraig

24. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Excellent display, I love it. I think it really captures the ANH Vader feeling, especially after making the improvements mentioned here. Good work.

25. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Yes, much better spacing...I prefer the neutral stance....

:cheers,

Thomas

26. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

It looks amazing.. :thumbsup :thumbsup

27. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Impressive... most impressive. :p

As much as I like the Vader, I especially enjoyed reading your description of how you did the wall. Great idea to use the CD labels as the tops and bottoms of the painting masks. So simple, and yet so effective. :thumbsup

28. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Another fine example of the creativity here on the RPF.

29. Darthmagpie

Wow, again thank you for the kind words,

Here is one more pose. Tell me what you think. Imagine more brown fabric and the saber painted. I think I may go with this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Wackychimp

30. Darthmagpie

I realise this thread has run its course, and thaks for all the help and kind words. Just looking for one last set of comments on this pose.

31. Darthmagpie

one last try.

32. RKW

RKW Sr Member

:lol

I'm trying not to think that he just shat himself.

It's a display idea I've not seen before and think could work really well if like you say add more brown material.

33. Aegis159

Aegis159 Sr Member

Looks great man.. I aspire to have one set up as nicely some day. i do like the saber in his hand better than the owther two poses.