Final Fantasy XI - Lght Staff Build WIP

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Joy, May 17, 2012.

1. Joy

Joy Member

So, I have a little project on my table for a client I am really loving, and I thought I'd post where I am now and what I've done.

This is for the Light Staff from FF XI, which some of you may have seen before as Volpin has created one of these as well. I made it a point to try to interpret the design a little differently, which was easy since the model is so very low poly.
    [​IMG]

I drafted up a design in photoshop and printed it out, then tacked it onto some plywood and cut the base out on the scroll saw, then used styrene guides to build up the basic skeleton. Then...bondo time.
    [​IMG]

Bondo, dremel, sand, bondo, dremel, sand, calipers, sand, sand.
    I also used half of a plastic ornament for the orb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Primed and ready to embellish, this is the happiest I've been with a bondo surface yet:
    [​IMG]

Using puff paint to draw the filigree (I know, ghetto, but it works):
    [​IMG]

1/8 in half round styrene for the straight lines, I have had more trouble getting this to stay glued down.
    [​IMG]

More and more styrene and paint. I actually started making puff paint decals using tracing paper and tape, that way I could perfectly mirror the designs, well..almost perfectly.
    [​IMG]

It's been a heck of a learning experience, but I'm pleased so far, hoping to have it ready to mold by the weekend.

2. Joy

Joy Member

Got the mold done early this week, and have done a couple casts in it.
    [​IMG]
    I used Rebound 25 for the mold, turned out great. This shot is with some goldfinger casting powder.

[​IMG]
    The original, a white cast and a brown cast with the casting powder. I decided that I'll be painting the gold instead, there are some spots that will need glazing putty when I put the two halves together, so I'd have to paint those areas anyways. The orb is still getting cast with silver bullet powder, makes a pretty cool pearly effect.

[​IMG]
    The two halves held together with a hair tie. I haven't done any trimming of the casts in this shot, so they don't match up perfectly yet. Pretty pleased that the shapes match up nicely, only a couple places will need puttying.

Now, trimming, puttying and painting time.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  3. Joy

Joy Member

A little late to do this, but I completed the staff last week, so time for photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Disassembled for transport:
    [​IMG]

4. nemik

nemik New Member

This is realy kool, job well done on this.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016