Films that the hero is called “john/jack”

It's not a Hollywood tradition - it goes back much farther -

Jack and Jill
Jack and the beanstalk/ aka Jack the giantkiller
Jack B Quick
Jack Sprat
Little Jack Horner

Saw this on E online

Why must every major film hero be named Jack? There's a new George Clooney movie out, and I won't see it because—guess what his name is!
—Cordie, via the inbox

Oh don't stop there. There was Jack Shephard in Lost. Jack the hero of the video game Bioshock. Jack Ryan from the Tom Clancy books and movies. Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean. Jack Bauer from 24. Jack Welles from the new movie Takers. And on and on and on.

It's not the only name out there, but it is the most hackneyed. Here's why:

It's safe.

Americans are almost hard-wired to respond to "Jack" as a hero because of its connection to protagonists since the days of fairy tales. Fairy tale heroes are always named Jack, too, and they're always—such as the giant killer—a bit of a badass.

The word Jack is also, literally, generic.

At some point in its English origins, "Jack" became a shortcut for the word "guy" or "dude." So—again, literally—Jack is a shortcut reference for an everyguy. Which, in turn, makes it an ideal name for a typical movie protagonist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack Torrence was a hero?
Hmmm... I've seen The Shining about 57 times and never caught that... but I'll give it another look

ok...I guess "hero" in this instance is a S.....t.....r.....e....c......h.

I was actually thinking about How many times Tom Cruise has played a "Jack"
started to google it and...
ScreenShot002.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back