Filmation's Flash Gordon - Ming's Drone Ship

AZSneed

Sr Member
This is a scratch built model of Ming the Merciless's Drone Ship from the Filmation animated series.
All of the line on the model are decals. The main body is from 1/2 inch tubing, and wings from sheet styrene.

mingfin2.jpg

mingfin1.jpg

Very cool! That was a great show. I remember seeing a behind the scenes show about it. They made models painted white with black lines, that were shot motion control to be traced by the animators.

Very cool! That was a great show. I remember seeing a behind the scenes show about it. They made models painted white with black lines, that were shot motion control to be traced by the animators.

Yup, they used the motion control rigs used in Space Academy and Jason of Star Command to do the shots. Now if only there were some pictures of the models themselves, studio scale version would not be all that tough to do (although I doubt the models had much paint on them other than the grid lines). Only minor drawback to that process was EVERYTHING shot that way had a grid. Even the Stukas used in the opening scenes of the first episode did.

BTW, very nice model of a subject I don't recall ANYONE else ever doing before.

Thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated!

I plan to do more, but, not until I catch up on some other models.

Hi, could you elaborate on the building & research done for this particular build? First, where can I get info on the "Ming Sun Emblem", that would be considered "screen accurate" for my build? Any more info that you could share about this ship will greatly be appreciated. I thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon!!! :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back