figured out superman returns costume

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
it took a while to realize, but i finally realized today that the darker colors for the costume bother me moreso than i thought, and the reason is actually very very simple.

it brings to mind that abortion of a superman film known as "superman 3". the evil superman clone.... thing. he had the same dark blue, and dark red cape.

granted, the costume by itself sucks (tiny emblem, logo on belt, short shorts, etc), but the color scheme bugged me more than anything else, and i finally pinned down the reason.

anyone else ephinate on this, or twas it just me?

chris

I'm just an average person who likes watching Superman now and then, but the dark colors are actually the only thing I like about the new costume.

Originally posted by hydin@Dec 18 2005, 08:38 PM
it took a while to realize, but i finally realized today that the darker colors for the costume bother me moreso than i thought, and the reason is actually very very simple.

it brings to mind that abortion of a superman film known as "superman 3". the evil superman clone.... thing. he had the same dark blue, and dark red cape.

granted, the costume by itself sucks (tiny emblem, logo on belt, short shorts, etc), but the color scheme bugged me more than anything else, and i finally pinned down the reason.

anyone else ephinate on this, or twas it just me?

chris
[snapback]1138988[/snapback]​

This is exactly what a friend and I said upon our first seeing a pic of the costume. It's dark reds are exactly the same. Are they ever so subtley trying to tell us we're in a darker time now, blah, blah....

i'm a big supes fan, and it must be the hardest job in the world to do what singer has to- try to please everyone.

i dislike the suit for the plasticy looks, the high neck, the rear tucked in cape, the s on the belt, the short boots, but i like the darker pallette. singer would have had an easier ride doing a bat film, his costume changes so much in the movies and no one seems to mind- the begins suit and cowl were awful.
but like singer said in sdcc, the costume is drawn differently all the time.........

i think the movie will rock, and please watch superman 3 again as it really is one of the better movies (2 and 4 just look so bad and cheap.), it's so twee and comic like of the time.

im sorry man, i really gotta disagree on the superman 3 thing.

granted, the whole evil supes idea was pretty interesting, the movie just flat out sucked. the original wasnt a plot filled masterpiece with lex basically being a homicidal real estate agent, but the 3rd one was just richard pryor guest starring superman.

plus that robot chick gave me nightmares. :confused

even 4, as PC as it was, was more fun to watch than 3. 2 wasnt great but it could have been had donners original idea been in play.

the costume just... hell ive already said it, i dont like it. the tiny symbol, the shorty shorts, etc, all look weird on the man o steel. but the dark colors and leather capes and whatnot just look wrong on superman (to me). granted, in kingdom come he had a darker blue and red, and he looked awesome, but the suit was basically the same design with darker colors. the whole "retro" look to it bugs me. the main irk factor though is that darker blue and red.

brings back bad memories of a bad movie.

chris

IMO,

The suit has major problems all the way down to the cut. The colors don't bug me so much as does the tailoring.

The blue undersuit is fine. Its a blue tight-suit. The basis for Superman's outfit.

The cape needs some major shoulder help. The way it's hanging, its looking like the studio said "MINIMIZE THE CAPE" so they tucked it out of sight as far as they could. The way it's fitted at the neckline is atrocious.

The "S" is just too small. I suppose they were trying to make his chest look broader by minimizing the S, but it doesn't serve the overall image.

The boots are a tad too low as well. Don't mind the fancy cut on them, but they could stand to be an inch or two taller.

And the trunks...

I don't mind the sculptural belt, really. But the cut of those trunks is about as wrong as if they had been made as boxers. There's also the possibility that somebody at the studio said "minimize his package" and so they settled on this unflattering cut that is very similar on the bottom to the trunks Burt Ward wore in the 1960's Batman show. Waist is too low, legs aren't cut high enough. It makes him look like his torso is too long and his legs are too short. The cut doesn't follow the lines of his physique. And the shorts in particular make it appear that the costume was made before they cast the role. Either that or the costumer was confused by the comic book art reference and thought they should be cut that low at the waitsband to expose more of his abs. But the problem is that he ISN'T built like the comic form of Superman's body. Nobody is. They have his belt-line riding below his bellybutton...Chris Reeve's trunks rode right at the bellybutton line. And Chris' outfit LOOKED BALANCED.

Until we get over our uncomfortable realtionship with human anatomy and grow up, superhero suits will forever be embarrassing to an American audience. Unless, of course, you prefer ALL your superheroes dressed in tight black leather or rubber sculpted suits.

-Gordon

I don't like the costume & the actor looks a little light in the #ss to be playing Supes in my opinion.

Chris Reeve was the man..

Superman 2 was clearly the best movie done. The NYC battle was just fun. It was what you wanted to see in all of the superman movies. And Hackman's lines, were just great throughout... and Otis putting the shadow rabbit ears on Lex during the escape still makes me laugh outloud after 20 years. I mean come on, guys, seriously, how could 2 be the worst?

In any case, I just hope the new movie does alright. It would be nice to have superman back in the super hero mix. I'm still thanking my lucky stars for Batman Begins, on general principle, since arnold in bunny slippers conducting a bunch of henchmen still gives me nightmares.

The dark colored suit will bother me until I determine if the movie is good or not.

i love pretty much everything about this redesign. with one exception of the high round neck, but even that's starting to grow on me now.

I like the thing that people are complaining about though, that it makes his body look longer.

I love that look... makes him look leaner... wide shoulders and long torso. more like an olympic swimmer's physique instead of a body builder.

They don't mean longer as in atheletic build...meanlonger as in disproportional, like his body parts are all wrong, thus making his arms look short and lets stumpy and then a TALL chest.

Originally posted by Primrodo@Dec 24 2005, 01:31 PM
They don't mean longer as in atheletic build...meanlonger as in disproportional, like his body parts are all wrong, thus making his arms look short and lets stumpy and then a TALL chest.
[snapback]1142918[/snapback]​

Exactly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the build of the actor. Its just the costumer who should be fired.

-Gordon

If you want to know why the new Superman costume looks a little effeminate--look no further than Bryan Singer....

According to one of the interviews in Wizard magazine, most of the things that people seem to balk at on the costume are a direct result of the logistics of Singer's "re-imagining" of the costume to put his own stamp on it. All the talk about using the darker colors and the smaller logo to reference the Fleisher cartoons is crap.

Colors too dark?
"Those bright colors just don't work today".

Neckline too high?
Well, that's because Brandon is wearing a muscle suit under the costume.

Logo too small?
Well, Singer wanted the 3-D logo, and there's no way to make something like that contour to the natural (or augmented) shape of the body, so it needs a "flat" surface to lay on.

No logo on the cape?
3-D version on the cape just wouldn't work, animators of the CG version of the cape didn't want to have to deal.

Logo on the belt?
Singer: "We took the logo from the cape and put it on the belt".

I accept the costume, because I have no choice, but dammit, this better be a friggin' great movie or by Zod, there's gonna be hell to pay.

Steve

Originally posted by misterfusion@Dec 26 2005, 05:15 PM

Neckline too high?
Well, that's because Brandon is wearing a muscle suit under the costume.

[snapback]1143919[/snapback]​
He's wearing a muscle suit & he still looks like a wimp. That's truly sad.

"All the talk about using the darker colors and the smaller logo to reference the Fleisher cartoons is crap."

i never said the darker colors were a reference to the fleisher cartoon...i just said that there was a precedent for the colors being that dark...and a damn good one at that...

"He's wearing a muscle suit & he still looks like a wimp. That's truly sad."
"If he's wearing a muscle suit that is REALLY sad."

i don't know if anyone else did the comparison...but look them...do you really think routh "looks like a wimp" compared to reeve?...i don't know...routh looks like he could kick my ass and probably your's too....skott

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back