Fierfly Serenity Mals gun paint?

anotherfab

Hey all!

So i got these metal Replicas but the finish is terrible and just dark... any tips or the right color or some good paint tips to get them to the right look?
thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_2960.jpeg
    IMG_2960.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 256
If you want an idea of how dark the finish was before most of it wore off here's a pic of an original production made piece with most of the finish intact.

Attachments

• DSCF6524b.JPG
    DSCF6524b.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Unfortunately when the two ‘hero‘ guns from the tv show were refurbished for use in the Serenity movie they made silicone molds from one gun without correctly sealing the original which took all the brown varnish off leaving it with a bright brassy finish so rather than re-varnish it the other gun was just stripped to match. Bizarre decision but along with a new magazine and revised safety catch at least it gives us two distinct looks for the gun to replicate.

Its good that actual info vs hearsay is being spoken. userd1402 is correct, a lazy incompetent skimped on his job causing irreparable damage to one of the original guns AFTER they were torn down, modified and rebuilt. The finish was nearly removed and left in the mould. In an attempt to hide this he simply asked the painter to modify the other to match along with the castings. The paint used was really just rattle can stuff out of an airbrush with the brown age effect being various tones of Mohawk rattle can wood toner again applied by an airbrush. One trick used for both gold and brass many times is the same color being an old version of rattle can brass paint. I still have some cans in the garage ill dig out and snap a pic. I can only speak for the Serenity film.

on an old drive somewhere I have lots of pics of the live fire guns, the castings and such. Just dont know where that drive is at. I did find these on a transfered files folder though...

Phil casting alongside live fire with camera flash
DSC00010.JPG

Phil casting alongside live fire with ambient florescent lighting
DSC00026.JPG

Four total rubber catchings were made fort the film, and one hard casting.
Serenity guns 3.jpg

Its good that actual info vs hearsay is being spoken. userd1402 is correct, a lazy incompetent skimped on his job causing irreparable damage to one of the original guns AFTER they were torn down, modified and rebuilt. The finish was nearly removed and left in the mould. In an attempt to hide this he simply asked the painter to modify the other to match along with the castings. The paint used was really just rattle can stuff out of an airbrush with the brown age effect being various tones of Mohawk rattle can wood toner again applied by an airbrush. One trick used for both gold and brass many times is the same color being an old version of rattle can brass paint. I still have some cans in the garage ill dig out and snap a pic. I can only speak for the Serenity film..

Pretty sure I have seen this garage in person ... not so sure you will ever find this paint can! But I am a fool for not reaching out to you first with this question lol..

Actually I should have said "dark" bronze. The dark elder bronze is made by a european model paint company. I've been trying to match the color for a while now and the D.E. Bronze looks promising but until the package arrives I will not know for sure.

the original can of paint used for the Serenity film to base paint Mal's guns and extra "clips"

IMG_0994.jpgIMG_0995.jpgIMG_0998.jpg

and that single original hard casting made for the film to see the layers of toner and color. Some of the colors are extra dark walnut, cherry, light oak and raw umber, then some areas were hit with a clear finish called "gun oil". All from Mohawk.

IMG_0992.jpg

a Phil casting painted the same way.

IMG_0991.jpg

and an original Serenity film hard casting of the clip which shows less wear.

IMG_0993.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back