Fierfek's Pep Fett, custom armor, and blaster (Finally new pics, new progress 12/19)

Peep Williams

Hey this is my first post here but I've lurked for a couple weeks.
I've attempted some small scale pepakura builds earlier but never a helmet and never one this complicated, but I think it turned out alright. I'm going to resin/fiberglass the inside and bondo the outside of this helmet.

Here's a shot from a couple days ago:

and here's where I am at tonight!

I'm having some trouble figuring out how I want to do the ears and rangefinder so for the moment I just decided to patch them up for fiberglassing.

I've also patched the dent as this will be a more generic Mandalorian.

Before I start glassing and bondoing, I have a small concern:

This area of the ridge above the visor isnt quite the shape it should be, it needs to be more of a 90 degree angle, and not slanted up.

If anyone has any tips or tricks for glassing the insides, fixing the warped area a bit, or tackling the ears and rangefinder that would be awesome to hear! Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Crank729

Sr Member
Re: First real attempt at costuming- Fierfek's Pep Fett

I can't really help you with your questions, But i just wanted to say good job!

Peep Williams

I actually have a few more questions as well haha, first: where can I get fiberglass/resin/bondo? what brand? and how much will I need?

Peep Williams

Update but with no pictures as I don't have access to a good camera at the moment.

So I resined, fiberglassed, and started my bondoing, but I'm a little worried about the bondo as this is my first time ever using it. I've put my first coat of bondo on and sanded it mostly down, and now I know what the term "rough as a badgers arse" means... There's quite a few "pockets" or dimples in the bondo and my dome isnt quite dome-ey... that is to say there's still parts where the paper edges are too high compared to the bondo.
Also The raised band above the visor going around the helmet is proving quite impossible to actually define, as well as most of the edges such as on the cheeks. I am trying to get those edges on the cheeks to be hard edges but it seems impossible with the bondo. I always get a soft edge.

Would it be good for me to go over with some more bondo in trouble spots right now, or prime it grey and then go over all the spots I find?

Peep Williams

Alright I got a camera working, here's after I glassed the inside

and then bondo'd and sanded roughly (keep in mind I have little clue what I am doing)

Then I went ahead and bondo'd just a TAD bit more and decided to hit it with some primer to see how bad it was for my next bondo.
With flash it doesn't seem so bad

but without it you see all the crap

Here you can see where it's worst, I really need to fix those

And here you can see some problems I am having with the dome.

Until next time I guess.
and I thought the cutting and gluing was hard...

j0wE

Re: First real attempt at costuming- Fierfek's Pep Fett (UPDATED W/ PICS)

for someone who says they don't know what they're doing, you're doing a bang up job! It looks good, be proud. As far as the little nicks and scratches, you can use Bondo brand finishing putty. The putty is ready to use(you won't have to mix anything, yay!) and fills little imperfections easily.

Peep Williams

Re: First real attempt at costuming- Fierfek's Pep Fett (UPDATED W/ PICS)

Thanks! I tried to do my research on the techniques... anyways I gave myself a nasty blister on my right index finger sanding so I'll take a break from heavy sanding for now.
I worked a bit on my custom armor also!
Here's where I'm at.

It's made from $2 lowes buckets, weathered just a bit with some scratches, pockmarks, and small blaster marks.

excuse the with/without flash pictures, some show certain details better.

and an overview with the helmet, all primed in grey.

This was my concept art, and will be what I paint it like hopefully

rosskow

Re: First real attempt at costuming- Fierfek's Pep Fett and custom armor (Updated 10/

i great to see another fett/Mandalorian build, i know what you mean about getting though fine/sharp edges on the ridge and cheeks, i've been struggling to get them myself.

looks like your build is progressing steadily and well, good luck with further sanding sessions

DanielS

Re: First real attempt at costuming- Fierfek's Pep Fett and custom armor (Updated 10/

It looks great! I've not even dared to go that far xD
You're idea of the paint job is awesome, I love it! :D
I'll sure keep an eye on this threads development :)
Good luck on the rest of the build.

/Daniel

Peep Williams

Thanks for all the good words guys! I still have absolutely no idea how I am going to tackle the ears, nor do I know what to do for the visor yet, but I'll get to those later.
In the mean time I might go get some finishing putty to help with the pits and scratches in the helmet, or I might just go over the REAL trouble spots first with more bondo, sand, and repeat! haha
If anyone has any idea how I should do ears, the strip above the visor, or anything else I'm struggling on, shoot ideas my way!

bodyhammer999

Hey bro..

Great job so far!
What color is your flightsuit going to be? I am guessing green?
I had a blast making mine.However i didn't create the bucket by scratch!lol

Looks great man.
SO what do you want to do with the strip above the visor?

Peep Williams

I actually have NO idea what color flightsuit i'll have. I didn't plan that far ahead haha! My problem with the strip above the visor is that I can't for the life of me define it with the bondo!

bodyhammer999

Well since i see green on your bucket, that was my primary guess. lol.

If you can't define it, simply mark it off with some painters tape and just paint it?

rosskow

the ridge around the bucket is tough to define sharply with bondo, you can always use a little foundation for it e.g. cardboard and then put some ontop (thats what i tried to do) or you may be better building it with milliput, i've not quite figured out the material yet, still working with it but terra1 and others swear by the stuff

TigerStoneFX

Excellent start there. I'll be following this one :)

Nat.

Peep Williams

Milliput might be a good idea, however i've never used it either! I'll have to experiment with some stuff. I've been working on the armor a bit more than the helmet lately, but I cant even work on that much at the moment because of school. Eh It'll get done eventually.

I painted each armor piece with a basecoat of silver, then applied mustard to the battle damage to mask it off. I then primed the piece with grey primer again and mustarded again a little bit larger area to simulate different paint layers. When I get the paint I will be using I'll paint over the new mustard and then rub it off when the paint has dried.

Here you can see the armor so far, and also you can see the handle of a gun I'm working on. It's just a cheap build, but it's kinda cool.

and here's everything I've got so far

rosskow

Re: Fierfek's Pep Fett, custom armor, and blaster (small update 10/18))

im waiting to see how this mustard idea pans out, what did you make your armour plates from, pep files, if so, whos? or another way perhaps?

Heatshock

though personally I am not a fan of the custom mando - I applaud your build.

as for the mustard idea, it work! The Cloners have used it before over on Ct.net. Most thick-ish condiments work. Mustard is better then most as its less running then ketchup generally.

Nate

Lando

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow, never tought about using mustard, I wonder how good it works