Fiberglass resin question

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by duke nukem, May 10, 2012.

1. duke nukem

duke nukem Active Member

Hey all, great site you've got here. You guys and gals sure do impressive work!

Now my question, which I hope hasn't been asked before, but I couldn't seem to find it on here or elsewhere. When applying resin to a pepakura model (for instance, helmet), I see that the main type used is the Bondo brand resin, like this:

[​IMG]

Now, my question is, is that stuff the same as this:

[​IMG]

Cause stores near me seem to not carry the first one, only the second one. They appear similar, but I'd rather know for sure before I buy. Thanks!

2. The Ronin

The Ronin Well-Known Member

Yeah, They're basically the same thing. Polyester resin. The major difference is just the label.

3. duke nukem

duke nukem Active Member

Good stuff, thanks. Wasn't sure if it was just a label thing or there was some important difference.

4. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I use the bondo thats made for fiberglass, its supposed to be different to adhere better but Im sure its not by much.

5. duke nukem

duke nukem Active Member

Well I'll try this and see how it goes. Thanks.

6. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

I'll bet those are exactly the same thing. Post some results, let us know how it worked.

7. torsoboy

torsoboy Active Member

There might be some minute chemical difference between the two, possibly along the lines of making one more resistant to weather, but I'm putting my money on them being the same exact product. Companies like this market their product to various customer markets, and in doing so, they need to label them accordingly. By putting a wholly automotive/vehicle repair label on one, you can sell the product in auto repair/parts stores more effectively. By putting a home improvement type label on it, you can sell it in home improvement stores more effectively.

What I find ridiculous is that here, locally, we have both those labels AND a 3M label of the same thing. They're all the same exact product, especially so since 3M owns Bondo, but the 3M labeled stuff is like $4 more expensive because you're paying for a more widely-known brand name.

8. Solochaser

Solochaser Well-Known Member

So as an example. You would apply the compound on the inside of the peparaku model or exterior?

9. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

Yes. :)

There are lots of ways to do this, but the most common is to build your pep model, and brush a thin coat of resin on the outside. That creates a rigid shell that is much easier to work with. Having a (somewhat) hardened shell makes it possible to apply resin and fiberglasss cloth to the INSIDE of the helmet to create a very rigid platform. Once the inner shell is hardened you can begin adding body filler (like Bondo) to the outside.

You should go here and spend the afternoon reading.