fiberglass question

berserk wolf

do i need a respirator when i sand fiberglass? I'll be working on an Iron Man Mk VI armor and this will be my first time working with fiberglass. any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Regards,

Marvin

Yes, you need a respirator, latex gloves and some kind of eye protector for the fiberglass mat particles.

I had fiberglass particles in my eye before. The eye is irritated for weeks and is permanently stained red in the area.

I guess this is part of the reason many people don't like working with fiberglass.

It's mainly been covered, but yes. Wear a long sleeved shirt if possible, some kind of gloves, respirator and eye protection. There's only one way to find out if your skin will be irritated by the fiberglass dust, and that's to not cover up. Given how badly some people react to it, it's easier just to cover up.

I react BADLY, to the point I've considered a hazmat suit for future use, SHOULD I ever even consider it. Well, that and to freak out the neighbors by pressure washing the house while wearing it...

Hopefully, if you are doing this indoors you have a window. Set an old-school fan in the window blowing towards the outside. It will at least help pull some of the air out of the room and provide some ventilation. If you have two windows, set up another fan blowing into the room to keep it somewhat fresh.

Another question guys. I can get a respirator at Home Depot right? And (I kno this is off topic) I got some fiberglass Iron Man armor and I tried on the thighs without putting gloves on. Will my skin get irritated?

No, it's not that bad. What irritates the skin is when you sand it, and the fiberglass gets ground up into a fine powder, which can get into the pores of your skin, and make it itch. After all, it's essentially microscopic shards of glass. Merely wearing a fiberglass piece without protection won't do anything, unless it's been badly made, or is continually rubbing against your skin.

You should be able to get a respirator from a hardware store, yes. Tell them what you're working with and they should be able to point you to the right kind.

No, it's not that bad. What irritates the skin is when you sand it, and the fiberglass gets ground up into a fine powder, which can get into the pores of your skin, and make it itch. After all, it's essentially microscopic shards of glass. Merely wearing a fiberglass piece without protection won't do anything, unless it's been badly made, or is continually rubbing against your skin.

You should be able to get a respirator from a hardware store, yes. Tell them what you're working with and they should be able to point you to the right kind.

Thanks hez! So like when I sand the armor, I need to basically cover up my body?

Thanks hez! So like when I sand the armor, I need to basically cover up my body?

Yeah -

Its a good idea to get

good respirator mask - nice rubber seal on it - one rated for fine particles
I Highly recommend a painters/mechanics jumpsuit/coverall -
Box of disposable rubber/latex gloves

I'll assume you've got a good ventilated space and fan (unless you can work in the open air)

Resin and fiberglass is BAD on skin - full on evil if you breath it when you sand it. Besides long tern health issues - its just a plain bugger to get off of skin.

Cathat

Hmmm... I've been looking into starting work with some fiberglass, having this information beforehand is very, very helpful. I'm extremely paranoid about getting anything in or around my eyes, to a degree that I despise eyeliner pencils.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back