fiberglass over epoxy

Philby

just wondering if any of you knew,....

if i wanted to fiberglass the inside of a bio made of epoxy resin ,.....
should i sand it first or will it adhere with no problems ????

just got a P1 stunt bio from george and wanted to strengthen as much as possible,...
but DEFINATELY don't wanna fu** it up ,......

Before you do anything to it, makle sure you wash it with Dawn or something of that nature. Hell, I wash mine between each round of sanding and such. It's cleaner than our silverware, lol...

Not sure if you've seen my thread in the aresenal, but I've been using the KwikPlastik Epoxy Putty, by JB Weld, found at Home Depot to strengthen and what not...

Before you do anything to it, makle sure you wash it with Dawn or something of that nature. Hell, I wash mine between each round of sanding and such. It's cleaner than our silverware, lol...

Not sure if you've seen my thread in the aresenal, but I've been using the KwikPlastik Epoxy Putty, by JB Weld, found at Home Depot to strengthen and what not...

yea i did see that ,......i'd rather just use that ,.....
but does it bond without sanding down the glossy innerds ???

i just want to steengthen the brow,......and both cheeks,......once i got the eyes cut out the only thing holding it together are the 2 cheekbones ,....
wanna make sure it never gets fu**ed up ,.......

what about that plumbers putty ???

epoxy will stick to resin no problem,clean as said above but definetly sand it before applying fiberglass.like a 220 grit.good luck!

right on guys,......thanks for the heads up ,.....

just now when i ran downstairs to get a pen
i chopped half my pinkie toe off,......OOOOWWWWWWW !!!!

i knew something bad would happen today ,....

Giving the bio a light sand isn't going to hurt the bio, if that is your concern. I had the same concerns about the cheek area and even "considered" using epoxy and carbon fiber. Obviously I went with the putty. It's easy to work with and $5 a tube. It's in the spray paint/caulk aisle at Home Depot. After cutting out the eyes, the bio is still quite structurally sound, though I still wouldn't want to drop it on our tile floors, hehehe...

FYI: You are not supposed to use Plumber's Putty on any kind of plastics.

One last tip George gave me, was once you are ready to paint it, spray the inside with PlastiSpray first. It is supposed to minimize the effects from it rubbing on your undermask. As has been stated in other threads, the stuff is "Death In A Can" so do it in a WELL ventilated area. I'll be doing it outside with my respirator on...

SEE LOOK ,..........

ha ha ha ,.......thats what i get for runnin

o and thanks for all the input,.....sorry to get gross on ya ,...

THANKS GEORGE.......i felt like **** all day ,.....but was smilin once i got to the post office,.....ha SCORE

Last edited by a moderator:
You can glass the inside of the bio if you want ..the fiberglass resin will take "as-is" . mold release was sprayed into the mold itself, so the back side should be release free. You should probably know a little about glassing first ..and it would probably be better while its in the mold ,or before the eyes are cut ..if the eyes are cut, you have more of a possibility of the fiberglass resin spilling through that hole and onto the front side of the mask. Also ..if you do glass back it, cut the edges off with a good sharp knife while the glass is still soft ..will save you a huge trimming hassle later. That being said, the two part "clay-like" epoxy putty stick will work just fine to re-enforce those areas. I wouldnt spend too much time with it in the crown area..it will add weight. Glad the bio made it to safe and sound ..and even more that you like it so much ..now on with the build!

That's it?! HA! Try taking off the corner of your finger with a compound miter saw and get back to me, lol...

well this is after i put the skin back on and cleaned it,.....

one of those,.......so deep it don't bleed for 5 minutes thing

right on george,.......nah i'm not gonna glass the whole thing,......just the sides that support top to bottom ,.....

rest is all good,.......it's drying right now,.....

Last edited by a moderator:
You can glass the inside of the bio if you want ..the fiberglass resin will take "as-is" . mold release was sprayed into the mold itself, so the back side should be release free. You should probably know a little about glassing first ..and it would probably be better while its in the mold ,or before the eyes are cut ..if the eyes are cut, you have more of a possibility of the fiberglass resin spilling through that hole and onto the front side of the mask. Also ..if you do glass back it, cut the edges off with a good sharp knife while the glass is still sort ..will save you a huge trimming hassle later. That being said, the two part "clay-like" epoxy putty stick will work just fine to re-enforce those areas. I wouldnt spend too much time with it in the crown area..it will add weight. Glad the bio made it to safe and souns ..and even more that you like it so much ..now on with the build!

yea thats more what i was thinking,......
probably just a few strips on each side should do me right,.....
i'll just layer it that way it doesn't run all over the place,....
gota wait to sculpt more til i get to work ,....grrrrrr

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back