fiberglass advice and tips?

Lockon13

So I am getting ready to fiberglass the pepekura for my destiny 2 release costume and I am realizing that my knowledge base is a little lacking. In have a grasp of the basics and safety. What I am mainly looking for is tricks or any advice that anyone can offer. And the only real questions I have are how far should I be away from other houses, and how does aqua-resin stack up against traditional resin? Thank you for your input

Cant comment on aqua resin, but I can offer some tips from my own experience.

If you have built your pep, just paint it with a layer of resin, not too thick or it might warp. This gives the cardstock some stiffness.

Get some fiberglass cloth, cut it into managable pieces (I would suggest around the size of a postit).
Paint some resin on the inside of your armor, lay on the pieces of fiberglass cloth when its still wet to stick them down, then go over again with more resin (so the cloth is completely wet with resin.
Allow to dry and marvel at how strong it gets.

Safety.... this is a MESSY task. things get sticky with resin, the cloth sticks to everything.... resin has nasty aroma.

Wear latex gloves.
Wear old clothes.
Use a breathing mask.
Do it in a well ventilated space.

My usual go to Pep tutorial thread has some info and pics of the fiber process ---- http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=255611

Thanks Uridium I do have a question about the fumes I have a neighbor near my garage where I am planing on fiber glassing and I am wondering if I will be too close for their safety or will the smell just annoy them?

You should be fine, the resin fumes are not too powerful.
If you are working in a garage with the door open, I doubt your neighbor will be affected, you will likely be using a small amount at a time.

I've only done it once (fiberglass a pep), on a Space Marine helmet. Best advice I can give, other than watching a couple of tutorials, is to do one section at a time. Don't rush and try to do the whole part at once. So (like my helmet for example), I should've done the back, then later maybe sides, then face. Instead, I did it all at one time. As it cured, the face warped; there wasn't anything dry/anchored to retain it's original shape. [emoji37]

I've only done it once (fiberglass a pep), on a Space Marine helmet. Best advice I can give, other than watching a couple of tutorials, is to do one section at a time. Don't rush and try to do the whole part at once. So (like my helmet for example), I should've done the back, then later maybe sides, then face. Instead, I did it all at one time. As it cured, the face warped; there wasn't anything dry/anchored to retain it's original shape. [emoji37]

Did you resin the card-stock pep first? or applied fiberglass directly to the card?

I would recommend a layer of resin first (not too thick, you don't want to completely soak your card). This gives some stiffness and support to the card.

Did you resin the card-stock pep first? or applied fiberglass directly to the card?

I would recommend a layer of resin first (not too thick, you don't want to completely soak your card). This gives some stiffness and support to the card.

Thanks for the tip! [emoji1303] I did it all in one step (1st experience, what can I say?). [emoji6]

Light coat of resin, layer of glass mat, coated with a little more resin. Most of it came out fine...except the one side of the face that makes him look like he's squinting. It was just a lesson learned. [emoji1303]

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back