FFX-2 Rikku Thief Blades WIP - PIC HEAVY

elro

Hey Guys!

Well, My HEV suit build is on hold until I finish a Final Fantasy X-2 Weapon set commision ive received. I have to create the 2 x Tiny Bee pistols, 1 x Paine skull sword, and Rikku's Thief blades. Ill Be getting molding / casting lessons from my good friend at Dreamweaver masks (Also works out cheaper receiving materials at wholsale price VS. shopfronts).

After pulling the model from the game, I through the over to EyeOfSauron to create a simple lineart of the Blade.

THANK YOU SO MUCH EOS - Saved me incredible headaches!!!

Ok So as normal, ill throw pictures in, then talk more if needed after each pic.

3.jpg

OBVIOUSLY, When starting something / needing to do something... A cat will come along and sit on it ><

4.jpg

5.jpg

Went through 3 battery charges before realising my girlfriends mum had a corded hammer drill. Also learnt that holesaws + MDF like to clog quicker than a fat mans toilet.

6.jpg

Had an idea that taping the under side would prevent 'blow outs'. Didnt really work at all, so I just drilled in on one side, then flipped it over and finished the job. I had drilled pilot holes so it worked out AOK.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Thats my new toy :D the Bosch Ventaro = Literally, dustless sanding. Also doubles over as a shop vac. The sander is only power by the suction of the vacuum. Left me broke for 2 weeks, but damn its worth.

10.jpg

Just a dry assembly after lots of shaping.

11.jpg

Then I sprayed spray putty, sanded with 240 grit, then applied blade putty.

1.jpg

2.jpg

So thats where Im up to. Not bad for 1 days work ;) Wouldve been easier if I couldve afforded to get a jigsaw instead of using my rotary tool with a dry wall bit / router base ^^;

Just sealing everything thing up before attaching the two rings. After they are attached ill be cleaning up the centre joins with builders filler and more sanding.

I know i have to seal all the MDF pores up before molding this, so what are some suggestions on what you guys do to ensure the silicone doesnt stick to the mdf? Ive thought maybe a gloss coat or two over the whole thing to seal it all off after the putties have been sanding flat???

Thanks everyone, hope you enjoy! HAVE FUN :D !!!

Last edited:
I know with wood you can use a clear coat spray (i've seen krylon mentioned) and it would seal it but i'm not sure if it would work on MDF.

I know with wood you can use a clear coat spray (i've seen krylon mentioned) and it would seal it but i'm not sure if it would work on MDF.

Was talking to a friend who has been teaching me molding and casting and he said that a gloss coat will be AOK over the top of MDF :p woot, full steam ahead now! :D

Hey Guys, Just a very Quick update (mostly pictures) Have almost finished the Blade, just needs some sanding on the inner ring before a layer of primer then Gloss.

Ive also been working on the Sword and Gun *For Paine and Yuna*. I made a mold of the emblem sculpt, and casted twice (my first mold ! :D)

I should have all these ready to start making the final molds by the end of this weekend (My current workspace is no go - Its my GF's house and she is overseas atm. Have been driving out west to my parents place to work over the last few weekends. 1hour 1/2 drive each way... Dedicated to working? or am I just crazy???

Anyways, here are some pictures! :D

27Piyazg

V59DcVjk

bEEnLUeh

qNupvumt

Anyways, Hope you guys like the progress shots!!! :D

Well, this weekend Ill be Primering, final sand, then gloss coating all the weapons ready for molding then casting :D I sanded these all down to 1200 grit paper, I even managed to get a reflective surface happening - Thank god for spray putty, that stuff rocks at surfacing.

And here are pics:
kVqeVHp5

After a long time searchign for the little round domes on the weapon, I managed to find some 24mm Teddy bear eyes that fit the size and shape perfectly - was only $6AuD for 18 eyes as well!
PGqdX9ez

TU5REI4z

j0AxzQEz

^ That took a while, the text was too small to use my dremel engraving bit, so I carved it out by hand with an x-acto knife
n8oprh17

And there is the reflection after some sanding :p

And here the full blade with handle, sorry for the blurry picture ^^;
Jhflk2T6

Last edited:
Hey Guys!

An update on these, they are currently being molded and casted with the help of my good friend Shannon at Dreamweaver masks DreamWeaverMasks on deviantART
DreamWeaver Masks | Facebook

These pictures are from last week, and the gun mold ended up a little thin so its being remade, but I thought id put some of the progress pics up :
XlEq8Sr5

RBt9Z8uw

Jc6qrLfk

qUwD9zIF

q5dSVKNn

OfEhuwUb

YkUSVhDI

Hopefully I should have them by or on this weekend!!! SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh hey there!
\
I forgot to update this thread >< The weapons did get finished!

HOWEVER : The masters, and the molds were at my friends house - WHEN HIS HOUSE BURNT DOWN... That really sucks... Lost a bit of money on this ****** project since I was going to cast more and reclaim my cost :( :cry

Here is a link to the girls with all their props though! :

Gullwings Are Go!! FFX-2 Girls by *Mijiko88 on deviantART

gullwings_are_go___ffx_2_girls_by_mijiko88-d4xiff4.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back