FF7 Buster sword foam build (first time)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

d503364

Greetings everyone.
I am working on a final fantasy buster sword for my teenage son (I have no idea what the sword is or any details. I am just going off a template.).
This is my first time working with foam for cosplay. I have built several cosplay items using pepakura with resin, bondo, etc.. so this has been different for me.

I used sheets of existing 1mm foam to layer over the harbor freight foam mats I used as a base so there are pieces of the 1mm foam that are joined together.
The issue I am having is that after I spray a layer of plasti-dip on it, those seams look really bad after I have used latex caulk to smooth them over.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_165416492.jpg
    IMG_20200806_165416492.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20200806_165411472 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200806_165411472 (1).jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20200803_113717847(1).jpg
    IMG_20200803_113717847(1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Rogviler

Sanding is about the only thing you can do, but foam sands well so you'll have positive results if you do it correctly. What were you trying to achieve with the veneer of 1mm foam? Just curious, as you might be able to do it a different way that would yield better results.

d503364

Sanding is about the only thing you can do, but foam sands well so you'll have positive results if you do it correctly. What were you trying to achieve with the veneer of 1mm foam? Just curious, as you might be able to do it a different way that would yield better results.

I was following an "Odin builds" video on youtube where he built on of these. It's my 1st attempt at working with foam so I just semi followed along.
At this point, I am applying a layer of wood putty to the areas that look so bad then sanding it smooth.
I'll repaint it and see what happens.
Thanks for the advice.

Rogviler

Oooh, haha I was going to look that one up and link it for you. He's very good with foam but I would not do my first project the way he does them. It takes a lot of practice that way. It's good for tips though and I like how much he does to build strength into stuff, which is my biggest complaint with foam pieces.

d503364

Oooh, haha I was going to look that one up and link it for you. He's very good with foam but I would not do my first project the way he does them. It takes a lot of practice that way. It's good for tips though and I like how much he does to build strength into stuff, which is my biggest complaint with foam pieces.
Yeah. Live and learn.
I just finished sanding the wood putty spots and painted plasti dip again. It looks better than the caulk streaks but still visible.
I'm hoping a couple layers of plasti dip and actually painting it will cover it up.

d503364

I wrapped the handle in leather and applied foam pommels to the top and bottom.
Did some sanding, applied foam clay in some spots and added few more coats of plasti dip.
It's still not as smooth as I would prefer, but I am just going to chalk it up as my first attempt at foam cosplay and learn from it.
Next step is to paint it using acrylic paints recommended on Odin Makes youtube video.
IMG_20200826_105610996.jpg

d503364

Nearly complete. The materia on the other side of the blade needs to be painted but other than that, I am marking this as complete.
I'm not happy with the wrinkles and bumps, but I've learned a lot from my first foam build!
IMG_20200914_104946245.jpg