Few questions from new member....

Jonluke1

Hi my name is Jonluke, first off I'd like to say what you guys do is amazing. I am new to the website and I'm making a custom predator suit with mostly household supplies, but I have read alot of the posts on what a good suit is gonna costs and the time it is going to take to build one. So I have just a few questions:

1: A good material to make the gauntlet blades out of, and how thick should they be?

2: When making the predator "utility" belt, any good links or suggestions for making one?

3: Last question, if I were to make a tri laser target, how would I go about that?

I would like to say thank you now to anyone who posts just incase I don't answer back soon.

1. Foamie / Sentra Foam / Buckets / Latex

2. Use your imagination. / Leather Belt, with Leather strips to make it more authentic.

3. For tri lasers, you need actual laser with diodes, can be expensive. Dont use LEDS for Tri lasers pointers.

4. GL HF

Hi my name is Jonluke, first off I'd like to say what you guys do is amazing. I am new to the website and I'm making a custom predator suit with mostly household supplies, but I have read alot of the posts on what a good suit is gonna costs and the time it is going to take to build one. So I have just a few questions:

1: A good material to make the gauntlet blades out of, and how thick should they be?

2: When making the predator "utility" belt, any good links or suggestions for making one?

3: Last question, if I were to make a tri laser target, how would I go about that?

I would like to say thank you now to anyone who posts just incase I don't answer back soon.
I made my blades out of acrylic plastic, which was about 1/4 inch thick. You can find acrylic plastic (sometimes called Plexiglas, but that's a trademark) in the window department of Home Depot.

I haven't really tackled making a "utility belt" yet. The belt on my P1 suit is just fabric webbing that holds the codpiece, butt flap, and thigh armor in place. I'll probably update all that soon.

As far as a tri-laser target goes, if you want to use actual lasers, you could possibly experiment with taking small laser pointers apart and then making a housing that will hold them all together. I had trouble doing this, though, since it was very easy to jostle the connections at the laser diode and ruin it. I ended up using LEDs for my target, which was probably better anyway since I didn't have to worry about blinding anyone at the convention.

Oh, and as far as a firestorm goes: Personally, I don't mind answering specific questions from people. It's kind of fun to talk about props and ways of making things. But when someone comes along and says, "How do I make a suit? I have no idea what goes into it and I haven't read up on any of the processes and I want someone to spoon-feed me all the information," then it can set people off. Actually, nobody actually writes out that second sentence, but it's kind of implied. Since the poster of this thread says he's in the process of reading up on everything, though, that's the attitude I like to see.

Thank you all for the replies, I understand what you mean elkman with the "How do i make a suit" sentence. Im doing my best with looking at pics from the movies to build my own suit. I only recently found this site after I already started building the suit. Again thank you all for the suggestions, and next time I'll read forum rules before i just start posting. :D

Thank you all for the replies, I understand what you mean elkman with the "How do i make a suit" sentence. Im doing my best with looking at pics from the movies to build my own suit. I only recently found this site after I already started building the suit. Again thank you all for the suggestions, and next time I'll read forum rules before i just start posting. :D
If you've got a suit you're already building, I'd like to see it. You should post it in the "Overall Work in Progress" section. Or, just post it with your introduction message. Either way, I'm sure you'll get some good advice and some pointers. Welcome aboard!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back