Fett's Ship.......... Slave 1

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by dsp5500, May 2, 2015.

1. dsp5500

dsp5500 Well-Known Member

Pretty intensive last month & half getting this finalised. Reworked all the models including the skirt prototype I made.
    Mostly due to finally sorting out a reliable simulation of thermoforming. These models take into account the distortion caused during the thermoforming process.
    So we will see how they turn out soon. Im thinking mighty close warts n' all.

Rob

s1.jpg
    S2.jpg
    S3.jpg
    S4.jpg
    S5.jpg

2. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

Nice router man!

dsp5500 likes this.
  3. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, you have the tools, you have the TALENT!

4. dsp5500

Ha!!!! Flattery Will Get You Everywhere!

5. sjanish

sjanish Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool Rob! I am especially interested in Big Bird's nest in your fourth picture. Any chance of seeing any of your 3D work on that? :p

235px-1975_big_bird_532w.jpg

moffeaton likes this.
  6. dsp5500

It's been affectionately named the "Wookie *" but I like yours much better :thumbsup

Chaank likes this.
  7. dsp5500

Had a power outage all afternoon so couldn't get much done, But well pleased with the dry fit, Still have to skim the bottom of each level but it looks spot on. Cant wait to get the first test pulls and get it all together.
    IMG_0595.jpg

knnyjay and moffeaton like this.
  8. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

It's like a lab!!
    Who knows what will come out from there!!

Love the slave pattern, another super acurate ship about to happen, great job rob.
    What's under the nest there???
    Mars

9. jawsmodels

jawsmodels Well-Known Member

Looking good Rob.

10. dsp5500

I told you about it but don't think i showed you the pics? Its the oven for the 5 foot Falcon acrylic domes.

Cheers Jason.

Rob

11. dsp5500

Only the Wing Wells and the Front guard left to do and the Slave Plugs are done.
    IMG_0621.jpg

moffeaton likes this.
  12. moffeaton

You make it look so easy. And I KNOW how hard it is, having tried with analog gear. I think you've proven that your digital methods are the best course of action for this kind of work.

13. dsp5500

Your not going to replicate all the nuances or for that matter the basic shape of a hand sculpted plug from an adobe illustrator profile like I've seen unfortunately Hahah. An SLS scan would be the ultimate but Photogrammetry comes in second.

14. el loco

el loco Well-Known Member

looks great Rob !!!

dsp5500 likes this.
  15. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Looks pretty fantastic!

Jedi Dade

dsp5500 likes this.
  16. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Will the model be built and proven before parts are ready for sale?

17. dsp5500

Not for public sale unfortunately buddy! Its large and at a minimum 6 sheet pull and thats if you don't stuff up the cut's. I don't even want to think about shipping that lot.

18. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

You need to be a advanced scratch builder to put this thing together,
    I made all my own parts and did all the forming myself........and I still
    wanted to blow my brains out putting it together. So God bless the non-public
    maybe we will see some builds?

Talkierg likes this.
  19. dsp5500

And a top job you done as well :thumbsup
    Totally agree with you, is any scratch build easy? Try building a Taun Taun armature form two blurry black and white photos lol That made me want to blow my brains out!
    Will we see some builds? Who knows, lots to do still. Got the rest of the plugs to do and machine an armature up.

Rob

20. dsp5500

Been getting bugged to finish this for a while ( Guess you want a Slave 1 :)) and caught up with some spare time in-between projects so here it is. Plugs re modelled with much better compensation for thermal stretch, re sealed and ready for vacuum forming. Sheets are ordered and will see first pulls this week :thumbs
    IMG_1096.jpg

knnyjay and Nwerke like this.
  21. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Fwoarrr, those shop pics Rob, geeze. Have mercy, that stuff would give anyone workspace envy, haha.

Plugs are looking great, you should totally bring those along to Noranda next month! IIRC we got nowhere finding a vac machine but I'm guessing you did locate a service in the end?

22. dsp5500

Yer cheers Martyn. I'll have to get details of you via FB on the club, would love to pop over. Ended up being a friend of a friend so worked out great. You should see the tank on his rig, looks like a mini sub! lol

23. dsp5500

For some reason i have the urge for a game of Star Wars Battle Front. Who's in. :lol

24. mslz22

mslz22 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well i am no expert on the subject, but this looks like a * fine representation. Kudos for going the extra mile and accounting for the distortion by the stretching, i usually just use the force in those instances and go by "feel".

For anyone that gets their hands on some it's a great starting point.
    mike

25. dsp5500

Cheers Mike, Don't underestimate your self. I would def consider you and expert on the subject matter :thumbsup

26. moffeaton

Will be an epic thing to show the guys at Wonderfest in June!

27. dsp5500

Hopefully you should get it there in time :thumbsup

28. motorroader

motorroader New Member

So this is the model Guy Cowen researched for you, spent countless hours on the phone to you explaining how it works because you couldnt do it. All you did was dictate it into 3D then took it for your own work, shame on you!
    Not a bad way to earn kudos, if you have to live at the bottom of a pond that is, and hey look, the chosen one is there ready to grab your wares, haha, he loves a good free meal :) nom nom nom!

29. dsp5500

Yer mate, Who's this tool with 1 post. Hmmmm I wonder lol
    Thats exactly what he done, designed, Cad modelled, scanned kit parts and worked out dimensions from said kit parts. made the model into plugs that could be machined. machined plugs then sanded and sealed them all along making sure they would keep dimensions while being vac formed. Should i go on.
    Yer where would i be with out Guy lol. What a JOKE

Oh and forgot to add all over the phone as well. What a guy.

You have to remind me did he also have anything to do with these?
    ATAT Prototype.jpg
    PD2.JPG
    Tie.jpg
    CC-Armature1.jpg
    Engine Front.JPG
    Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 4.31.48 pm.png
    IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG

Oh and these to

12694481_1507485862891605_2205768313836012860_o.jpg
    1965618_1383542235285969_1003968562102896006_o.jpg
    11953470_1463815507258641_3095187930331748098_o.jpg
    12697108_1507484066225118_9207454713648830890_o.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    qcfoundry, knnyjay and Nwerke like this.
  30. mbmcfarland

mbmcfarland Sr Member

So many excellent projects...

The Fett plugs look great! I don't know much about the history, but I'm glad you finally decided to finish them. Can't wait to see some builds!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

moffeaton likes this.
  31. dsp5500

Thanks Mike, Wont be long now. :)

32. motorroader

motorroader New Member

The Cloud Car is a replicated Coinprop model!
    The Probe Droid, yes, a lot to do with helping Mars create that correctly as a lot of his skirt dims were way off!
    ATAT, hmm looks very Master Replicas, why is that lol???

Hey, you asked buddy :)

33. dsp5500

Thats the best you can come up with (Lee) Watch it you will get banned again lol
    Can be all refuted by a simple tape measure lol
    Who here has the resin cloud car and would like to measure it for me to compare with my cloud car. Considering I have never even built any resin kits let alone seen one
    Same again with the what are to short MR ATAT Legs.
    Oh and i guess the Cloud Car Pilot was lifted from somewhere as well. lol
    Don't have much to go on do you? Infact Nothing. :lol
    Stick to playing with your toy cars, theres nothing you can contribute here!!
    10931316_1383329498640576_250012592228817973_n-2.jpg

qcfoundry and Nwerke like this.
  34. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

Hey motorroader
    Me thinks your name starts with an L
    Now that couldstand for a various things !!!
    I would not talk of things you have no idea nor knowledge of.

You could only wish you could come in here and show a portion of what rob and other talented people can do......
    Then there are those that buy a kit find a few parts and claim it's their model!! Lol
    Lots of those here
    Please do share your researched "dirt " you think yu have as with 2 posts I ask
    Who the **** are you??
    Then again as I said , I am sure you hbe been here a long time.
    So realistically its a matter of time before the mods find the new IP address you have joined in.
    It's only natural that people like me will react to comments from people like you , please do feel free to research all my other "way off" props I have made.
    And please don't compare Rob's work to other people as you have no idea what it is.
    Rob I am sorry to trash your thread with stupidity as we all know who this person is .
    Soon the mods will discover it and remove all these posts
    I will report this now

35. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

I have reported it already, won't be long before they clean this thread up from garbage that was let in.
    The anger and jealousy this guy has is incredible.
    If I was you rob I would not lower myself to prove anything as everyone knows the reason why he was banned from here before !
    There's no way the rpf will allow a member to join and after two posts come and start trouble.

36. dsp5500

Please don't report it Marcel!
    And Moderators PLEASE LEAVE ALL POSTS HERE.
    Ive nothing to be ashamed of and would like the rest of the community to see what kinds of people these guys are behind the scenes.
    Hows things in Paradise by the way lol

Nwerke likes this.
  37. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Uber Slave skins! Its a good thing I made our slave symmetrical... didnt want my Slave to have all those wonky shapes!! Great Job.. I just read this thread... motorroader 2 posts? really so who are you a sock puppet of? your accusation on the cloud car are inclorrect.. I bought the coinprop cloud car pattern and got boned in a crooked deal with a banned member of the engine section. So I know this project well. I can assure the Cloud Car bodies are not from my or timeslips kits. I can say this Robert helped us this past big project more than I can thank in words. The NDA will lift soon and I will be posting a write up of everything that went into it included the model makers and folks that contributed. Thanks Robert for your attention to detail! Cant wait to show everyone the things you did over the past 6 months!!! Slave pulls are spot on from what I understand it highly accurate. Great Job!

38. dsp5500

Thanks Steve, High praise indeed considering what you and Mike pulled off in a hand full of days.

39. mofo77

mofo77 Well-Known Member

very exciting work rob.great to see guys over here in the west doing this sort of work.:)

Nwerke likes this.
  40. dsp5500

Thanks Mate :thumbsup

41. moffeaton

So was Motorroader a sock puppet for someone? Pretty disturbing and sad that whomever it was, they have been "lurking" since late last year with that account. That's what Guy Raz used to do and it makes my skin crawl.

Nwerke likes this.
  42. dsp5500

lol second timed banned. So funny.
    Who knows for sure unless you check the IP Jason, Losers at any rate.

43. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Holy cow, what the hell was all that patent nonsense. That was (probably) Lee? And he's banned? And that's what he's become now?!?!

I recall vouching for him behind the scenes once or twice with people he'd offended; told them he's a firebrand but worth knowing. How sad to see something like this. :( :( :(

44. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

Still, after years and years of research by a relatively small group of people who not only discovered pretty much all of the original donor kits used on the original Slave 1 miniature, and after all of the false starts on hulls of various designs and dimensions that were ultimately scrapped after it was determined that the donor kit parts didn't fit here or there, and after all of the reference collecting, photograph taking and sharing for the purposes of developing a whole new understanding of the original model through photogrammetry, why is it so difficult for you guys to share just some of the credit for Rob's "all-new" design with that group?

Frankly, having personally witnessed that group do all of that hard and expensive work, my trust in an entire group of people here depends on an honest answer to that question.

MonsieurTox likes this.
  45. moffeaton

I can only speak for myself, but when ever the Slave 1 is invoked (like summoning a demon), I make it a point to credit the backs of whom everyone stands on to get it where it is today (in all it's various iterations - I think there are three simultaneously now?)

It all started with Allan Hansen, who's probably $5-7K in the hole with nothing to show. He's the godfather of the project and suffering the most.

IDers were Ed Minto, Dan Loes, Isel Caro, John Currila, Lee Ralph, Julien, Guy, for sure. I assume Neisen had more guys IDing too, but off the top of my head it was those fellas at the time, and the first version was born on Kurt Kuhn's board.

REL made the first go round from what turned out to be mostly Max Mill's initial work, and made a handful of fiberglass hulls. Since these were ported off the Fine Molds model and scaled up, they were no bueno.

I spend a couple thousand a year or two later, trying to make parts of a bad fiberglass casting work - enlarging the skirts mostly, per Allan's guidance. George Takacs had a guy do a run in vacformed plastic, and the results were incorrect and displeasing to a lot of people. Attempt aborted.

Guy partnered with Rob from the ground up, then it fell apart.

Guy has a new project with his crew, Rob continued what he started with Guy, and there's the Disney one that is clearly ready for primetime, though probably not up to the exacting standards of the hardcore small group of guys that have fought long and hard (with each other and to get a Slave 1 made).

I'm SURE I left stuff out, but that's an overview?

I have, since the failed vac run, been waiting for the first viable Slave 1 from some one else to come to market. I still have enthusiasm for it, but I'm not dying on that hill again.

Scott Graham and -... . .- --.. like this.
  46. moffeaton

They all share DNA with Allan's first push. I just hope he gets one, if he even still wants one.

47. Guy Cowen

Guy Cowen Sr Member

For the record I'm not in a crew or a team or part of what just happened above. My love is the model and am trying get one made with a talented artisan to help me do the work that I can not do myself as am a complete idiot with rhino, not even that good with iPads!!!

I had my say a year ago and moved on to better things, Rob should be left in peace to do what ever it his he wants to do with our skave 1

"Our" meaning the fact that way more than myself and robs work and time and love went into what me and Rob did, no matter how it ended all that matters is the ship gets its respect

It's a lovely ship , I know I've spent a few hrs or 2 looking at it in depth and can't wait to start building mine

I hope those that get robs enjoy it too, and it doesn't sit in cupboards ... Why bother going through all we did to see it collect dust, there was no way I was going to do that so people get your glue and exacto's out as Rob is back and so is Slave1.3.5.2

I like the V 4 myself :)

Allan will get what ever he wants and is already aware of that so am sure he's quite happy

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Nwerke, -... . .- --.. and moffeaton like this.
  48. moffeaton

That's good to hear!

49. marsattack

marsattack Sr Member

Posting this

I do have a question which i will also post in guys thread later but not as yet as I am gathering fun facts too
    From many emails.
    Why is it that an orignal Star Wars models fitted with a skd232 part and id by some useless ****** having no life at the time but to sit in front of his computer stroking cats
    And finding it off a sprue ...... Make a model ownership claim??????
    Isn't the true fact that the part is what it is??
    Does it mean that no one else can find it as it will be a stolen id?
    Does it mean that no one else can use that part and try and fit one from another tank??
    I also say that if the person didnt want it to be known ..... Why did he tell a living soul??

As you can see it's all bul@@@@ , same goes for diamensions!!!
    Some can scale and some can not!!
    At the end of the day the diamesion is what it is from a Star Wars model not from a member!!!!
    Are you guys thinking here straight???

Niesen published a probe droid , was able to because he bought the ownership( didn't know you could buy ownership)
    I made one with rob as I saw that rob had very valuable talents that could help me make probably the most Acurate droid ever!!!
    This is my claim, sure I read the thread as to what those wankers wrote and yeah saved me a lot of trouble searching for parts that honestly I didn't want to , but the part is what it is , I didn't steal anyrhing , I bought the correct kit and used the part.
    Sold 25 kits to help pay for everything and not another one sold again!
    It wasn't for money !!
    It wasn't for claim.
    Rob and me came up with a Paintjob that probably second to none,
    Identical to the pictures , shared the info and done.
    These other wankers praise themselves about having the best this and best that and I came up with this and came up with that .
    That's mine and that is his or whatever , then they want to say that the probe droid is theirs???
    I found 3 parts for the probe droid
    Only because every other part was displayed everywhere else .
    It's from the same freakin kits anyways and it's only a matter of time till someone finds it .
    It is not mine anything!!
    A lot come here and buy a model , dress it and think they own it , where is the talent in that ?
    Go make one , gather all info from whoever will give It to you
    Say thank you or pay them with a model and go produce one!
    This used to be a great part of the forum ,
    One great thing after another , now its full of idiots amd idiots that make comments and other idiots like me that comment on top of that .
    Then it became about having soemthing that no one else could have but at all times let people know about it,
    It's such a waste everyone could have everything but you know what
    Then it could only be left to the painting skills........
    And these morons aren't that good at that either so it will still be a sh@@ fight about telling what paint they used!!!

Wankers and morons , I will let you guess who they are , they are not that many , then there is the sheep that follow and praise them , those have no model, no talent , no id , nothing !!
    One last thing
    Can you wankers stop posting "emailed you those dims""
    Emailed you those ids!!! Emailed you about that thing!!
    Just email him for f@@k sake!! no one cares what you did privately !!
    You don't have anything so stop making it sound like you do,
    You haven't discovered gun powder , amd unless you stole the ilm model and have it in your pocession , your guess is as good as mine, furthermore if you don't want to share it , no ones cares!!

Mars

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    qcfoundry, Rats, 3phase and 3 others like this.
  50. dsp5500

Incoming EMAIL!