Fertility Idol / Indiana Jones

justasecond

Dear all,

and Hello! this is my first post here on the forum.

I got inspired to make a sculpt of the famous fertility idol from the Indiana Jones movie. Its a solid body (not hollow - maybe unfortunate) and completely build from wet clay.
As a reference I used images I found on the internet. The main one is the image from the Prop Store Collection.
The green one with the "realistic eyes" http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp...tore-collection-raiders-fertility-idol-01.jpg
I still need to add some details like the toes and nipples and the surface finish could need some kind of polishing as well. Want to wait till the clay is completely dry and then carve it in.

It came out a bit on the large side. The total height is about 25.5cm (10 inch). Mainly because it was my first wet clay sculpt that big and complex.
The biggest goal for me on this sculpture was, beside making it as accurate as I possible could, to get the expression right.
Some artistic changes I made: The hair lines are cleaner and more even as on the reference images I used and the kid has some sort of bigger grin on his face.

I will keep you updated on the progress and looking forward to your comments, questions, suggestions

Thank you and best regards.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 233
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 235
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 263
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 247
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 265
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 224
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 214
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 211
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 233
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 244
thank you so much for your feedback. It is very encouraging!

andrea1984 absolutely. I would love to do a small batch.
Well, I need to read in the molding and casting world first. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with it.
If someone has some good tips or links on this topic. I would highly appreciate it.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back