Fdileague's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry Optimus Prime

fdileague

Starting with the pep proto that I downloaded from Home | Pepakura Costumes I just wanted to get a basic layout and size it properly for my son's head before I went to foam. I used foam from my local auto shop and I found these 6mm foam sheets at Michael's.
2013-09-25 21.20.46.Jpg2013-10-15 23.01.48.jpg2013-10-15 23.01.59.jpg

I like to deconstruct the paper in larger forms to reduce the amount of seams (noticeable in the cheek and mouth pieces).
2013-09-30 23.39.20.Jpg2013-10-02 22.30.47.Jpg

almost done with the helmet. Before I continue I wanted to do a fitting with my son to make sure it will fit on his head.....:cry:facepalm

2013-10-04 00.22.38.jpg2013-10-04 22.14.21.jpg

It did not fit. I forgot to size for the thickness of the foam and came up about a half inch short on the dome. I had to take everything from the mouth above apart and rebuild the thing again.

2013-10-10 07.12.52.jpg

After the rebuild and before I add the finishing touches I wanted to make sure the thing fit. :D Now it's time for the venting details in the cheeks and mohawk and the ear antenna. I also wanted to cover up some odd seams with some added detail pieces that also give it some more cool angles.

IMG_1971.JPG2013-10-15 23.23.33.jpg2013-10-15 23.24.04.jpg2013-10-15 23.24.12.jpg

The flash washes it out a bit but you can see I added a second detail to the mohawk. Added mostly because the pep file has some collision issues. I also wanted the brow to end on a block piece rather than merge into the ear flaps. I also added a bit of depth to the eyes by adding a little angle piece in front. I like the additions. I know it changes the original helmet, but they did serve a function by covering up some weird seam/collision issues.

Last edited:
Re: Optimus Prime G1 Costume for Son

I went looking at Home Depot for the vent details in the cheek and the mohawk. I found 5" soffit vent covers. They worked perfectly.
2013-10-15 23.34.55.jpg2013-10-15 23.24.46.jpg2013-10-15 23.25.01.jpg

2013-10-10 12.49.17.jpgIMG_1975.JPG

Ready for paint. Flattened all of the glue seams. I used a wood burning tool to flatten the glue down. Others have tried to use the tip of the hot glue gun to flatten the seams down...this does work great for areas where there is a little ooze out, but when there is a lot of glue to be removed I love to use this little wood burning tool that I got from Michael's

2013-10-15 23.54.26.jpg2013-10-15 23.54.32.jpg2013-10-15 23.54.38.jpg

IMG_1966.JPGIMG_1973.JPG

Time to flatten the foam from the roll and layout the pieces for the torso. I like to go back into the pep files and rejoin the pieces into very large pieces that i can fold instead of giant glue seams. I am cutting the front and sides as one solid piece.

IMG_2061.JPGIMG_2063.JPGIMG_2064.JPGIMG_2065.JPGIMG_2067.JPG

Finished the Upper Torso shell. Need to cut out the windshield sections and add the front grill. I think I have decided to turn whole body into a clam shell with magnets so i can reduce the hole sizes for his head and arms.

- - - Updated - - -

Added the front grill
IMG_2071.JPGIMG_2072.JPGIMG_2083.JPG
Just like before I found a soffit vent cover to use for the grill at my Home Depot.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 244963View attachment 244965View attachment 244962

Finished the Hips last night. My Halloween window is closing fast .

Looking good. I am making a G1 Optimus for my 4yr old as well. Mostly done besides the helmet which i have not been able to start yet. Darn life. If you think you may run short on time you may look into 5 mm foam sheets if you havent finished the other parts. I got differant colors that matched pretty well to his color scheme at hobby lobby. That way i did not need to prime as well. I painted over mine but in a pinch it looked pretty darn good before i painted.

Keep it up. Looks Awesome.

Chad

I should be ok on time now. I finished the forearms and half the biceps. I just need to do the thighs and shins. Then should be ready for PVA on Saturday, bummer the cold may slow down the amount of coats I can do in one day. Good luck with your build as well!

looks great. can't wait to see the finished product....might have to pick your brain on some of the pieces, since now I want to make one for myself but am an idiot when it comes to foam(or maybe i'm using the wrong kind)

IMG_2142.JPGIMG_2143.JPGIMG_2144.JPGIMG_2149.JPG

All done. I plan on posting some detailed pics later. If you have any questions feel free.

Well 99.9% done I still have the exhaust stacks on the shoulders to stick on there. Got tired I'l do it tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

looks great. can't wait to see the finished product....might have to pick your brain on some of the pieces, since now I want to make one for myself but am an idiot when it comes to foam(or maybe i'm using the wrong kind)

Anytime. I'll help you out anyway I can.

IMG_2154.JPGIMG_2157.JPG

First test fitting. Had to make some minor adjustments. The silver biceps are not going to work if he wants to be able to move his arms at all.

Hey man Costume came out Awesome. My son's Optimus debuted last night and got a great reaction. Looks like his will to. A word of advice or you may have taken into consideration already is him walking in those legs all night. You may want to consider him wearing some grey pants about the same shade as the waist and forgoing the thighs. It will improve his mobility alot especially with stairs and honestly didn't take much away from my son's costume. We ended not using his because when he walked around the house he kept getting tangled in his waist section and lower legs and tripping him up.

Only other question is can he see out of his helmet with it on well enough? Looks like in the pic his eyes would be in about the middle of the mouth guard.

You are an Awesome Dad for taking this on. Good luck finishing and have fun Trick or Treating!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back