Favorite TV Shows of Your Youth

Collectorchris

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
i was just readeding the Battlestar Gallactica 40th thread an have been watching MeTV the last few months rewatching some of my favorite shows from my youth ( late 70’s early 80’s). I don’t know if there is a thread like this, but I thought it would be fun and maybe we can remind each othe of cools shows and see how they stood up to tha last 30 -40 yrs.

Battlestar Gallactica
Buck Rogers
CHIPS
Happy Days
MASH
Mork and Mindy
Growing Pains
Family Ties
Disney Sunday Night Specials
You can’t do that on Television

This is a small list of ones I remember watching and liking, some because my parents watched and I was responsible for turning the channel

Just a quick few off the top of my head in my teens from the 70’s,

Ellery Queen

Starsky and Hutch

The Magician

MASH

Cannon

Happy days

Battlestar Galactica

Battlestar Galactica

The Incredible Hulk

Charlie's Angels

The Gong Show

Dukes of Hazard

Little House on the Prairie

That's Incredible

Happy Days

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom

I can't remember how many seasons Starsky and Hutch had, but the first season at least was some of the best cop stuff ever on TV. After that, when it became a hit, it jumped the shark really hard!! Became all this disco comedy stuff. Pathetic.

Baretta was a good one.
S.W.A.T was awesome. They were like the superheroes of the police.
Little House on the Prairie was great until Albert came along.
Charlie's Angels..well, what can you say? Lotta boys learned how to masturbate to that show.
HEE HAW was the Laugh-In of country music.
Star Trek OT was over by the time I got into it, but I saw a few reruns here and there. But man, I was full on into Next Generation during college.

Star Trek TOS was still available as re-runs when I was a kid. I watched anything on TV that was remotely like science fiction - Logan's Run, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Man from Atlantis, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Planet of the Apes. Even The Starlost - possibly one of the worst science fiction shows imaginable. Spiderman (with Nicholas Hammond), the Incredible Hulk, Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman and Batman reruns (Adam West) were also favorites.

Wild Wild West was one of my favorites and it was on at the same time as Star Trek OT, at least in 1968, and I opted more for that than Star Trek. Even though I saw a number of TOS episodes when they first aired I really got into it starting in 1970 when it was shown monday thru friday on WPIX in New York at about 6:00PM.

Dukes of Hazard
Adam West - Batman
A-Team
MacGyver
Magnum PI
Knight Rider
ALF
The Wonder Years
Air Wolf
Quantum Leap
Fraggle Rock
Muppet Show
Fresh Prince
Buffy
X-Files
That 70's Show
3rd Rock from the Sun

Graduated high school in 99'

Supercar
Fireball XL-5
Lost in Space
Voyage to the bottom of the sea
Iron Horse
Addams Family
Munsters
Beverley Hillbillies
Laugh-in
Hollywood Squares
Match Game
McCloud
Colombo
Ultraman
UFO
Star Trek
Jackie Gleason
Tonight Show staring Johnny Carson
Jack Benny Show
Red Skelton
Dean Martin Roasts
Dark Shadows

Graduated High School in '74

Last edited:
Star Trek TOS was still available as re-runs when I was a kid. I watched anything on TV that was remotely like science fiction - Logan's Run, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Man from Atlantis, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Planet of the Apes. Even The Starlost - possibly one of the worst science fiction shows imaginable. Spiderman (with Nicholas Hammond), the Incredible Hulk, Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman and Batman reruns (Adam West) were also favorites.

Loved all the shows listed above ( Lindsay ‘ Bionic Woman ‘ Wagner was a crush ) with the possible exception of “ The Starlost “ - doesn’t ring a bell here in Aus as a teenager!?
One particular show/series I really got into was ‘ Robotech ‘ , unlike so many other animated stuff on television at the time , the story and themes delivered on this were somewhat new and ‘ adult-ish ‘ for what was essentially a kids cartoon .
Loved the serialisation of it , the characters and most of the vehicles , which were later purchased and built ( when available in stores )... still have a few them packed up in a box somewhere .
Later learned it was a mash-up of certain Anime films..., that’s what in turn lead me to another favourite pastime ...collecting anime films :)

Last edited:
I cannot believe I forgot about some of these, and that I didn’t think about The Incredible Hulk Knight Rider, Air Wolf, and Dukes of Hazzard off my list.

One particular show/series I really got into was ‘ Robotech ‘ , unlike so many other animated stuff on television at the time , the story and themes delivered on this were somewhat new and ‘ adult-ish ‘ for what was essentially a kids cartoon .
Loved the serialisation of it , the characters and most of the vehicles , which were later purchased and built ( when available in stores )... still have a few them packed up in a box somewhere .
Later learned it was a mash-up of certain Anime films..., that’s what in turn lead me to another favourite pastime ...collecting anime films :)

I'm one of the people who introduced Carl Macek to anime, I think he first saw Macross because he borrowed my tapes. So yeah, you're welcome, I guess. :)

As a real little kid I loved He-Man, Thundercats, and the Smurfs. From time to time I would watch G.I.Joe and Ninja Turtles, but I mostly played with the toys from those franchises more than I watched the shows.

I used to love Three's Company. I haven't seen it in years but John Ritter was a master of physical comedy.
Wonder Years was a favorite.
Golden Girls. Yeah, I said it. It's just as good now too as it was then!
I used to love the Young Riders, though I watched a few clips recently and it was pretty terrible. Though westerns were and still are a favorite genre of mine.
Those are the only ones that really come to mind just trying to think of shows on the fly.
From time to time I would watch Star Trek: The Next Generation if I needed a Sci-Fi fix from TV (though admittedly I had to be in the right mood because I was more of a Star Wars fan -ie. Space opera vs. Science Fiction)
Quantum Leap was a favorite too.

As a teenager I got into Dark Shadows.

I watched and rewatched a LOT of movies too, though back in the day our movie collection was a handful of blank VHS tapes that each had 3-4 full movies taped from when they aired on television. It's how I discovered Raiders.

Sorry for the long list, but I was a total junkie back then. :D

A-Team
ALF
All in the Family
Are You Being Served
Astro Boy
Barney Miller
Battle of the Planets
Battlestar Galactica (TOS)
Benny Hill Show
Black Sheep Squadron
Bob Newhart Show
Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show
Carol Burnett Show
Colombo
Dukes of Hazzard
Flintstones
Get Smart
Gillian's Island
Gong Show
Hawaii Five-O (TOS)
Hilarious House of Frightenstein
Hogan's Heroes
In Search Of
Jeffersons
Little House on the Prairie
Kolchak - The Night Stalker
Magnum PI
MASH
Mission Impossible
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Muppet Show
Odd Couple
Partridge Family
Robotech
Rocket Robin Hood
Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
Rockford Files
Prisoner
Sanford and Son
SCTV Network
Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman
Space: 1999
Spider-Man
Starsky and Hutch
Star Trek (TOS & NG)
Time Tunnel
Transformers
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Welcome Back Kotter

Totally grew up on The Andy Griffith Show. I'm sure I've seen every episode at least a hundred times. Still the best show ever!!!

STAR FLEET!!!

I highly doubt anyone else knows what I'm talking about, but I would still love to see models made of the X-bomber and Dai-X.

I'm sixty so my list is a bit nostalgic- (all original runs)

Star Trek
Time Tunnel
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Lost in Space
The Prisoner
The Outer Limits
Supercar
Space Patrol
Fireball XL5
Stingray
Thunderbirds
Captain Scarlet
Get Smart
The Addams Family
George Pal's Puppetoons
Wacky Races
The 8th Man
Gigantor
Bewitched
Laugh In
The 21st Century
My Mother the Car
Car 54- Where are You?
Mister Ed
Dragnet
Highway Patrol
Seahunt
Flipper
Daktari
Alias Smith & Jones
Rat Patrol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back