Favorite sound effects?

KrangPrime

Master Member
Klingon cloaking field

Enterprise D Bridge sounds

Enterprise D Warp Core (Reminds me of background noise of power plants in BTTF 2)

The Ninja Turtles 87 series transdimensional portal (both 88 and 90 versions)

The comlink Sound effect of turtle and shredder coms.

Kitts scanner.

Danger mouse and the floating 'alien' robot from 'mars'.

Danger mouse and the 'Dream Machine' cloud...

Musical interlude - Thames Logo ;o)

Penny's Computer book button sounds..

Claws Computer book button sounds...

That's all i can think of at the moment...

Fun Fact. the Turtles Turtle Com sound effect originated (I THINK) with The Last Star Fighter as, IIRC, the Death Blossom activation sounds.
You also hear ninja turtle sound effects elsewhere everywhere after the showed aired. Most notably the Portal Effect for the Urkel Bot when his glasses lit up....
And the Blaster Sound effects (first AND second versions). Oddly, I also heard the Portal Sound effect from 1988 in a William Shatner Next Generation documentary for about 4 seconds. it popped in there and it took me a second to identify it.

I love it when shows take the time to develop unique effects. especially when you're a kid.. you may forget the show, as in dangermouse, but the sound of the EFFECT comes back, especially if it scared you as a kid ;o) (like a sesame street short about the making of horns. i had forgotten all about it, until I saw it online!)

Transformers transforming sound from the original cartoon.

Robocops leg holster opening up and closing.

The sound of the sword of omens extending.

Can you tell when I grew up?! Haha

Cool, I recognize this from the crash sequence in Planet of the Apes.

:)Spockboy

- - - Updated - - -

If we're just talking films, non-genre specific, I've always been fond of the sound of footsteps from older films.

Agreed.
This is a great sequence for that.

:)Spockboy

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're just talking films, non-genre specific, I've always been fond of the sound of footsteps from older films.

is it weird that once you notice it, the footsteps of the turtles walking has to sound exactly right, because they don't wear shoes? ;o)

the original series had a kind of hand slap against hand slap sound to it that was very distinctive..
and when you not notice it there, it sounds weird ;o).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghostbusters Proton Pack power up

ALIENS Pulse Rifle/Smart Gun firing sound. How the fudge did they make that? How did the DVD/Blu-Ray with it's hours of content not discuss that once? It was so unique!

The slow energy build up sound used in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (During second warp attempt, both incoming V'Ger plasma bolts and the V'Ger tractor beam) and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Gaining speed during Time Warp).

My Favs are......

War of the Worlds (1953) - Martian War Machine Hum
Battlestar Galactica - Viper Lasers
Return of the Jedi - AT-ST Cannons
Godzilla's Roar
Aliens - Motion Tracker
Blade Runner - Deckard's Apartment (ambient)
Mad Max - MFP Sirens
Indiana Jones - Punches

Off the top of my head, these are my Top 5 favorite Star Wars sound fx.

* Lightsaber
* Forest Speeders
* Vader breathing
* Rancor (the sound he makes as he stares at Luke right after snapping the bone in half that Luke had lodged in his mouth)
* Seismic Charges

The Wook

ps~As for other movies, I'll have to think about it some more. But my obvious first choice is Jurassic Park's T. Rex roar!

For me (and this has already been mentioned), are the engines from the original Jupiter 2. The effect was also used in the Time Tunnel.

Until SW came along in 1977 sound design was pretty bland in sci fi movies. Energy beams were variations of the same sound - War of the Worlds beam, phasers etc. But SW really opened my eyes because the sounds were so unique and really helped the environment.

Lightsaber sounds - startup and swinging. Unlike high pitched "laser" sounds common to sci fi films the lightsaber sounds gave it some "weight" and a sense of "air" around the blade - as if it had substance. Just the fact that it varied as the blade moved through the air was awesome.

Blaster fire - also a departure from "laser" sounds. Actual blaster bolts of energy had movement and were dynamic which worked great for fights. Typical static lasers didn't lend themselves to great action scenes. e.g. in Star Trek firefights were essentially folks standing still or emerging gracefully from cover before firing a beam. With blasters you can have Han Solo running from stormtroopers and blaster fire. You can't really do running with phasers.

Even the fact that there was variation in blaster noises added to the atmosphere.

TIE fighter engines - that roar is such a great sound. Like the other sounds it's wonderfully dynamic.

1. Cylon eye / KITTs scanner sound (woo-hoo) 2. Cylon Raider lasers (the one and only "ZAP!") 3. Viper launching / KITTs Turbo Boost 4. "Ka-Woom!" (from BSG, Buck Rogers, Knight Rider, A-Team, ... ) 5. TOS Galactica laser turret from the pilot movie ("Pishong!")

The Millennium Falcon Engines... whether they worked or not. ;)

If I listed all my favorite star wars sounds, it'd take too long;o)

And yeah, I love it when shows not only update sound effects, butmodify them. shows a level of detail.

for instance, the Original Technodrome background noise was from an old nuclear reactor sound, mixed in with some pinball sound effects.

They updated it in1992 to sound a little more snyth like, and it's really noticeable.

Also forgot one favorite, the Sky Cutter sound from Thundercats.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back