Farscape John Crichton Season 3/4 Short Jacket Build Thread (likely to be pic heavy)

TeeKay

So, Farscape is getting on a bit these days, there aren't that many of us Farscape cosplayers still about. Still, I mentioned in another thread that I was planning on working on a Farscape costume over the summer and a couple of other members expressed an interest in seeing a build thread, so here it is.

The costume I'm making is John's short black jacket introduced in the third season of the show (as opposed to the vest/duster costume which was his signature costume) This is the one I'm talking about ...
Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 13.42.41.png

One of the first things I got when making this jacket was the buckles. I had been looking for the correct buckles for this jacket for years, believing them to be YKK buckles I scoured YKK's website looking for them but always came up empty. However, someone in another thread found them a little while ago. Funny story about the buckles, When I ordered them, I placed an order for enough to make the jacket and have a few spare. They arrived, and then a few days later another package arrived with some more buckles which I didn't order, I wasn't charged so I'm assuming it was a dispatch error. Anyway, instead of having enough buckles to make one jacket with a few spare, I now have enough buckles to make five jackets!! LOL!

Unlike the other costumes, this is the only one I've not seen in person, and as such I've been having to work from screen shots. Thankfully, the design of the jacket is very similar to the vest design.
IMG_3005.JPG.jpegIMG_3006.JPG.jpeg
So I used this in other to make my base pattern, the upshot of this is I now also have a pattern for the vest. I've made a few adjustments to the original pattern for sizing and have knocked up a few tests using calico. This is where I'm currently at.
Photo on 27-07-2017 at 16.48 #3.jpgIMG_3072.JPG.jpegIMG_3073.JPG.jpeg

I've nailed most of the sizing, but I still have a little work to do before I move on to making the final piece out of leather. I need to lengthen the sleeves a little, and widen the panels at the front so that they join when the jacket is done up.

However, since I'm working from screen shots, I'm missing some of the finer details. The sleeves have zips on the bottom and I'm currently unsure of where they should be positioned, I know for certain it's not on a seam, but I need to hunt down some more screen caps which show it off a bit better. My plan is to make one final mock-up to finalise the pattern, then it's onto the leather to make the final.

Re: Farscape John Crichton Season 3/4 Short Jacket Build Thread (likely to be pic hea

Nice. Farscape holds up much better than most shows. And the costumes were excellent. Nice choice!

Re: Farscape John Crichton Season 3/4 Short Jacket Build Thread (likely to be pic hea

I will never tire of seeing Farscape builds. Loving it so far!

I love that show!!! I felt the last season got off the rails a bit, but overall an excellent show. I love his costumes. I've always wanted to make his vest.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back