Farscape holster pics, and info needed,.

Hi guys,
I'm sure slow on looking up what's being done on this forum. Well, I've only been on it for a few months anyway.

I designed the first season Peacekeeper armour & helped sculpt & mould all the bits back with Stdio Kite in Sydney (our workshop was the other side of the wall to Farscape's first prop n creature shop at Fox Studios, Sydney.

We were given the gun for me to create the thigh piece to hold it.

I wanted (within the rush time to design it) to have the lines of the gun blend in nicely without going all the way to making a "Robocop" sort of gun-delivery mech' (although we WERE tempted, as I LOVE that gag).

All of our masters were made from PVC Pipe, foam, body filler, etc. Whatever worked to suit the look of my sketches (I can post em, if you'd like). Then we made very heavy-walled, Aluminium-filled Epoxy male Vac-form bucks with ultra-high-density urethane foam backing. The pieces were generally Vac-formed in 3mm hair-cell Black ABS.

Most of the extremity bits were also vac-forms. The calfs were a neat front/back pair that cupped into each other nicely and were held with these rather nifty mostly-plastic Ski-boot clips which I've not seen on the market since.

The helmets were sculpted from scratch in oil-based clay, with the visors being sourced for GATH, a Western australian Sufing Helmet company that made these beautiful full-face visors. A bit wasteful though, as I really wanted that 3 part thing happening, so we chopped 3 of them for each helmet! Helmet molds were in silicone/fibreglass, then slip cast in Era polymers TU971 Urethane, carefully cleaned, primed with loctite 770 (BEST primer EVER!). then We had them Vacuum metalised at Finished products™ Sydney, with a deep grey plasticised lacquer finish coat.

The rest of the body armour was heat-formed EVA240/350. Almost shoe-sole tough (same stuff i used to make Yahoo Serious's armour out of on "Reckless Kelly"). We just patterned all the main shapes, then had a series of very large domes to form them over. Just used a sheet of heavy spandex to pull each bit down into shape while forming/cooling.

And, lastly, all the small bits were generally model-made masters, silicone molds, sometimes fastcast, sometimes TU960 urethane, and vacuum metalized.

Sad part is - having rushed it all at the time - I took no pics at all! and have been looking intermittently for some ok ones ever since. Also, not too far back, during a big culling, Studio Kite threw out all the master molds!!! (waaah!).

Cheers,

Woz

Hi guys,
I'm sure slow on looking up what's being done on this forum. Well, I've only been on it for a few months anyway.

I designed the first season Peacekeeper armour & helped sculpt & mould all the bits back with Stdio Kite in Sydney (our workshop was the other side of the wall to Farscape's first prop n creature shop at Fox Studios, Sydney.

I wanted (within the rush time to design it) to have the lines of the gun blend in nicely without going all the way to making a "Robocop" sort of gun-delivery mech' (although we WERE tempted, as I LOVE that gag).

All of our masters were made from PVC Pipe, foam, body filler, etc. Whatever worked to suit the look of my sketches (I can post em, if you'd like). Then we made very heavy-walled, Aluminium-filled Epoxy male Vac-form bucks with ultra-high-density urethane foam backing. The pieces were generally Vac-formed in 3mm hair-cell Black ABS.

Most of the extremity bits were also vac-forms. The calfs were a neat front/back pair that cupped into each other nicely and were held with these rather nifty mostly-plastic Ski-boot clips which I've not seen on the market since.

The helmets were sculpted from scratch in oil-based clay, with the visors being sourced for GATH, a Western australian Sufing Helmet company that made these beautiful full-face visors. A bit wasteful though, as I really wanted that 3 part thing happening, so we chopped 3 of them for each helmet! Helmet molds were in silicone/fibreglass, then slip cast in Era polymers TU971 Urethane, carefully cleaned, primed with loctite 770 (BEST primer EVER!). then We had them Vacuum metalised at Finished products™ Sydney, with a deep grey plasticised lacquer finish coat.

The rest of the body armour was heat-formed EVA240/350. Almost shoe-sole tough (same stuff i used to make Yahoo Serious's armour out of on "Reckless Kelly"). We just patterned all the main shapes, then had a series of very large domes to form them over. Just used a sheet of heavy spandex to pull each bit down into shape while forming/cooling.

And, lastly, all the small bits were generally model-made masters, silicone molds, sometimes fastcast, sometimes TU960 urethane, and vacuum metalized.

Sad part is - having rushed it all at the time - I took no pics at all! and have been looking intermittently for some ok ones ever since. Also, not too far back, during a big culling, Studio Kite threw out all the master molds!!! (waaah!).

Cheers,

Woz

WOW! thank you so much for sharing this info with us, and I'm so glad your have joined us here.

I have wanted one of the season one holsters since I first saw one on screen.

I am still looking to buy a replica one. (or make a replica if I have to)

Any other tips, or tricks you might have on those pieces would be fantastic. (any pictures you might have would be great as well. weather the be in progress, or just of the finished product. :) )

The info on the helmets and other bits was very informative as well. I would love to have that stuff too. I may never get to take on replicating those pieces but it's always nice to hear info, on such great prop/costume items.

BTW, If you know anything about the Pulse rifles don't hesitate to start a thread, and tell us all about them. :) (there is a WTB thread about them now, but it would be nice to have a regular thread to just discus them, in general.) Threads, offering info, on any of the props/costumes, is more then welcome. (I do have one about DRD's that is just begging for info. :) )

Hi guys,

Cheers,

Woz

That is easily some of the best info we have had to date on this stuff. Great to have you here! Please post anything you might have, pics, drawings, anything would be a huge help to us!

Cheers!

WOW! After all these years, and he plunks right down here where we need him!
Can't wait to hear more stories and see more pics!

I agree, I could never find anyone doing the holsters back in the day so a buddy and I crafted one out of leather, in our own style. Went better than we thought and had a custom crafted look to it. Need to dust it off and post some pics up.

WOW!
Thanks guys.
Always been so busy just "gettin the job done" to think to take many pics of on the movies I work on. Way back in the 80's I was all "gotta take pics of EVERY mold, sculpt, nut & bolt, etc...". It seems to be only in retrospect that I get to finally look back at it all and think "WOW!". Especially finding this community of people so appreciative of all the effort & craft we go into just doing our jobs - which, at the time, just happens to be making really cool someday-to-be-very-geeky stuff fo movies.

Any more questions you might have about the season 1 armour might even jog my memory a bit more. Havent had to recall it all for sooooo long (I now WINCE every time I think about the boss having thrown out all those master molds the other year).

I'll try and add some more stuff as I think of it.

Cheers,

Woz

Ok, here's one. The release lever at the top, the once pushed, kind of pops the Pulse pistol out to the mount/holster. Is that a found item (i.e. off the shelf), or was it custom made for the holsters?

Also, where they the same color/fish as the pistols? In some pictures they seem to match, but in others, the color/finish looks a little different, but that could just be lighting.

Oh, and was there any kind of padding to the inside of the holsters? I noticed that in some pictures, it look like there may craft foam, or something inside, the holster to protect the finish of the pistols, but again, it could just be a trick of the light.

can you explain at all how the spring clip on the season one holster worked or what it was made out of? All these years that is still something I cant figure out even looking right at it. Would love to see your sketches or anything you have left! Wish i had got a chance to maybe hang out when i was in Sydney in 09!

6547034613_418d81b962_o.gif

These are the best shots i have left of what I made (long gone now).

6547014843_bbe279ca16_o.png

6547014919_763153b9d5.jpg

6547015001_f434c88a3e_o.png

6547015115_621144f59f_o.png

6547015173_d1bc293869_o.png

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've come looking for a way to create one of these, and have done some thinking on the 1-2 season holsters.

Looking at some source material it shows quite clearly how they managed to get the clip to function, in the basic 'stop it from falling out' way. But I believe that it also serves a second feature. Now its late and i might be wrong in this memory, but doesn't the clip also 'pop' the gun out into the users hand?

The image below shows the brace (not falling out) spring, and I think that the main 'rebound' (keeping the clip it ins shown position) is based in the bottom section closest to the leg, on a level with the finger tips. The clip has a indent on the same level as the rebound spring, which if it fits into the thinner section of the handle just below the main section of the gun (using lots of generic words here, sorry) it would provide the 'pop'. only a small thing but would help with drawing and such??

PDVD_143.jpg Photo by jackdoud | Photobucket

just my two cent.

EDIT:
PDVD_218.jpg Photo by jackdoud | Photobucket
This photo shows hows the rear of the gun is forced out by the clip, which would match the slight flare of the holster that can be seen in towards the bottom/rear.

Last edited:
Well, after chatting with Reaper63 I'm pondering a way to create one of these too. I don't have access to a vac table so I'm going to have to get creative to make something lighter weight and get the same look. But all the pictures and information on this thread has been super helpful (thanks everyone for posting your work and screen caps) and at least given me a starting point so when I can conjure up some time to work on this I may try. It's even inspired me to try and wet form my own later season holster since I'm picky about materials too. lol

Threadomancy time. I am helping the wife to put together an Aeryn Sun outfit, and one of the last things to tackle is the holster. As she will be wearing the season 4/PKW Long coat, I will be tackling the 3/4/PKW holster. From the images posted here, I have been able to draft a rough pattern that I will tackle first in pleather (as I have a few yards), and if it works out well, I will eventually reproduce it in leather. Expect some images here, or in a separate thread.

-Adam

Heya Scapers!

Just wanted to give a bit of a peek on a full leather s3-4 Pulse Pistol holster I made this week. Now that the prototyping is done, I'll have em on offer in the near future.

This was a bit of a collaboration between myself (who did the holster/belt leatherwork) and fellow local prop builder FXArtist (on TheRPF) who makes a beautiful pulse pistol. There are some minor variances from the screen used holster, but I did my best to build as accurate a representation as I could.
We tested a few different pistol kits today to make sure the fit was good and that the pattern would accommodate the other kits that are out there :D

More photos available, if requested.

p.s. FXArtist makes a nice fiberglass and leather s1-2 holster too, if people are still looking. I'll pester him to post some photos in this thread soon!

From one fan to another,
Enjoy!
-Parkersandquinn
multi1.jpg

Ended up making Crichton's belt pouch too. One thing I've always hated about most costumes- there's hardly ever any pockets!
I did adjust my pattern to make the side pouch more narrow (more accurate) after assembling this one, as it was slightly wide on the bottom.
Prototypes hardly ever come out perfect, right?
So now Dimensions/Stitch-work and Size are accurate, based on the reference photos provided by TeeKay (Thank You!)
Wasn't sure where else to post this- as I'm still kinda New to TheRPF..but wanted to share with people who would appreciate it...Besides, the world needs more Farscape and Farscape replicas!
Enjoy!
pouch.jpg

Looking FORWARD too seeing more and when " if " your going to offer them
to us here at the RPF ? I'd Never wear one, TOO damn fat.. LOL...

But it would make for a WONDERFUL display !
One thing you RARELY see is HOLSTERS for weapons used on Shows !

Looking FORWARD too seeing more and when " if " your going to offer them
to us here at the RPF ? I'd Never wear one, TOO damn fat.. LOL...

But it would make for a WONDERFUL display !
One thing you RARELY see is HOLSTERS for weapons used on Shows !
Hey there Wolvster,
You are right. I see so many beautiful props, but hardly any of the supporting accessories- which can be as difficult (if not more so) to make sometimes!
Thanks man, I actually do have them on offer- the holster and the belt! (in my shop- the link in the signature)
but just haven't been able to do a junkyard/classified post- as I'm not at the post minimum yet.
Planning on going to a premium account once i make the post requirements, and then posting an interest thread and a run thread.
Trying to be a good girl and abide by the rules in the meantime :)

Dunno if I'll offer the pouch beyond a run or 2, as they are a terrible p.i.t.a. to make, but I'm sure there are a few collectors/costumers who would be interested- hopefully.
Time will tell.

Thanks for the kind words!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back