Farscape Food Cubes

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sporkey, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

I was waching Farscape recently, and I became curious as to what the food cubes were made from. They can't be plastic or anything as the cast actually eats them, so they must be made from some sort an edible substance. So I was just curious if anyone had any intel about them.

2. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

A good question, I myself have been thinking of make some Soilent green.

3. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

Dunno about the Farscape cubes, but Soilent Green's made from people.

4. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

Well I was thinking of making crackers myself. Nothing on google so far on the food cubes for info. Do you remember if they were hard or soft. I was wondering if they were colored marshmellow or they could be cubed fruit.

5. Sporkey

The cubes appear to be soft, but not as soft as a marshmallow, definately like fruit, and while searching I found this comment from Claudia Black on the food cubes in the episode 'DNA Mad Scientist':

"Now, these food cubes, I know this is a bit killing the mystery, but they're called 'Hawnalis'. It's a fruit. H-A-W... an Asian, um, some kind of like a sweet... biscuit."

Now I've seen the food cubes do look different from episode to episode, so I'm curious as to if they are always made from the same stuff or if they are made of different food in each episode.

6. Sporkey

after some more searching I found a comment that stated most of the food cubes were colored bits of tofu. I guess that really solves my question, but also I can't seem to find any information on the 'hawnalis' that is mentioned, anyone else know anything about it?

7. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jedi Prop Maker13 @ Jul 7 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]1276288[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know anything about "hawnalis" but I do know what haw is. It's a Chinese candy made from a puree of Hawthorne berries. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haw_flakes

8. jediscout

jediscout Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Reverend Scapegoat said: "Dunno about the Farscape cubes, but Soilent Green's made from people."

:lol I wondered how long it would take before that was mentioned...

9. Sporkey

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    After comparing that to screen captures of the episode, it appears you hit the nail on the head with that one, thank you very much.

10. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member