Farscape DRD Sculpt 1:1

FXArtist

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After a long search of the internet the only kits left out there that I could find were recasts according to other threads here and weren't very good. I finally have given up looking and started doing something productive by making one. I welcome feedback thoughts and reference photos! I only started this build a day and a half ago (August 12, 2014) so please understand it is still super rough. Here is the progress up to today.

DSCF0814.JPGDSCF0816.JPG
DSCF0818.JPGDSCF0819.JPGDSCF0821.JPG

well, the first milestone is the shell and to make sure it looks as screen accurate as possible. The idea is to make it as a kit as easy for you to apply your own electronics to as possible. My plan is to make it to where every part is separately cast and easy to customize to fit any application. Not something you have to cut apart and try to figure out how to make it fit together again I personally am looking at making it as a platform to explore a wide array of ideas incorporating rc, programmed and computer controlled options, but honestly the first big step is to make sure it looks accurate.

I will be watching this one with great interest. Always happy to see farscape get some love :)

If you do a kit, you can gladly consider me interested.

DSCF0823.jpgDSCF0825.jpgDSCF0828.jpg
Moving slowly but it is moving. In the third pic of the side I think I took a bit too much off the bottom... I will fix that when I get to the putty stage... this DRD's first job is going to be to clean up the mess his creation has made.. :)

LightStalkMovementTest.jpgFirst Layer Putty.jpg

Okay, finally started the putty layers... still far to go, but could't help dabbling a bit with some of the mech design... this is my test build for the light/eye stalk left right movement

The Puppetry museum in Atlanta actually has a DRD on display, or did, at least.

Thank you for that information... I wish I had a way to see it in person.. regretfully I am in Dallas. I have started watching the series again from the beginning... so far I have gathered the following reference shots
john fix drd.jpgfin down lights up.jpgabove sho on side.jpgPreg Moya DRDs.jpgquarter shot.jpgside shot.jpgVacuum DRD.jpg

I know there are a ton more in S01E10 I will be grabbing those today. I welcome any photos of the screen used DRDs!

I spent the last week looking at measurements... my first idea wasn't working for me. I want to publicly thank jackdoud for his hundreds of screenshots and laser measurements... it would have taken forever and probably four more builds to get it right without his help. Anyway finally got good plans printed up yesterday and started the new build... a long way to go but I think it is starting in the right place now. Here is a quick shot taken by my phone... I will post better shots moving forward
.IMG_20140826_033803.jpg

Here's three pics I collected from somewhere of a DRD at the Atlanta exhibit. Credit to the original poster.
They're fairly high res. Hope they help.

Attachments

• center-puppetry-arts-atlanta-jim-henson-exhibit-farscape-labyrinth-etc-img_1536.jpg
    center-puppetry-arts-atlanta-jim-henson-exhibit-farscape-labyrinth-etc-img_1536.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 413
  • center-puppetry-arts-atlanta-jim-henson-exhibit-farscape-labyrinth-etc-img_1537.jpg
    center-puppetry-arts-atlanta-jim-henson-exhibit-farscape-labyrinth-etc-img_1537.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 440
  • center-puppetry-arts-atlanta-jim-henson-exhibit-farscape-labyrinth-etc-img_1538.jpg
    center-puppetry-arts-atlanta-jim-henson-exhibit-farscape-labyrinth-etc-img_1538.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 627
It's awesome to see someone tackling this project!

@pook1333 - Those pics are great! I never noticed that the eye stalks were metal conduit.

So today I tackled the center top "lid" that moves up showing the spinning LEDs... it took half a day but it's pretty closeDay 3 ringflash.jpg it will be easier to see once it's painted

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back