Farscape: Crichton's Recorder Found

jackdoud

Sr Member
So I've been on a major Farscape kick lately and have been screencapping the hell out of it. I was surprised to find that no one's IDed Crichton's microdiskette recorder yet:

FlightRecorder2.jpg

FlightRecorder6.jpg

So I went on a hunt and found it:

IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4733.jpg

It's a Sanyo TRC-580M, the only additions are the IASA sticker on the back and a black square over the Sanyo logo on the front. I got mine on Evilbay for $20 though you can still find them new for $35-$45 online. The cassette isn't exact, the ones in the show were clear but the one I have (came with the recorder) has inaccurate black peices on the inside. John's were clear through:

FlightRecorder8.jpg

I've got some other stuff IDed though much of it's been found before. I'll start up another thread eventually for everything else. If anyone needs screencaps of anything let me know, :):thumbsup

Last edited:
I think I have some mini cassette tapes at home. If you can tell me how big the tape is, and if the ones I have match, I'll send you one.

I think I have some mini cassette tapes at home. If you can tell me how big the tape is, and if the ones I have match, I'll send you one.

As far as I know all microcassettes are a standard size. Mine are 1 7/8" by 1 5/16" by 5/16" or 5cm by 3.3cm by .8cm.

There are a couple scenes throughout the series where John talks to the recorder. I'd love to get it on the cassette though the only way I have to do it is holding the recorder up to the speakers. Anyone know a simple way to minimize the background music so I can get just the speech? Fortunatly those scenes usually have very subtle music so I'm hoping it won't be too noticeable.

Last edited:
If you use a 1/8" Plug to 1/8" Plug and plug one end into the headphone/line out jack on your computer/speakers and plug the other end into the mic/line in jack on the recorder, your recording will be much better quality wise. If you let me know which episodes the recordings are on and the times in the episodes they happen, I can d/l them and clean the music out of the clips and post them for you to download.

-Kyle

If you let me know which episodes the recordings are on and the times in the episodes they happen, I can d/l them and clean the music out of the clips and post them for you to download.

Awesome! I can remember at least 3 times he used it off the top of my head though the only ep I remember is at end of the first episode. I'll collect the rest and let you know. :cool

If you let me know which episodes the recordings are on and the times in the episodes they happen, I can d/l them and clean the music out of the clips and post them for you to download.

Here's the episodes and times for the first season. I don't remember him using it much after that but I'm going to start poking through season 2 and will post if I find more.

Season 1
Premier 47:11-48:46
That Old Black Magic 47:10-47:39
A Human Reaction :07-:09
:28-1:22
Family Ties 11:12-11:23
34:57-36:45

:cheers

I have successfully removed background music and sound effects from B9 Robot lines from Lost in Space.

If you find what episodes and approx time codes, I can capture the audio from the DVDs and process them the best I can. Then provide them in what ever audio format you want.

It's not going to be perfect but it can come close.

This is fantastic! I've been looking for one of these for years. I've got to get one, it will look so cool next to my puzzle ring like the one John's Dad gave him in the first episode. :)

I was at prop party recently, and wall some of the other prop folks new what some of my Farscape props were, most of the folks basing through, not only didn't know what the props were from, but when I told them, they hadn't even heard of Farscape. :( I was starting to feel like I was the only Scaper left. It's so nice to see people talk Farscape again. :)

Alright, I finally got through the rest of the series. The only other time Crichton uses the recorder is in the last episode of Season 4, Bad Timing. It's not in the miniseries as he leaves the recorder behind for Earth in that episode. Time stamps are 19:17-19:44, 19:56-59. Anyone that can capture the audio and remove the background music (but not the sound effects) for all the times I've listed I'd be indebted. Otherwise I'll try just hooking the recorder up to my comp and recording the scenes straight. :thumbsup

I finally tracked one of these down for a "good" price. I won it on evilbay for about $8. but the seller, took a week to get back to me with a total, and when He did, he charged me over $17. to have it shipped from England. :( (and that's just standard shiping, nothing fancy. :( ) Oh, well, it all come out to around $26. witch is still cheaper then it retails for. :) (as long as he actually ships it, and it gets here.)

Anyway's i was wonder how the whole audio file thing was coming. I would love to put them on my cosset as well. Also, Were did you get that great IASA decal, and if you made it, can you post the graphic?

Last edited:
I've figured out all the episodes/times he used the recorder and listed them here, haven't gotten around to recording them onto my cassette yet. The logo's in the paper prop section. :thumbsup

ARG! I guess I posted to soon, I guess I should have waited until I had the item in hand, because I never got my recorder. :( I hate having to buy something twice, now I have to hunt down another one, and pay all over again. :(

Oh, well such is the chance you take on evilbay.

ARG! I guess I posted to soon, I guess I should have waited until I had the item in hand, because I never got my recorder. :( I hate having to buy something twice, now I have to hunt down another one, and pay all over again. :(

Oh, well such is the chance you take on evilbay.

Sux man, I pulled the audio from the episodes and recorded it on my tape. I did some inexpert removal of the background music with the programs I have, it sounds good on the computer but is still prominent on the tape. I managed to convince Ben Browder to record a quick clip for me at Dragoncon as well, I'll try and get it digitized and then post all the clips for anyone that wants them. :cool

I \FINALLY got one of these. :) It's a little scratched up, and I ended up having to pay $20. shipped for it, but I'm happy with it. :)

Now I just have to print, cut out, and apply, the IASA logo, and black strip in the front.

This is the EXACT recorder I bought to help take notes years ago in my freshman classes. I stored it when I switched to digital.

Ahh, gonna have to tear my place apart looking for it now. I sure hope I didn't throw it out...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back