Farnsworth Discussion

I'd first have to cut the metal in a way so the signal isn't interfeared with and have a single button to answer and using the actual dials to control the volume. So there are some issues with it. It's becoming more and more plausible but need to figure out some software/hardware work.

I'd first have to cut the metal in a way so the signal isn't interfered with and have a single button to answer and using the actual dials to control the volume. So there are some issues with it. It's becoming more and more plausible but need to figure out some software/hardware work.

The reason I said cell phone so quick is because I've already considered this.

Here is the only 4G phone I can find that has the correct (or close to correct) screen ratio that will also likely fit in the Farnsworth case.

LG Optimus Vu 3 III F300 F300L Android Unlocked WIFI GPS 5.2" 13MP 4G. The reason it is good is that is a 4:3 screen ratio that you would need for a perfectly ROUND window as shown in the device.

You can find them on eBay. Refurbished. I think it would already be a stretch to add the right knobs. And not likely to make the knobs functional.
You will find all other cell phone screens are not wide enough for the screen that is shown in the Farnsworth. Alternative, you could use a smaller cell phone and smaller screen on your Farnsworth.

As far as adjusting the audio with a physical control knob, this is what I came up with.

Stereo Jack AUX 3.5mm Audio Cord Cable Headphone Microphone Inline Volume Adjust

Also available off of eBay. The 3 band plug goes in the headset jack on the Optimus Vu, and the other end is standard aux that can be made to go to a speaker in your Farnsworth. Since the end is male, you might have to cut off the end and hard wire it to a speaker inside.

I wasn't sure I could make all this fit.

Good luck, and I'd love to see if you can pull this off. :)

Last edited:
gears.jpg

If you use that audio control, you would need something to convert rotating movement into horizontal movement of the volume control on the adapter. Something like this would do that.

Ok, so I was all over these forums from the beginning. Bought all the parts and constructed my own. Lost it in a move years back and I’m still sick over it! Been thinking of jumping back in and building a new one. Thing is, I bought the custom faceplate from a maker here (and I believe the clear domed screen too) and I can’t recall who it was I’m about to start digging through the forums here to see if I can find the info. But if anyone knows off the top of their head where I can find those pieces or who to contact to commission one could you please let me know? Thanks!

I am actually going to build a Claudia's Farnsworth (including internals)
I am currently sourcing the parts from the links and labels (that are broken in this thread) and across other posts and youtube builds.

there's another thread with part sourcing info here

I Will report back.. its a Xmas present.. so it will be soon lol

Thank you one and all for the information. I just bought a box on Ebay. Now
if someone with talent could do a run of faceplates for Claudia's Farnsworth
we would be ahead of the game.

Hey guys! Warehouse 13 is my absolute favorite tv show, and I've always wanted my own Farnsworth.
I've been exploring this thread, as well as a tutorial on the topic, and I've assembled an Amazon wishlist for most of the things needed.
Obviously, the only thing I can't put on it is the faceplate, but I'm currently thinking about my options for that.
The only thing that's not quite the same is the middle knob, which would have to be painted brown.

Hey guys! Warehouse 13 is my absolute favorite tv show, and I've always wanted my own Farnsworth.
I've been exploring this thread, as well as a tutorial on the topic, and I've assembled an Amazon wishlist for most of the things needed.
Obviously, the only thing I can't put on it is the faceplate, but I'm currently thinking about my options for that.
The only thing that's not quite the same is the middle knob, which would have to be painted brown.
You can get brown ones on Ebay:- #121466228028. If not, I think I still have some left over (somewhere in my empire of junk:D), so if you're struggling with obtaining parts, get back to me and I'll see what I can do. I also have a stock of the red domed lens - I had to buy a whole pack.

You can get brown ones on Ebay:- #121466228028. If not, I think I still have some left over (somewhere in my empire of junk:D), so if you're struggling with obtaining parts, get back to me and I'll see what I can do. I also have a stock of the red domed lens - I had to buy a whole pack.
That'd be awesome! I'm open to it, it would be nice to get just one of what I need instead of buying multiples.

That'd be awesome! I'm open to it, it would be nice to get just one of what I need instead of buying multiples.
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. Where in the world are you? I have most of the parts needed (somewhere in my pile of stuff), so if you let me know what you need, I can have a hunt around and see what I can rustle up for you.
Just so you can trust that I'm not some 'cardboard box' level maker, here's my own build:-

I am happy to report back, but super delayed.. I used the beautiful images made by

BeachcomberBob image (big props to your skills sir!!)​

and some different application methods to mock up this version. I did wet transfer printed black over mirror gold for the inlay effect.

used the

RICHARD WHEATLEY 4601 BOX​

this is the layout I was trying to mimic
00-shopping-ref-01.jpg

claudia-001.jpg

the bottom glass tube base is balsa wood (pic above)
claudia-002.jpg

front face removable mock, using small magnets to hols it on (pic above)
claudia-002b.jpg

curved scientific glass will be painted white (pic above)
claudia-002c.jpg

PVC notched and cut and stainless screen bent to a dome using pressure inside the mount with a screw driver (pic above)
claudia-002d.jpg

printed wet transfer dial (pic above)
claudia-003.jpg

mocked up placement (pic above)
claudia-004.jpg

the gold laminated ABS plastic I found (pic above)
claudia-005.jpg

Print test of the wet transfer on the gold ABS pre install (pic above)

claudia-006.jpg

test of the wet transfer on the gold ABS (pic above)
claudia-007.jpg

test of the wet transfer on the gold ABS (pic above)
claudia-008.jpg

detail of the bent copper wire based off of BeachcomberBob image linked above. drop of gold paint to simulate weld (pic above)

claudia-009.jpg

more detail photos... not the cleanest, but it works
claudia-009b.jpg

more detail
claudia-010.jpg
claudia-011.jpg
claudia-013.png

pretty happy with the results

please post questions and I can share info as requested

Last edited:
I made/fabbed stuff from balsa wood, but would 3d print the next ones if I build more.
I have enough parts to build 3 more like this one

the button also plays the ring sound, using a 5ish second loop recording

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back