Fantastic Four (Post-release)

It started promising, but fell flat at the end. The editing was all over the place. The thing is, there is a hidden greatness in the movie, where you can kind of tell something happened and the original vision was lost in all the re shoots and sloppy editing. I was very much anticipating the movie as I am a huge fan of Trank's Chronicle, but sadly this was a mundane effort. I feel like a sequel can straighten up a lot of it, however, I don't see this getting a sequel. So get ready for another re-boot, re-imagining, whatever you want to call it in 5 to 7 years.

In terms of rating, I don't really do the number thing, but how about this. It's good to run a dvd of it while you are working on your props to have some background noise.

Apparently Josh Trank tweeted this earlier tonight and then deleted it:

6jjNqmL.jpg

before Rottentomatoes:
"I knew it was going to get ugly, but I think maybe there's a part of me that needs adversity from the rest of the world in order to feel motivated to want to prove people wrong."
"You can't just keep telling a story the same way over and over again," he said. "And I think it only helps the world to be more honest with young kids, to show them the world that they go walk outside and see."
"People are religious about comics the way people are religious about the Bible," Trank said. "But I think it's true for a lot of movies that you can take license with adapting the underlying material and you will be forgiven for it if it's good—and you will not be if it's bad."
"I made every single choice knowing that people would question it," Trank acknowledged. "And what better reaction than to have people then go see the movie and understand it and feel like maybe they've learned something about the world, to not question the next thing they think is going to be stupid or weird. I think that's my purpose right now in my life."

After RottenTomatoes:
"A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would have recieved great reviews. You'll probably never see it. That's reality though."

It very much seemed like a movie made by someone who was given 5 minutes to look over the wikipedia for Fantastic Four, then shoved in a windowless room with a typewriter to churn out a script.

It's true there are hints in the beginning of a completely different film. but at the end of the day, non of the character seemed to get along, I felt no chemistry between any of them, specially johnny, who seemed to come off as an arrogant jerk with no real qualities to him at all till the very end. kinda hard to top chris evans honestly.

The worst travesty is doom, treated as another throw away villain in name and mask only, he should be an omnipresent threat like thanos is treated. instead we've had three attempts at doom and all have missed every possible character trait he's known for.

The movie is simply a disappointment on all levels, and honestly I'd rather watch the 2005 version than this again.

It's not a matter of selling them back.... theoretically. non of the stipulations of the Rights have ever surfaced, but tidbits here and there from sony and fox lead us to beleive the rights are indefinite as long as they continue have another movie in production every 2-3 years. or 3 to 4.... no one knows.

which simply means they can make them forever, as long as they keep making them within the specified time frame, or the rights revert automatically.

And given how hard this one has failed, you would have to be an idiot to think putting more money into a sequel would be the right idea.

which simply means they can make them forever, as long as they keep making them within the specified time frame, or the rights revert automatically.

The whole "we're losing 100 million per movie, but we're making it up in volume" doesn't really work that well. Hopefully sooner rather than later, Fox will realize that having the movie rights just isn't worth it, and turn it over to a company who knows how to do it right.

It's not a matter of selling them back.... theoretically. non of the stipulations of the Rights have ever surfaced, but tidbits here and there from sony and fox lead us to beleive the rights are indefinite as long as they continue have another movie in production every 2-3 years. or 3 to 4.... no one knows.

And given how hard this one has failed, you would have to be an idiot to think putting more money into a sequel would be the right idea.
i believe the timespan is every 10 years.

oof really? damn, that's quite along time, and with the petty squabble from an upper fox executive and feige, you can bet they'll hold onto the rights till the very last minute. just to spite marvel.

oof really? damn, that's quite along time, and with the petty squabble from an upper fox executive and feige, you can bet they'll hold onto the rights till the very last minute. just to spite marvel.

Thing is Marvel is kind of having the last laugh since this smiting is kind of hurting them. It's like setting fire to yourself to show how tough you are only to walk out with second degree burns. Is it worth it? This movie is going to be a taint for everyone involved.

A tidbit that not a lot of people seem to know is Fox doesn't own the Fantastic Four film rights.

They are owned by a German company called Constantin Films, and they've owned them since 1986. Fox has distribution rights, and has co-produced the films but that's all.

I don't know how much influence Fox has over Constantin Films, but if Fantastic Four keeps flopping, it may be in their best interest to sell the rights back to Marvel.. regardless of what Fox says... Assuming of course their isn't some legal crap beyond that we are unaware of.

Well since it appears this movie is sure to lose the money spent making it, it would definitely be in their best interest to sell it back and salvage what they can from their disaster. And Trank is probably going to have a hard time being trusted in the biz taking ownership of something and then throwing the studio under the bus after the fact to attempt to release blame in the matter.

I'm glad he's not attached to any Star Wars film now. I'm sure they pulled it form him and not the other way around (but he probably just says he left the project on his own decision).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back