Fantastic Four (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

3. Mystery

Mystery Well-Known Member

It started promising, but fell flat at the end. The editing was all over the place. The thing is, there is a hidden greatness in the movie, where you can kind of tell something happened and the original vision was lost in all the re shoots and sloppy editing. I was very much anticipating the movie as I am a huge fan of Trank's Chronicle, but sadly this was a mundane effort. I feel like a sequel can straighten up a lot of it, however, I don't see this getting a sequel. So get ready for another re-boot, re-imagining, whatever you want to call it in 5 to 7 years.

In terms of rating, I don't really do the number thing, but how about this. It's good to run a dvd of it while you are working on your props to have some background noise.

4. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Apparently Josh Trank tweeted this earlier tonight and then deleted it:

[​IMG]

5. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

[​IMG]

Oh man - it was nice knowin' ya, Josh...

George, Solo4114 and crabra comander like this.
  6. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

before Rottentomatoes:
    "I knew it was going to get ugly, but I think maybe there's a part of me that needs adversity from the rest of the world in order to feel motivated to want to prove people wrong."
    "You can't just keep telling a story the same way over and over again," he said. "And I think it only helps the world to be more honest with young kids, to show them the world that they go walk outside and see."
    "People are religious about comics the way people are religious about the Bible," Trank said. "But I think it's true for a lot of movies that you can take license with adapting the underlying material and you will be forgiven for it if it's good—and you will not be if it's bad."
    "I made every single choice knowing that people would question it," Trank acknowledged. "And what better reaction than to have people then go see the movie and understand it and feel like maybe they've learned something about the world, to not question the next thing they think is going to be stupid or weird. I think that's my purpose right now in my life."

After RottenTomatoes:
    "A year ago I had a fantastic version of this. And it would have recieved great reviews. You'll probably never see it. That's reality though."

7. Mr.Spider

Mr.Spider Well-Known Member

It very much seemed like a movie made by someone who was given 5 minutes to look over the wikipedia for Fantastic Four, then shoved in a windowless room with a typewriter to churn out a script.

It's true there are hints in the beginning of a completely different film. but at the end of the day, non of the character seemed to get along, I felt no chemistry between any of them, specially johnny, who seemed to come off as an arrogant jerk with no real qualities to him at all till the very end. kinda hard to top chris evans honestly.

The worst travesty is doom, treated as another throw away villain in name and mask only, he should be an omnipresent threat like thanos is treated. instead we've had three attempts at doom and all have missed every possible character trait he's known for.

The movie is simply a disappointment on all levels, and honestly I'd rather watch the 2005 version than this again.

8. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

I'll take "Movies that won't get a sequel" for $500, Alex!

Riceball likes this.
  9. Lord Boron

Lord Boron Sr Member

Perhaps a third reboot...or would it be the fourth? I can't keep track. If you keep throwing things against the wall, something's bound to stick, right....

10. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

I'm not seeing it on principle. Maybe Fox will get desperate and sell the film rights back to Marvel.

B-Movie Zombie likes this.
  11. Mr.Spider

It's not a matter of selling them back.... theoretically. non of the stipulations of the Rights have ever surfaced, but tidbits here and there from sony and fox lead us to beleive the rights are indefinite as long as they continue have another movie in production every 2-3 years. or 3 to 4.... no one knows.

which simply means they can make them forever, as long as they keep making them within the specified time frame, or the rights revert automatically.

And given how hard this one has failed, you would have to be an idiot to think putting more money into a sequel would be the right idea.

Riceball likes this.
  12. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

The whole "we're losing 100 million per movie, but we're making it up in volume" doesn't really work that well. Hopefully sooner rather than later, Fox will realize that having the movie rights just isn't worth it, and turn it over to a company who knows how to do it right.

13. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

i believe the timespan is every 10 years.

14. Mr.Spider

oof really? *, that's quite along time, and with the petty squabble from an upper fox executive and feige, you can bet they'll hold onto the rights till the very last minute. just to spite marvel.

15. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Thing is Marvel is kind of having the last laugh since this smiting is kind of hurting them. It's like setting fire to yourself to show how tough you are only to walk out with second degree burns. Is it worth it? This movie is going to be a taint for everyone involved.

Riceball likes this.
  16. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Hehe. You said taint.

And I think you're right.

17. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

I'm not even happy that people got paid to make this...

Glad noney talks

18. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

A tidbit that not a lot of people seem to know is Fox doesn't own the Fantastic Four film rights.

They are owned by a German company called Constantin Films, and they've owned them since 1986. Fox has distribution rights, and has co-produced the films but that's all.

I don't know how much influence Fox has over Constantin Films, but if Fantastic Four keeps flopping, it may be in their best interest to sell the rights back to Marvel.. regardless of what Fox says... Assuming of course their isn't some legal crap beyond that we are unaware of.

Riceball and jaganar like this.
  19. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well since it appears this movie is sure to lose the money spent making it, it would definitely be in their best interest to sell it back and salvage what they can from their disaster. And Trank is probably going to have a hard time being trusted in the biz taking ownership of something and then throwing the studio under the bus after the fact to attempt to release blame in the matter.

I'm glad he's not attached to any Star Wars film now. I'm sure they pulled it form him and not the other way around (but he probably just says he left the project on his own decision).

20. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

This Constantin Films, do they own the X-Men rights as well?

21. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Nope. Constantin Films owns just the Fantastic Four rights. The X-Men film rights are (sadly) owned by 20th Century Fox.

22. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

[​IMG]

So that slogan "FROM THE STUDIO THAT BROUGHT YOU X:MEN DAYS OF FUTURE'S PAST" has even less significance now. Outside of a potential Marvel deal, what does this film have that's actually good?

Riceball likes this.
  23. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Constantin films a company owned by: UWE BOLL!!!:eek

It all makes sense now...j/k

jaganar likes this.
  24. jaganar

jaganar Active Member

thats just mean XD

25. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That statement holds about as much significance as "FROM THE MANUFACTURER THAT BROUGHT YOU THE MUSTANG: INTRODUCING THE FORD PINTO."

26. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I've read online that Fox is still talking about doing FF2.
    If that's the case it's just got to be a negotiation tactic for selling rights back to Marvel. The biggest problem with a sequel is that I don't see how the cast would want to reprise their roles. when this iteration of the franchise was near career suicide for everyone involved.

Unless Fox is prepared to pay the actors an obscene amount to get the cast (not gonna happen) we're looking at a major recasting of every principle character. Are they going to look for another black actor for Johnny? They might as well reboot. In all cases Fox would be starting off with tremendous baggage with the FF. Would they dare to risk poisoning the X-Men by doing a crossover right off the bat?

Then again, stupidity was never been a deterrent in the past so we'll see.

Riceball likes this.
  27. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I'm pretty certain the cast is contractually obligated to come back for a sequel unless Fox allows them to bow out...

28. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Good point.
    If I were one of the principal characters I'd chew off my right paw to escape from doing a sequel.

firesprite likes this.
  29. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I think the fact that they cast nobodies in the movie to start with was a tactic showing how little faith they had in, they knew it wasn't going to make money so they spent as little as possible which is what they'd do with a sequel. I'm pretty sure the founders of every studio in Hollywood are spinning in their graves.

30. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You hit the nail on the head. This is all I was going to write, (except I thought Dr. Doom was OK in the 2005 version).

I was itching to get out of the theater during the last 45 minutes or so.

I just back from the theater actually, and am going to watch the 2005 version right now to take the bad taste away.

At least THOSE got along and definitely had chemistry, even when they were being 'mean' to each other.

31. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Active Member

Johnny and Ben were pretty perfect in the previous movies, and Doom started off bad but improved and probably would have been great had they gone for a third movie at the time.

This new one just sounds like a mess. I still want to see it though.

32. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Despite the bomb that was Fant4stic I think Fox will never give FF back to Marvel/Disney if only to block M/D from getting another blockbuster.
    I think the studio was half-hearted about the production (and support) because they figured that, even a lousy movie, could at least break even.
    I don't think they imagined it would tank this bad.
    Still, I have no doubt they're going to keep FF in their pocket ... and take it out periodically to beat on like a redheaded stepchild.

33. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

I think you mean they didn't imagine it would... Trank this bad... :cool

Also, as a red-headed step-child, I object to your last comment. I've never been beaten. :p

--Jonah

Rupert_Angier likes this.
  34. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay, Trank is a bit of a jerkass, but *, I didn't realize it was THIS bad...

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/fantastic-four-got-so-bad-miles-teller-and-josh-126670602777.html

Forget not being at the helm of a sequel... If any of this is true, I'd be surprised if he found work again at all...

35. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Being a jerkwad alone doesn't end your career in Hollywood. Being a jerkwad who doesn't make money will, though. But then, just not making money alone can do that, too.

I haven't followed the allegations about production disasters and scandals particularly closely, but I can't help but wonder whether Trank's behavior is, at least partially, down to realizing fairly early on that he'd been thrown to the wolves by a callous studio, and basically set up to fail. Now, it's fair to say that one's behavior after realizing this is the real tell of what kind of person you are, and Trank ends up looking wanting, but I think there's plenty of blame to go around in this tale.

Riceball likes this.
  36. Father

Father Sr Member

If Fox only has the distribution rights, then there's still hope Disney could buy the rights from Constantin for a heft price and just not make a movie until the clock runs out with Fox... or take the high road and do like they're doing with the next Spider-Man and share it. I can't even count how many movies I watch now that start out with 2 minutes of different company logos before it even gets to the actual movie. So Fox / Disney wouldn't exactly be out of the norm, would it?

I'm pretty sure he's not the first guy to throw a studio under the bus and/or distance himself from the final version of a movie.
    Of those that have done it in the past, I'm not sure how many had much street cred to back them up for future endeavors though.

Didn't Ridley Scott say he hated the theatrical release of Alien or Blade Runner?
    James Cameron didn't like the theatrical cut of The Abyss did he?
    That's the whole reason we have "The Director's Cut" version of so many movies.
    I'm not sure if with this movie it was the editing/cut of the movie or if the execs actually kept him from actually making the movie how he wanted to and the cut we have couldn't be rearranged any other way than what was delivered.

I still want to see this one. I've been listening to the score and it's not horrible so I have some hope it'll at least be one of those movies that was horrible but repeat watchable... like Deep Blue Sea or Never Back Down or the Star wars prequels.

I was never a big F4 comic reader so I don't know if Johnny is supposed to be arrogant and full of himself or if that was how Chris Evans played him. It makes sense for him to be that way. He's a pilot and he ends up getting a cool power.
    I'm not a fan of the kid that played him in the latest version. I think he comes off that way in everything he's in. Definitely put off that vibe in Friday Night Lights.

37. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Johnny is absolutely cocky and full of himself in the comics. The portrayal from Chris Evans was pretty much spot-on to his behavior in the comics. Unfortunately, that's why I kind of look down on their casting Johnny as a black kid. I think if they wanted to actually make some sort of statement with the casting, they should have had Michael B Jordan play Reed. Not only would it have been an "against type" role for Jordan, it would have been an "against type" casting for POC in comics movies.

38. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

NOT the Alien Theatrical Cut. He has gone on record in both interviews and the DVD/BluRay linear notes as saying the Theatrical Cut of ALIEN is his prefered cut and giving the new cut the title of "Director's Cut" was more about marketing. His imdb.com page does list him as being the father of Director's Cuts.

James Cameron's initial cut (The Special Edition) was requested by the studio to be trimmed down. When he delivered the studio the a shorter cut of the film, the studio demanded even more cuts! Thankfully Cameron held his ground and managed to cut a deal with Fox that this version will not go through anymore cuts. While he does say in his DVD/BluRay introduction that he prefers the Special Edition (Really? Of all the titles these editions get, the one true Director's Cut is titled "Special Edition"?), he doesn't speak negatively of the theatrical version. It's definitely a director's approved cut, just not his 'preferred' cut. As for the Abyss? I need a refresh in history. Get that film out of the vaults FOX!

In regards to the Fantastic Four? Ugh... I highly doubt Fox will bring Trank back to do a Special Edition. I think everyone, including Trank himself are ready to just write this film off as a loss and move on. The Crossover between this and the X-Men? The sequel that was announced before the film was released? All gone. As for making a deal with Marvel? That's even more uncertain. This film has already showed us that Fox is willing to burn their own hand in order to keep their part of the fire to themselves. To them, losing money and receiving all this bad press is worth it if it denies Marvel the chance to make the Fantastic Four into a money maker. Marvel has denied Fox the rights to use characters in their movies, Fox has the rights to deny Marvel their 'first family'.

39. Father

Father Sr Member

I'm sure in this progressive age we live in even questioning "Why does he need to be played by a black guy?" is considered racist, but... why? Why do any of them need to be a black guy. for the sake of breaking barriers? If you want to break barriers, go work for Marvel or DC, create an iconic character that is black, and THEN make a movie based off the character. You're not progressing anything by just changing the color of a character that's been white since they were first drawn. It's just an easy way to come off as progressive and it really just comes off as cheap and taking the easy way out in my opinion. It's mindless PC-ism with no real purpose aside from maybe trying to appeal more to another race demographic. Whether there are any kind of statistics generated from ticket sales that show that more black people saw the movie because they have a black person in a key role I'd say is pretty difficult to come up with... especially when the movie failed EVERYWHERE.

Why not make Ben the black buy? Because it would make people mad that the Thing is made of brown rocks instead of orange or that the black guy lost his identity by losing his color ot orange?

Roboted likes this.
  40. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

When I first heard they cast Michael B Jordan as Johnny and Kate Mara as Sue, my initial reaction was "Why have Sue Storm be white?". I mean, if you're going to have the biological Storms be black, go all out! It would certainly make up for that almost offensive portrayal of Sue Storm from Tim Story's Fantastic Four where they gave Jessica Alba a blonde wig and blue contacts. For your point, I would totally have been down for Michael B Jordan as Reed.

41. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Haven't you seen the TNG episode Darmok? That had an entire cast of African American actors playing aliens who were orange. No one called that episode racist.

42. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

They did something similar during this last season of Defiance where the entire Omec race was played by only black actors.

43. Father

Father Sr Member

That was TNG... they were just happy to be on Star Trek... red shirt, orange skin... they're all one-offs anyway.

That's a Sci-Fi original series full of people who are probably just happy to have an acting gig. ;)

Riceball likes this.
  44. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Kiteo, his eyes closed.

45. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I liked the two F4 movies that were made a while ago just fine.

harrisonp likes this.
  46. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!

47. Father

Father Sr Member

I watched it last night. I have to say, I didn't hate it. It without a doubt could have been better but it didn't live up to the negative hype.

Pros:
    - Different take on how they got their powers wasn't horrible.
    - Liked the CG Thing much better than the Vic Mackey practical version
    - didn't mind the gifted kids thing
    - using them for military ops and Reed being on the run was actually kind of neat

Cons
    - Emo Doom and his whole "look"
    - The military/government always having an evil agenda of "let's make of super soldiers"
    - The actors performances all seemed pretty lifeless for the most part
    - The whole end portal thing

48. justanuthercap

justanuthercap Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bringing this one back from the dead as it came out in Redbox, and so my son decided to spend a buck on it last night because it just couldn't be "that" bad.

Well folks.... it was. Well, let's not say bad but just.... nothing. There was at no point ANY kind of reaction to any part of the movie between the three of us. Absolutlely nothing elicited a response. When it was over we all just looked at one another with blank expressions as asked "did we actually just watch a movie"? I'm not even sure how to explain it.

I'm not going to spoiler anything just in case, but I will say that it might well have been the biggest anticlimactic final battle ever filmed, and it lasted all of 3 minutes or so.

So, to sum it up, boring plot (we won't even get started on the plot craters), no chemistry, no real backstory or character development other than some for Reed, no real reason for Ben to even be in the movie (95% of Ben fighting was seen via a computer or TV monitor), no understandable motivation for emo Vic, and no real reason to even like or care about ANY of the characters (and all this is AFTER they tried to fix it). I guess my feeling is that it started as an interesting idea and that's where it stopped.

And yes, I'm actually angry that we wasted one dollar between the three of us to see this! Okay, done ranting, but if I've saved even one soul from wasting their time on this then my sons dollar will have been well spent!

49. glunark

glunark Sr Member

I was going to wait till it got to five quid for the bluray, but now I think I will just wait for it to come on tv.

50. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I rented it the other night.
    It wasn't the disaster I was expecting.
    I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.

Father likes this.