Fantastic Beasts - Newt Scamander's Briefcase

The14thDr

Sr Member
Today I watched Fantastic Beasts (and I have to say it is a brilliant movie). One prop I am particularly interested in is Newt Scamander's briefcase. I'm thinking of building this from scratch (purely because all similar-looking briefcases are upwards of £100), but one thing that I'm stuck with are the measurements. I have found what seem to be "standard" briefcase sizes online, but there are still some slight variations, and all seem too small for the briefcase from the movie.

newt.jpg
eddie-redmayne-as-newt-scamander.jpg

I can give you some advice on how I made mine if needed. Look forward to seeing progress photos and your Muggle Worthy mechanism. I'd have to say the lining is the biggest challenge.

I made mine 20" x 12" x 6", but as mentioned Pierre Bohanna suggested it needed to be about an inch taller i.e. 7". There are a lot of the suitcase props at various exhibitions. I'm hoping a fellow RPF member will come across an actual prop and be able to take some measurements. Perhaps there will be one at the HP Celebration in Orlando in January.

ATL

Last edited:
Thanks for the link ATL Kenobi. I've had a look through your thread and it's a really interesting read. Thanks also for posting the measurements of your case. I shall hopefully begin making progress soon.

Kind regards, The14thDr

Last edited by a moderator:
I can give you some advice on how I made mine if needed. Look forward to seeing progress photos and you Muggle Worthy mechanism. I'd have to say the lining is the biggest challenge.

I made mine 20" x 12" x 6", but as mentioned Pierre Bohanna suggested it needed to be about an inch taller i.e. 7". There are a lot of the suitcase props at various exhibitions. I'm hoping a fellow RPF member will come across an actual prop and be able to take some measurements. Perhaps there will be one at the HP Celebration in Orlando in January.

ATL

Thank you for posting the dimensions! I'd love to make one of these myself. Do you mind mentioning how much the leather was, how much you needed and where you got it? You did an amazing job! I'm extremely impressed!

The14thDr - Look froward to seeing updates- and, as mentioned, I will share the lining pattern when you've made some progress. If you want it.

Egon Spengler
Oddly enough - I was able to find my receipt. I bought a Craftsman Oak Double Shoulder not that that means anything to me either :) from Tandy leather. They have a store near where I live. Weaver would be a good source as well. Five or six ounce directly correlates to 5/64 or 6/64 (3/32) of an inch. It doesn't have to be the finest Corinthian leather, since it kind of needs to be distressed a bit anyway. You do want to use veg-tan though. The rough lid was approximately 24" x 16", the 2 sides were 4-7/8" x 11-5/8" and the rough case was 22" x 22" but I would highly suggest doing some drawings before starting. I'm fairly proficient in AutoCad and redrew it several time as I got more information.

The leather was not on sale when I bought it for $65.

For the edging I used Sheepskin because of its thinnest. I still had to skive the edges where I had to overlap it.

I see I spent another $80 dollars that day on dye, waxed thread, rivets, punches and other tools.

ATL

And so it begins!! (sort of)
This afternoon I started modelling the locks for my briefcase (these will be 3D printed, which will be a lot cheaper and easier than trying to track down a screen-accurate lock)

I began by creating the backing plate for the lock. There is still some work that needs to be done to make this more accurate, but I can fix this later.
lock2.jpg

Next I created the model for the lock itself. At the moment it is just a basic shape, but I'm hoping to add the mechanism for the "Muggle Worthy" function soon.
lock1.jpg

Kind regards, The14thDr

------ Updated ------

Credit to ATL Kenobi for posting the blueprints I have been using to model the locks:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=264912&page=3&highlight=fantastic+beasts

This afternoon I started modelling the locks for my briefcase (these will be 3D printed, which will be a lot cheaper and easier than trying to track down a screen-accurate lock)

I began by creating the backing plate for the lock. There is still some work that needs to be done to make this more accurate, but I can fix this later.
View attachment 685842

Next I created the model for the lock itself. At the moment it is just a basic shape, but I'm hoping to add the mechanism for the "Muggle Worthy" function soon.
View attachment 685843

Kind regards, The14thDr

------ Updated ------

Credit to @ATL Kenobi for posting the blueprints I have been using to model the locks:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=264912&page=3&highlight=fantastic+beasts

I've considered 3D printing this as well. How do you plan on finishing it so that it looks good?

View attachment 685842

Keep in mind that I used locks that are commercially available - L-2205-BP from Ohio Travel Bag and these plates are smaller than what I scaled from the pictures. The actual prop backing plate dimensions are probably closer to:
attachment.php

ATL

Attachments

• Latch dims.JPG
    Latch dims.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,264
I've considered 3D printing this as well. How do you plan on finishing it so that it looks good?
Honestly, I'm not even sure yet (I'm kinda just making it all up as a go along) :D

Keep in mind that I used locks that are commercially available - L-2205-BP from Ohio Travel Bag and these plates are smaller than what I scaled from the pictures. The actual prop backing plate dimensions are probably closer to:
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=685968&d=1480122326

ATL
Looks like I have a few adjustments to make to the 3D model. Thanks for sharing this. :thumbsup

Kind regards, The14thDr

I think I have just seen a close match case today, however I just brought this so I'm strapped for cash (btw I live in the UK and it has come from a preserved steam railway)

I think the greatest issue will be the mechanics of the "Muggle Safe" leaver and tag.

Jameswardrobe2.jpg

I will be embarking on trying to replicate a screen accurate briefcase! Only thing that has me stumped is the muggle worthy mechanism. Has anybody made any progress with these?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back