Fangs. Input wanted.

rollerboi

Sr Member
Anyone make fangs here, or have any experience having done so?

I had a pair once, made of really stong dental material, that allowed me to very dramatically bite into a pop can and rotate it, ripping the can into three parts. Good times. :)

So, having just watched True Blood season 1, it got me to thinking about fangs again. I noticed that they designed the fangs to go on the lateral incisors next to the canines (#7&10). This is different than the traditional canine fangs that I'm used to.

Now, I'm wondering if there are other differences between the various vampire-based shows, from Twilight to Buffy. Anyone notice anything that stands out, or have screen caps?

I'm pondering the possibility of picking up a fang making kit and hanging up a shingle. I'd love to talk further with others who have done this before. Links to especially good websites detailing the structure of fangs would be especially appreciated. Thanks!

trueblood1-300x206.jpg
tb14.jpg

Lost boys! yeah! Huh. I guess I just never noticed 'em not being on the canines before. Hopefully it's not just me. :lol

If I recall right, Barlow on Salem's Lot had his on the laterals as well.

I think Barlow's is unique, as far as the fangs go. His whole mouth is fanged - a style inspired, in part, by Nosferatu if I'm not mistaken.
sl9.JPG

Susan, if I've found a correct screen capture, has the more traditional canine fangs.

sl13.JPG

Here's the abridged version-

Take dental cast
Mold dental cast in silicone
Make positive dental cast in silicone ( this will be used later)
Take original dental cast in ultracal, sculpt fangs on it
Mold that in silicone as well.
Once you have a silicone mold of dental cast with fangs in place, fill it w/ liquid dental acrylic/ monomer
Place silicone cast WITHOUT fangs into mold WITH FANGS while dental acrylic is still liquid, let cure.
You should now have professional grade dental appliances that will fit your existing teeth like a glove, and will stay firmly in place with no more than a thin layer of your own saliva, to stay put through capillary action.
Trim with a dremel for the best appearance.

Let us know how it works!

-Sarge

Thanks, Sarge! Yup, I plan to get a little creative with this one. :)

The casting and molding procedures, I have no problem with. What I would be interested in finding would be some in-depth detail on fang formation/sculpting; what structures are strongest and most natural looking. By this, I'm talking about how much acrylic to leave on the front/backend of the tooth, as well as the degree of the curve and point, if that makes sense.

I thought I'd seen a website somewhere before talking about this, but my google-fu appears to be weak. Barring that, I'm going to have to do a study of animal fangs to see how Mother Nature designed 'em. :)

Edit: Oh, and does anyone know if there's a difference in strength between dental acrylic and cosmetic/nail acrylic? I have lots of friends with cosmetician licenses, but none with a dental license that I know of for the purchasing of methyl methacrylate monomer.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sarge! Yup, I plan to get a little creative with this one. :)

The casting and molding procedures, I have no problem with. What I would be interested in finding would be some in-depth detail on fang formation/sculpting; what structures are strongest and most natural looking. By this, I'm talking about how much acrylic to leave on the front/backend of the tooth, as well as the degree of the curve and point, if that makes sense.

I thought I'd seen a website somewhere before talking about this, but my google-fu appears to be weak. Barring that, I'm going to have to do a study of animal fangs to see how Mother Nature designed 'em. :)

Well, you want them thin and natural looking in the front, and thicker on the back for strength, BUT this will interfere with talking if they're too thick. You might want to invest in a pressure pot to cure them in. This is like a mini-pressure cooker that will compress the acrylic while in it's liquid state, and give you back that ability to bite through aluminum cans.

*******, I remember a cute little, black haired goth girl I used to know, who liked being nibbled on to the point of slight blood loss with these things... GAWD I miss her! (and the way she clawed my back up!) :(

-Sarge

Last edited:
I purchased mine online from Motion Picture FX in Burbank. http://www.monsterclub.com/index.ph...pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=0&q=jet+tooth&x=0&y=0

You have to purchase 2 parts seperately: the tooth powder (which comes in different shades) and the monomer. I got #62, which is a little on the yellow side, but seems to be pretty flexible in a number of mouths. I don't think they offer this in kit form, but their site isn't very informative, and I never bothered doing the easy thing and calling.

I did mine the quick and dirty, convention method way of sculpting directly in the mouth. Not something I'd recommend unless you know what you're doing. You can get it stuck.

As far as fang styles go, there are tons of em out there. the Buffyverse has an interesting fang setup. I've always been partial to the double fangs on both the canines and laterals.

A lot of make up artists consider Michael S. Pack's Bite Me video to be one of the definitive videos on dental appliances. Unfortunately it seems to be out of print.

He also appeared on Movie FX master class Vol. 1 and shows how to make a standard set of bridged fangs.

I have some experience making dental appliances as well. PM me with any questions.

I'm thinking of going as a vampire this Halloween and am also looking for some very high quality fangs. I would rather not make them myself though.. So I'm going to explore a few of these links. If anyone has a recommendation for where I could order high quality fangs I'd appreciate the input. :love

I was in Dracula (the play) in high school, and the local dentist made me a pair of fangs that slipped on my eye-teeth, matching the curve of the gum, the color of my teeth, everything. I wore those things for years before they got too manky and had to be tossed. They freaked the crap out of people!

http://www.vampfangs.com/Scarecrow-Natural-Fangs-p/sk100.htm

Had a pair a while back. Now they have updated how to make them and they actually look much easier. There are also clips on utube of people making them.

I used to make form fitting fangs using a Denture Repair Kit, available from most larger pharmacies, like CVS or Wallgreens. They were cheap to make, very strong and lasted forever. The only drawback was that they were pink. I'd paint them with Krylon Tooth enamel... a specially designed paint that can be used directly on your teeth, available from better stocked Make-Up/Halloween stores, or through mail order. I always got mine from Alcone company in New York.

The mixture is a pink powder that you mix a catalyst into, which after a few moments becomes a thick paste, then a moldable "putty-like" texture. It can be molded into shape easily, and then sanded into final shape, if desired. You can shape it onto a mold of your (or whomever's) teeth.

While I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT, I admit that I always just molded it directly on my teeth, molding a blob onto a tooth till it got reasonably hard, then removed it carefully and soaked it in hot water till it cured. I would then mold the tooth onto that blob. No, the material does not stick to the enamel of your teeth when soft. These fit so well they would usually stay on without any kind of denture adhesive.

the vampfangs.com fangs look great, my friend has a pair and they look very realistic

Thanks for the link, I think with true blood being as popular as it is, we are going to see a TON of vampires this halloween.

I had a set of fangs a while back that came out pretty good, they were just the 20.00 set that came with the thermo plastic pellets, but the fang color was a really good match for my natural teeth color so they worked for me. I dont know if im capable enough to cast my own, im def not patient enough, im sure I would muck it up.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back