CaptainNater

Hello everyone! So, I have been working on making a Chewbacca mask for the past few months. My first attempt was not bad but it didn't look enough like Chewie. So, I re-worked my 3d model and started from scratch on my Version 2. Started with a 3d model, printed out the model, sculpted monster clay on top of the 3d print, made a junk mold for the underskull, made a mother mold for the silicone face skin, made a mold for the resin teeth, made a mold for the tongue/pallet, cut the underskull for mouth articulation, attached hinges, glued the teeth/tongue/pallet, glued the silicone face onto the underkull, glued hair 3/4 of the way onto the face/head, and finally hand punched the rest of the hair/mustache. Sorry, I know that was a lot to take in. haha.

Anyways, I hope y'all like it! I'm really proud of my creation but I know that there is always room for improvement. It can only get better.
I did build videos on my youtube channel. Here is the link to my channel if you're interested in checking that out. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJBJLpR0HhfEXefZYfSxjfQ

Here are some pics of what I ended up with. I will post a few of the process pics too if y'all would like to see them.
Screenshot-20210905-181933-Instagram.jpg
Screenshot-20210905-182019-Instagram.jpg
Screenshot-20210905-181903-Instagram.jpg
Screenshot-20210905-181833-Instagram.jpg
Screenshot-20210905-182305-Instagram.jpg
Screenshot-20210902-133143-Instagram.jpg
Screenshot-20210902-210457-Instagram.jpg
IMG-20210828-001954.jpg

Talk about a work of art! You've done so many things right, that so many people get wrong. The shaping of the face is beautiful. The way that you punched the hair, and the way that the hair lies perfectly, gives it such a great movie quality look. Even the way you blended the different colors of hair, it's just so amazing.

Talk about a work of art! You've done so many things right, that so many people get wrong. The shaping of the face is beautiful. The way that you punched the hair, and the way that the hair lies perfectly, gives it such a great movie quality look. Even the way you blended the different colors of hair, it's just so amazing.
Wow, thanks so much for the nice compliments.

The mask you made with the ability to move without hair looks like it came out of a nightmare!

Great work though, really incredible!

Now, why is it that this one and a few others I've seen on here can nail the classic Chewie look, but the movie sequels and prequels miss the mark?? The sequels aren't bad, but man, the PT Chewie looks WAY off.

Now, why is it that this one and a few others I've seen on here can nail the classic Chewie look, but the movie sequels and prequels miss the mark?? The sequels aren't bad, but man, the PT Chewie looks WAY off.
, That one was bad wasn't it. I like the look of Chewie in Solo but he looks quite a bit different in that movie too. It was quite hard sculpting his face because all those other images kept popping up when I'd search for reference images.

I forgot about Solo Chewie. That one was pretty good as I recall (and a quick Google confirms). The PT one looked too generic; it was a Wookiee -- but not really our Chewie.

I forgot about Solo Chewie. That one was pretty good as I recall (and a quick Google confirms). The PT one looked too generic; it was a Wookiee -- but not really our Chewie.
Totally agree. Only difference in Solo was his face and muzzle looked a little more slim. Plus his hair color was a bit lighter. I thought he looked pretty cool in Solo though. I might modify my sculpt sometime in the future and do a Solo Chewie.

This might be one of the best replica, if not the best, Chewie masks I've seen. You've completed it almost dead on to the original method, even with the manual expressions. On top of it working like the real thing, how you've laid the hair and how it looks fully styled looks like it should! That's something in the new movies, with all their money and advancements, don't nail. Chewie in the OT is very slender, even with all the fur laid on. Modern iterations I see as too fluffy; they don't capture the silhouette.

If this had been laid in camel fur like the originals, too, that would've been icing on the cake but it's a very minor nit-pick compared to the rest you got right.

This might be one of the best replica, if not the best, Chewie masks I've seen. You've completed it almost dead on to the original method, even with the manual expressions. On top of it working like the real thing, how you've laid the hair and how it looks fully styled looks like it should! That's something in the new movies, with all their money and advancements, don't nail. Chewie in the OT is very slender, even with all the fur laid on. Modern iterations I see as too fluffy; they don't capture the silhouette.

If this had been laid in camel fur like the originals, too, that would've been icing on the cake but it's a very minor nit-pick compared to the rest you got right.
Thank you so much for those kind words. I honestly didn't know what I was getting myself into after the first one. I'm super happy with how this turned out though and I learned a ton of new skills. Thanks again my friend! Also, I wish I had some of their money and advancements because making this mask was not cheap. Haha

Wow, what a talent and dedication to getting it to look so right! Bravo!

What is it like getting the mouth to move?
Thank you! It's actually really easy to move. I have padding in the top of the head, strap on the back and padding under my chin. I just have to open my mouth and Chewie's mouth opens. I do plan on adding a lip snarl when the mouth is open but have not done that yet.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back