Fallout: New Vegas Modded AER-9 Laser Rifle Build -- FINISHED

theP13RC3

Hey all!

The build thread is finally up! If you haven't seen my previous thread on this project, I'll bring you up to speed. I'm making a modded laser rifle from New Vegas.

My hopes:
-To use at a convention in July
-Fully modded (Might not have scope by the time the deadline comes though)
-Lights and sound
-Needs a sling to follow con rules

For the past couple weeks, I've just been modeling it in Solidworks, figuring out the scale, and finding the components I'll need. And now, I have it basically figured out. So, I started by cutting out all of the wood parts I'll need:

sdceh.jpg
[/IMG]

errCU.jpg
[/IMG]

Because it decided to rain right when I finished the last small piece, the barrels aren't cut yet. That should be a little thing to finish up tomorrow!

After that, sanding and ordering electronics.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Re: Fallout: New Vegas Modded AER-9 Laser Rifle Build

I think the photos are gigantic. And the work looks very clean, nicely done.

Gigantic is a slight understatement :eek

It does look good though. Looking forward to seeing it complete, I love Fallout builds

Yeah, my camera is 10.2 megapixels, so I'll have to shrink the pictures down a bit from now on!

No progress today on account of the weather. Hopefully tomorrow can be nice and sunny so I can get the barrels cut out and the holes in the stock done.

any chance of schematics/templates for the rest of us?
Awesome build btw: I'm a Fallout fan myself, so all fallout props are great in my opinion...

Last edited:

The schematics are readily available on this board. Just use the Search function. ;)

This is one of my favorite weapons from Fallout 3, both in design and function. I'm looking forward to seeing this in physical form, keep it up!

The schematics are readily available on this board. Just use the Search function. ;)

The online plans are a nice reference, but I think Darth might appreciate having actual templates for each part he needs... Which the schematics don't cover. Also, they're missing some important views. They're a great start, but I needed heavy reference from the in-game 3D model in order to actually figure out what to do. You know as well as I do how much complex detail is in that rifle, and I can only imagine how much of a pain it'd be without insane amounts of reference.

any chance of schematics/templates for the rest of us?
Awesome build btw: I'm a Fallout fan myself, so all fallout props are great in my opinion...

Thanks for the support! I do have complete templates for all of the necessary wood pieces, and the major styrene ones. Also, if you let me know your height, I can scale the plans to be the right size for you proportionally. My only request is that you don't finish yours before me, cause I don't want any spoilers for my build! ;) PM me and we can figure stuff out.

This is one of my favorite weapons from Fallout 3, both in design and function. I'm looking forward to seeing this in physical form, keep it up!

Thanks! This was by far my favorite too. The red paint job is just so cool. Let's hope I can do it justice!

I dunno, man. Three people, including myself, made functional rifles from those plans without any further effort. Sure, it's a lot of work, and there's some guesswork involved - but more schematics aren't strictly necessary.

I dunno, man. Three people, including myself, made functional rifles from those plans without any further effort. Sure, it's a lot of work, and there's some guesswork involved - but more schematics aren't strictly necessary.

I'm not saying they are necessary either. I'm just saying guesswork can get difficult, and seeing the full 3D model as well as having full templates can be very helpful. I just like not worrying about whether I make a right or wrong decision on the design. I like having everything right, you know that :)

Yeah, that's true. I do have a minor inaccuracy on my build because I didn't have a bottom view but I'm not telling you what it is. :)

Yeah, that's true. I do have a minor inaccuracy on my build because I didn't have a bottom view but I'm not telling you what it is. :)

If you're talking about the two invisible pieces with zero-thickness geometry, I totally understand why you left them out. :lol

No progress today. I have a tooth pulled today. His name was Super-Numerary Tooth (#18s). But he's gone now, so hopefully the progress can continue!

Also, I'm hoping to finally whip out the circular saw tomorrow to get the barrel done.

Hopefully I'll be pain-free so it can happen!

Last edited:

If you're talking about the two invisible pieces with zero-thickness geometry, I totally understand why you left them out. :lol

No progress today. I have a tooth pulled today. His name was Super-Numerary Tooth (#18s). But he's gone now, so hopefully the progress can continue!

Clever... lol. I was a supernumerary... twice.

No, it's on the bottom of the gun proper. I'll show you when I see you.

Okay, it's been a long time since the last update, and a lot's happened.

CONvergence 2012 is over, and the rifle turned out great, especially for the timeframe I had with my job factored in.

Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of WIP pictures... But here are some of the ones I know of.

First, a picture of the completed wiring:
KWV81.jpg

The side vents are lit up by 20 red LEDs that are controlled by the knob on the top of the barrel, and the knob on the back is used to power up the arduino you see up front. Here's a picture of the side vents:
o3CN9.jpg

Using Adafruit's WAVE shield for the arduino, I made it so each time the trigger's pulled it plays the rifle's firing sounds. I also got the sounds directly from the game by opening up the sound archives in its directory.

Also, the battery life is around 10 hours with LEDs and arduino running. Without LEDs, we may never know. I gave up last time at 2 days solid!

Next, I have a couple of pictures of the nearly completed assembly:
lR0QG.jpg

ZuGPW.jpg

The microfusion cell is just a couple of PVC pipe fittings, and the hide the charging terminals that sit behind it. That one made me feel kinda clever :)

I have to keep looking to see if I have any other WIP pictures. If I find any, I'll post them right away!

Now, a picture of the rifle at the convention:
yoOhZ.jpg

And one of just the rifle, with me cropped out:
yV8ml.jpg

There should be a bunch more pictures from the convention popping up in the coming weeks, and I'll make sure to post them as I find them!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! And also...

The laser rifle is officially up for sale. PM me if you're interested, and if you are I'll post a thread in the junkyard! I'll talk about pricing there, and we can work something out if anyone would like the first replica Modded AER-9 (and the first, to my knowledge, to have sound effects included).

I hope you like it!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back