Fallout: New Vegas Brush Gun - Finished (pg 2)

CynderBloc

Hey all,

I'm currently in the middle of an NCR Vet Ranger build (which is taking me a long time.....). To get a break from it, I decided that instead of just buying a replica Peacemaker or Colt Navy revolver which was my original plan, I'd see how quickly I could knock together a Brush Gun. I have a few days off, so lets go!

Most of you will know what the Brush Gun is, but for those who don't:

BrushGun.jpg

Yes, it's a lever action rifle, mainly carried by the NCR Veteran Rangers. Perfect weapon for my costume.

As far as I am aware, it is based on a Winchester 1886, but I'm not 100% so don't quote me on that.

Anyway, after some thought I decided I didn't like the short ammo tube or the look of the receiver, so I had a look around the web and found this texture mod:

42356-1-1307993797.jpg

This was far better looking in my opinion, so I went with this one.

I started building it last night, but it didn't even occur to me to take photos at first so I'll have to describe the first couple of hours.

First things first, using the in-game render (top photo), I drew up some plans and cut the shape of the stock plus half of the receiver out of 6mm MDF. (I left the section of receiver a bit longer to let me clamp it while I'm working on it)

My plan is to have an MDF central spine, with pink foam building up the shape of the stock.

The reasoning behind this was I had attempted a Fallout Sniper rifle a few months back making the whole stock from solid MDF, and although I got the general shape right, it just got far too tedious trying to sand it into shape (plus the fact it weighed a ton)

I glued the pink foam on using some PVA glue and left it overnight. Once it was dry I sanded the general shape of the stock by hand. The tight areas took a while as my Dremel has decided to do a disappearing act on me....

The 'cutout' part at the back of the receiver is for the hammer, I'm just going to make it out of some acrylic and glue it in last thing

IMG_20120306_154951.jpg

Once I had the general shape, I filled the cracks between the sections of foam and the areas where I had accidentally taken out chunks while I was sanding with standard wall filler (I remember reading a while back that body fillers dissolve the foam)

IMG_20120306_160001.jpg

When dry I gave the entire stock a couple of coats of casting plastic (I used Polytek Easyflo 95, most people seem to use Smooth-cast but it's hard to get in the UK). This is so I can coat the stock in body filler, firstly to beef it up a touch and secondly so I can add some wood splits later

IMG_20120306_221346.jpg

Makeshift drying stand...:)
IMG_20120306_164512.jpg

While that was drying I started cutting the sections of MDF that will make up the receiver and the spine of the foregrip

IMG_20120306_211827.jpg

It was getting pretty late here, so I just had time to do one more quick thing. Prepping the barrel and ammo tube for painting, which, weather depending, I should get done tomorrow afternoon.

The barrel and ammo tube are 16mm clear acrylic pipe. I did make a bit of a whoopsie, as I ordered a 2m length assuming that both the barrel and ammo tube were the same diameter, the barrel is actually a couple of millimetres wider, but I can get around that with a couple of extra coats of primer

IMG_20120306_220104.jpg

Hopefully I'll have an update up tomorrow, but like I said, it's weather depending...

Last edited:
Re: Fallout: NV Brush Gun/Trail Carbine WIP

So as expected, the weather today was horrendous. I got very little done outside apart from priming and putting some filler on the barrel and ammo tube.

Also, there was a disaster, but I'll save that for the end of the post.....

IMG_20120307_162915.jpg

IMG_20120307_172911.jpg

I just slopped some filler on the barrel to widen it a touch, intending to sand it down smooth. However, when I had rough sanded it to shape, I realised that it actually gives it a 'worn over the years' look. Might save on some weathering later down the road

IMG_20120307_180307.jpg

Barrel and ammo tube glued together, the masking tape is for support while it's drying

IMG_20120307_184110.jpg

Ok........now for the disaster.

Being the stupid idiot that I am, I scaled each piece separately without bothering to place them together to check overall size....

I hade an inkling it was going badly as the reciever just looked too big as I was gluing it together earlier. The whole piece turned out to be about 150mm longer than it should.

150mm may not seem like a lot when your talking about a rifle that can range from 900mm to 1200mm, but I'm not the tallest guy in the world and it just looked huge on me.

I can salvage the barrel, but the rest of the build needs to be redone. Considering I had given myself a 3 day window for this, I am going at breakneck speed now.

To save precious seconds, instead of drawing up more plans, I just fired the in game render onto my TV and traced a rough outline on card. Then, rather than gluing it on to the MDF, I just traced around the outline with a sharpie

IMG_20120307_211411.jpg

The pieces are being glued at the minute, and, in the interest of saving more time, I hoked out the Araldite Rapid that I had used earlier... I use it when I'm repairing golf clubs, hopefully I don't have to repair any soon as I'm going to be out of it by the time this is done

Re: Fallout: NV Brush Gun/Trail Carbine WIP - Day 3 Update

Ok, day number 3 is coming to a close

Fission Mailed....even with the screw up with the size, 3 days was probably too tight for me to finish. Ah well, it's starting to come together and hopefully will be ready for painting either tomorrow or Saturday

Got a bit of a late start today, weather wasn't great this morning and the first thing I needed to do was some body filler work :facepalm

Before I started anything though, I did a test fit to see if I had got the dimensions right this time

IMG_20120308_131516.jpg

Looked pretty good, so I glued the barrel into place with more Araldite

The next hour or so was a bit of a rush, I got a break in the weather to get outside and do what filling I wanted, so there's a lack of pictures.

Essentially I filled the cutout sections of the receiver around the barrel, and used more filler to level off the areas for the foregrip so I can glue pieces of foam on later

Unfortunately after the first rough skim and sanding, the rain came down again, so I came inside and finished it off the small rough sections with wall filler.

I wanted it to dry asap, so I rigged it up in front of my heater on a low heat

IMG_20120308_164732.jpg

While that was drying, I cut out pieces of styrene that will finish off the shape of the receiver. They were done exactly the same way as the second batch of MDF. Render put on my TV, traced onto card, then traced onto the styrene.

IMG_20120308_175230.jpg

Both pieces were then glued on to the body with yet more Araldite

IMG_20120308_175620.jpg

Although it was getting pretty dark, I needed to fill the top and the bottom of the receiver with body filler. Didn't really want to wait until morning, so without an outside light I went for it. Came out pretty well considering I could see very little.

After that I built up the bottom of the foregrip with some Apoxie Sculpt and prepared a couple of the edges of the receiver for the raised sections. I'm not too sure whether to make them out of foam, or Apoxie sculpt but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

My Dremel did decide to show itself today which was a big positive, cut my sanding times in half at least

IMG_20120308_220951.jpg

IMG_20120308_223854.jpg

Turns out I only have a half day at work tomorrow, so hopefully I should get a good bit done. I'm planning on having at least the stock and foregrip done, if there's no more hiccups I might get a bit further

I got really lazy over the weekend, and distracted by a couple of other ideas that are bouncing around in my head, so I got nowhere near as much work done as planned. Still, moving forward though which is always a good thing

So, I needed to build up the stock...again, which is even more monotonous the second time you do it. Problem was, I hadn't ordered an awful lot of foam, and what I was left with was basically a box of scraps

IMG_20120309_190555.jpg

There are quite a few more seams on this one than the original, but hopefully the coats of resin will hold it together well enough.

I was really going through the Araldite too, so I decided to use double sided tape to secure the foam to the spine this time...

IMG_20120309_185709.jpg

...then sanded it to shape...

IMG_20120309_205111.jpg

...on both sides

IMG_20120309_222447.jpg

IMG_20120309_222501.jpg

The foregrip was done in pretty much the same way, apart from using Araldite rather than double sided tape. It too was sanded roughly to shape

IMG_20120312_233008.jpg

I also started building the peep sight and barrel sights, but they're nowhere near ready so I won't bother posting a picture of some acrylic strips glued together

That's pretty much where I'm at now, next step is coating with resin, applying body filler, and yet more sanding.....yay

Yeah, excellent job so far!

And well done for starting again when you realised you'd gone astray!

Rich

Cheers guys, always nice to have some encouragement.

Sorry for the lack of updates, had a bit of a chest infection there and the last thing I wanted to do was start sanding and firing dust in the air. Back at it today though, should have some pics later tonight.

I should add this. I'm not really known for restarting projects after mistakes and seeing them through, as my friends keep reminding me....

Case in point:

IMG_20120320_145406.jpg
IMG_20120320_145455.jpg

First one is way too small and completely wrong (I based it off really poor screenshots) and I can't remember what's wrong with the second one, but I messed something up. This is actually kind of a sore point, I started building it as a surprise for a friends birthday and gave up as I was never going to make it in time. If I can find the willpower I might give it another go this year.

and the FO sniper rifle I mentioned earlier

IMG_20120320_145539.jpg

I'm actually really proud that I restarted this Brush Gun and kept going, maybe it's just the fact that I posted it here and am determined to finish it

Ah well, Brush Gun updates coming very soon....

Ok, here's todays update.

I'm past most of the large easy stuff, and on to the small-really-annoying-to-get-right stuff

Anyway, apologies in advance, there's quite a few pics here and that's with me cutting it down....

The stock got quite a few skims of body filler to smooth it out (still not quite right but at this stage of the build I want to push forward. I'll finish it off before I paint it)

IMG_20120320_185212.jpg
IMG_20120320_185202.jpg

Hard to see here, but I also added a couple of strips of styrene to act as a guide for the metal sections of the receiver that attach to the stock. As luck would have it, they worked quite well as a depth gauge for the body filler too

IMG_20120320_185318.jpg
IMG_20120320_185300.jpg

I discovered what happens when you sand the filler down too far at a certain point and a section hasn't adhered to the surface below.....easy repair but still really annoying :angry

IMG_20120320_185358.jpg

Ok, on to the receiver, I decided to widen it a bit, I was running out of styrene though, so I used some offcut strips as a guide for some filler

IMG_20120320_185220.jpg

Then I leveled off the top of it to get it parallel with the barrel...

IMG_20120320_210155.jpg

...heat formed a piece of styrene over the top, glued it down...

IMG_20120320_203654.jpg

...and used the sanding drum bit on my dremel to groove out the loading gate on the side of the receiver. I'll use the dremel to groove out the outlines of it too, but I've used up my steady hand allocation for today :rolleyes

IMG_20120320_220252.jpg

Last edited:

Crap, I nearly forgot. I need some input here, I thought the barrel looked a bit 'stumpy', so I made an extension for it. Problem is, now I'm not sure what looks better, would love some opinion on it. (The ammo tube would be lengthened too)

With...

IMG_20120320_223614.jpg

Or without...

IMG_20120320_223622.jpg

Last edited:

Nice work. Lots of nice work.

As for the type, it looks like they took bits of several guns. I found this pic.

Bushguns.jpg

top to bottom:
Ruger #1 RSI, 7x57, Leupy VXI 2-7x32
Browning BLR, 358Win, Leupy VXI Shotgun 1-4x20
Remington 740, 308Win, BBL cut to 18.2", Leupy VXI SG 1-4x20
Marlin 1894, 44 Rem. Mag....made 1977
Marlin 336RC, 30/30Win, Williams FP peep, True glow front sight....1952

What do you use for a......... - Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

The first pic in post #1 looks like a Browning BLR, but the other has some Winchester. I guess the Marlin would be closest overall.

Nice work. Lots of nice work.

As for the type, it looks like they took bits of several guns. I found this pic.

Snip

top to bottom:
Ruger #1 RSI, 7x57, Leupy VXI 2-7x32
Browning BLR, 358Win, Leupy VXI Shotgun 1-4x20
Remington 740, 308Win, BBL cut to 18.2", Leupy VXI SG 1-4x20
Marlin 1894, 44 Rem. Mag....made 1977
Marlin 336RC, 30/30Win, Williams FP peep, True glow front sight....1952

What do you use for a......... - Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

The first pic in post #1 looks like a Browning BLR, but the other has some Winchester. I guess the Marlin would be closest overall.

Thanks dude,

Yeah, I found a link after I'd started that said it was an amalgamation of a Marlin Guide Gun (basically the bottom one in that photo) and a Winchester 1886. The retexture if definitely more Winchester, plus for some weird reason has completely different styles of receiver on each side. I settled on mixing the two to get similar sides....

Just a very quick update today guys, due to various reasons (work, illness etc) I haven't got too much further, but I want to keep a fairly steady stream of updates going...

Anywho, I finished off the rough body filler work on the stock and foregrip, and started shaping the raised sections of the receiver with Apoxie sculpt and filler

Here you go

IMG_20120327_225814.jpg

IMG_20120327_225849.jpg

IMG_20120327_230059.jpg

Hopefully this infection clears up soon and I can get back to full speed

That is looking awesome! Great foam shaping skills there. Can't wait to see more updates!

The trasition from the stock to the receiver looks amazing!
Also, I myself would prefer the shorter barrel.

_A

Cheers guys,

As for the barrel length, after rechecking my measurements I settled on adding about 10mm to the barrel, and 20 to the ammo tube. Minor adjustments yes, but it looks better

amazing what a bit of mdf, some pipe and foamex can become, this is inspirational work for me dude, ive thrown stuff away you could make this gun with. "FINISH HIM" *mortal kombat voice

Funny you should say that. All the bits apart from the pipe are offcuts that I had lying around from previous builds

I have to give props to Volpin though, I used to build nearly everything out of solid MDF or pine. After I nabbed the idea of coating the foam in casting resin to protect it from dissolving from him, it was a no-brainer to do it this way

Oh, and thanks

Another quick update, I've been working away with the Apoxie Sculpt on the receiver.

I think I'm going to do the rest of the receiver with filler for two reasons:

1. I haven't used clay for about 10 years, since my days at school, whatever sculpting skill I had seems to have deserted me. I'm working with a 'get it roughly right and make it larger than it's supposed to be so I can sand it down' mentality...

2. Waiting 24 hours for the Apoxie to cure so I can sand it down and layer more on top is doing my head in. I do have patience, but I need to start a different build within the next week and the day long wait is really slowing me down

IMG_20120402_224804.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back