Fallout New Vegas 10mm Pistol Build FINISHED

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Triple 8 Props

So I decided that I wanted to move away from the EVA 10mm pistol's I've been making and build a durable one that could potentially get molded. So here we go!

I started by gluing two pieces of 1/2" MDF together to make a 1" thick piece (using regular wood glue).

I then used my brand new scroll saw to cut out the base, "spine" piece. This was traced form my blueprint which can be downloaded here. From this piece, more detailed will be added outward.

That notch on the end fit some half in PVC that I will be using as the barrel. I did this now to prevent me from having to drill a hole from the side of the MDF and worring about it being straight down.

Now I moved on to the lower "battery" piece. I would love to lathe this but I don't happen to have one. Instead, I used some wooden dowels. I mounted a small, half inch dowel inside of a larger dowel which actually took a ton of time. I was then able to put this in my drill and basically use it as a lathe. I used some files and sandpaper to add the angles and seams seen on the actual gun.

The final detail for this piece is a small piece of styrene heat-formed to the curve of the dowel.

Attachments

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Triple 8 Props

Re: Fallout New Vegas 10mm Pistol Build

I then began to add layers of PVC sheet to the sides of the MDF to build up details on the gun.

Smaller details were done with styrene sheet of various thicknesses and the "battery" piece was attached to the bottom of the gun. The barrel is just a segment of PVC pipe and I filled the gaps around it with Apoxie Sculpt. The handle was eventually shaped with a Dremel tool and sanding bit.

Another detail I added that isn't exactly accurate to the game but looks cool are these little hex bolts. I bought plastic ones which allowed me to cut them very short. The gaps around them (because they were just smaller than my drill bit) were filled in with some more Apoxie Sculpt.

Unfortunatlety I don't have very many pictures of the build process but it was a lot of cutting and gluing of various plastic details. Before I began to paint, all of the edges of the MDF were sealed with some super glue. This is an awesome tip I learned form Bill Doran from whom I learned many of the building techniques at play in this build. Now here's a picture after lots of sanding and primer!

One detail I wanted to nail was the drip texture seen in-game. After a ton of searching, I found a pyramid textured plastic sheet made for chocolatiers. It was super thin so I back filled my pieces with some epoxy before attaching them to a styrene sheet. More gap filling was done with Apoxie Sculpt and then they were glued to the gun!

After wetsanding the final coat of primer up to 400 grit, I began painting. The gun first received a layer of Krylon Silver spray paint. Then areas were masked off and I painted a coat of flat black.

After a layer of flat clear coat, weathering began. Again, my photography suffered here but I first did a coat of black grime across the entire gun. That was followed up by a coat of brown grime to get me here:

The final touch was some quick dry brushing with some Testors Enamel Silver. Now I can't talk about painting without giving credit to Volpin Props and his awesome eBook on finishing. I did the best paint job of my life (so far) and I truly believe it was because of this book. If you plan on painting anything, but his book right away.

A final layer of clear and the gun is done!

I do have to give myself some credit for this photography. I finally found a use for that black piece of fabric.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

Last edited: