Fallout AER9 Laser Rifle Build (WIP)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Hydrogen, May 14, 2012.

1. Hydrogen

Hydrogen New Member

First post and first prop!

A few weeks ago I decided I wanted a AER9 from Fallout. So I started from scratch and some measurements I judged from the game. While googling I came across several blogs with builds and then I came across this forum. Then I decided to start from scratch, using NeXXts blueprints as a base. I collected as much information and inspiration as I could:

[​IMG]
    folders by mkirby13, on Flickr

Then while looking through my Fallout 3 design sketch book I found this picture of the prototype.

[​IMG]
    774px-F3Laser01 by mkirby13, on Flickr

It has the same feel as the game model, with some changes, like orientation of the MF cell, the front is different. I think im going to try and recreate this model, basing most of the elements off the Game model, while grabbing some of the differences from this sketch.

All I need now is some 1/2inch MDF, some 1/4inch MDF and some styrene. Never worked with styrene before, I need to hunt some down locally!

Props all the original makers of these weapons, many of which are part of this forum; Volpin, NeXXt, Kronos, Jm419, Mattlb and Apolifka off the top of my head. Some more designs were found on deviantart.

Special mention to NeXXt for making the blueprints, which it seems most people have used. And to Volpin for the decals for the weapon and MF Cell

EDIT: I apologise if I missed giving someone credit. If it appears that I have missed someones build, please link it to me, more pictures the better!

2. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Oh, MAN! Awesome! I have my own file and everything!

This one'll be neat to see; the vertical Microfusion cell will probably be easier to work with - and makes more sense. I'm interested to see how you do the front focusing array.

Still, remember to use ingame reference wherever you can, otherwise you end up replicating other peoples' mistakes. Of course, the ingame model cheats with geometry in some places, but try to play around with the ingame gun as much as you can.

3. Hydrogen

Hydrogen New Member

That's the plan, I was thinking more of using pics of everyone's build in progress to see how parts were done, and some of the shapes and small details!

4. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Good man. I'm looking forward to watching this one. :)

5. Hydrogen

Hydrogen New Member

Did most of the shopping for this build today. Looks like im working with 1/2 inch MDF as i cant get 1/4inch anywhere. I also picked up some gorilla glue, another can of bondo. A new router bit to do the edges of the barrel and holes in the stock.

Having printed and attached the 1:1 blueprint of the stock, im kicking my self for not buying a 24x36 inch table top CNC router I was looking at before christmas, and those funds are long gone!

I still need a few items. like styrene for doing details and around the stock. And i need to figure out how im going to do the MF Cell and bottom rod, as i have no access to a lathe.

Pics on friday or saturday when I have time to start cutting

6. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Ya know, I can never find 1/4 MDF either! I have to settle for "hardboard" which I hat!!!

7. Hydrogen

Hydrogen New Member

if thats what im thinking of, it chips a lot? i hate that stuff too. I have a planer so im just going to thin down pieces of 1/2mdf when needed.

8. Hydrogen

Hydrogen New Member

I had 2 hours after work today before the rain started ( Im working with the MDF next to the garage door).

I started with this:
    [​IMG]

Cracked my blade so started to work on the stock.

Holes cut:
    [​IMG]

and rounded with the router:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried to start sanding the stock but had 2 problems: need coarser sanding drum, MDF seems to clog the finer sanding drums, and it started to rain. Saturday ill pick up some 40 grit drums and a package of scrollsaw blades and finish the stock. Barrel pieces are cut and need to be glued!

EDIT: with all that MDF, the fact that ill have a stock template once this one is cut out, ive decided im going to make 2. One AER9 from the game, and the one from the concept art

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  9. Hydrogen

Hydrogen New Member

Didnt snap many progress pics on saturday, but here was the end result. This week I'll start on the barrel.

[​IMG]

10. TK-1776

TK-1776 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

AWESOME!!! Looks great! I need to get my hands on Boone's sniper rifle. Any suggestions?

11. Hydrogen

Hydrogen New Member

Haven't really looked into it. Looks like you would be able to find an airsoft rifle that matches the shape and mod from there.

12. TK-1776

13. Hydrogen

Hydrogen New Member

14. TK-1776

Once I get it and remove the bi-pod off the bottom, tape it up and try to weather it, I think it should work great.

15. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

We cant have to many Fallout builds. Very clean and nice! :thumbsup

16. Mattlb

Mattlb New Member

Hey man, if you want I've got plenty more pictures where that came from.

17. Zorlord

Zorlord Member

If you guys are looking for any airsoft-related props, shoot me a PM. The super9 is a piece of crap, and i cant imagine anyone spending 150 dollars on one.. Let me know what you're looking for, and ill see if i can help.