Fallout 76

Just a heads up everyone, avoid any suspicious never before seen plans or paint jobs in game for armor. For instance, the entire collection of BoS paints and Atom Cats showed up on some Reddit markets and Discord markets. Apparently they were ill gotten by people who glitched their way into an admin room that contains all the plans for the game in the software at this point. All users who have done this have been banned, though anyone they sold those to have not been banned as of yet. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole at this point until I'm sure they are in game legitimately.

Joooooinnnnnn ussssssssss
Keeping a gaming computer up-to-date was getting to be more stress than it was worth. I'm happy with my xBone, except that I can't play online games with people on other platforms.

In other news, I'm 49 and agonizingly close to being able to use the Ultracite armor (and a few level-50 weapons I've been stashing). I may soon be ready to start building my C.A.M.P. in earnest.

I've compiled a long list of tweaks and fixes I would like to see implemented, from the minor-but-irksome, like the compass still being backward inside Whitespring or the map markers being offset to starboard on one's power armor compass... to the purely aesthetic, like wanting the Enclave Scout Mask code adjusted to make it possible to wear it with a hat (since it's not a full-head covering), or the too-specific skins expanded a little (combat armor paint could also apply to Marine armor, say, or the chrome paint for the minigun could be used on the gatling gun, etc.)... to the fundamental flaws -- the duping glitch, too-small building budgets, the vendor caps cap and trade algorithm, not being able to buff weapons or armor past 50 despite >50 enemies, server-crashing crafting and inventory glitches, and so on.

I'm also a bit miffed at the time/difficulty involved in acquiring various items or resources. I'm not a filthy casual, but also don't have for serious grind or farming. Why I'm only now brushing 50, despite playing since late November. Trying to hoard Technical Data to get decent rewards, but I don't run across it often. Just impulsively turned in a treasure map, since I'm at least close to 50, and got my first power armor plan (T-51 helmet) besides the quest-reward X-01. To say nothing of nuke zones and trying to gather enough stuff to craft fusion cores, jetpacks, power armor stealth mods, and the like without getting killed.

At least I'm comfortable soloing scorchbeasts now. Gone from "****! ****! RUN AWAY!" to "Hold still so I can kill you! I don't have time for this ****!"

I wouldn't bother crafting Fusion Cores. Just take a power plant workshop and setup the FC generator.

Also, regarding Technical Data, I think you only 'carry' one at a time. You can keep picking them up, but it only counts as one item I think. So you turn them in all effectively the same. Any evidence to the contrary?

Last edited:
So, I'm about level 130, with well over 100 hours clocked in. Here are some brief thoughts. Note, I will be doing a full out review soon, this is just some thoughts for those who may be considering playing the game.

So, if you find yourself asking the question, should I buy this game, the answer I'd give you is no. This game isn't worth 60 dollars. Hell, it isn't worth 30 either. This game is without a doubt fundamentally broken. It is a disgrace that it was released in this state. Still to this day, quite a while after launch, and the game is still broken. That is even more disgusting, and it's become quite a joke online and abroad. This game, needless to say, has been great for those who like memes. A broken, disfunction mess. And that's being nice.

Now, would I recommend you play it for free (like I got to)? Well...…….yeah, I would. If this was a free to play game that made it's bones on microtransaction like Fallout Shelter does, I think it would be a different story. It would still be broken, but you might not be as mad about it (although, you still would) when the game constantly crashes out. You might not be mad, but you might not play anymore either...……..

That said, this game runs 60 bucks and is not free. For 60 dollars, this game needed much more beta testing and fixing before release. Please note that if you pay for broken, unfinished games, you are contributing to the problem. If gamers don't take a stand with their wallets, you can bet your *** this will become the norm. Just like 60 dollar PC games did (do you remember when they were $40?).

Don't get me wrong, as far as greedy mindless cash grabs go (which is all this game was) the game is fun to play. That's what makes it so frustrating. The theory here is sound. The execution, however, was beyond flawed. It's a shame, too, because the game has really fun moments. The co-op idea was really good, and making new friends in the wasteland is an experience to behold. But then the broken mess crashes right when you're having fun. Kinda hard to highlight the good when the bad constantly (and I mean constantly) takes a dump on your good time.

PvP was a total joke, and should have never been put into the game in the first place. It's one of the many things that's helping kill this game. Making a PvP mode, similar to the PvP events like at Watoga High School, would've been smarter. But it's not like PvP could ever be fair anyways. Building the game on the old dinosaur engine has allowed countless hackers and cheaters to exploit the game. Ebay is filled with weapons that were obtained from the "secret dev room", which shouldn't have existed in an online game in the first place. Now the in-game economy is totally shot. There is literally no point in having an in-game economy now.

In short, Fallout 76 would've been great, had they finished it, and actually thought about the process of making these kind of online only games. Honestly, after the joke that was Fallout 4, I think Bethesda is quite ignorant to believe they could tackle a project like this, when they still haven't fixed all the bugs from Fallout 4, many of which found their way into Fallout 76. They needed to redeem themselves after watering down one of the most beloved RPG games of all time. They need to show their fans that they had not forgotten how to make stellar RPG games. Instead, they went the other direction. They seem to see Fallout 4 differently, like it was some amazing masterpiece. Did it sell well? Yeah, but on the backs of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Once people got the game in their hands, they quickly realized this was no Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Not even close. At best, it was a Fallout themed action shooter. It's not even actually canon, honestly. Most people think it is, or pretend it is, but it directly refutes past game lore. And not like how Fallout 3 did, either. Fallout 3 included things like Jet and Super Mutants because it was about identity. Fallout 4 directly contradicts things for no real apparent reason. It's almost like they wanted to **** you off.

Anyhow, it's a fun game, without a doubt. But the game's shotty performance and constant glitches and crashes make it hard to remember the good times.

People keep saying silly things like "It'll be better in a year, give them time." To that, I say "It won't matter if everybody has forgotten it by then...….."

What is contradictory about 4?

To start, the existence of T-60 Power Armor as an armor model made after the T-51b. As previous lore tells (and literally one of Fallout 4's loading screens) T-51b was the last pre war model, and was the pinnacle of pre war armor. It was literally what helped the U.S. liberate Alaska, enabling the troops to pound enemy tanks with ease.

Another Power Armor related goof was the X-01 suit locked away at Nuka World. The terminals suggest that the U.S. Government was already making the X-01, which is presumed to be the Advanced Power Armor from Fallout 2. But that armor was not created by the U.S. government, it was created by the Enclave, and it was created after the war. So, according to Nuka World, X-01 would be the best pre war armor, not T-60? But, they just told us in a loading screen that T-60 was the best! And then, in another loading screen tells us that T-51 was the best! Some have suggested that the X-01 is not the Advanced Power Armor, but I don't really buy that. And the game writers/devs/whoevers didn't care enough to clarify further. Just muddy the waters, and walk away I guess.

That's just a couple of examples. You could find videos on youtube all day long pointing out every little thing, I'm not gonna do all that.

Now, it's important for me to clarify something here. Fallout 4 was indeed fun to play for me. Was it as good as previous titles? Hell no. But on it's own legs it was indeed probably the best action shooter of it's day. But, it was not the best RPG. That is something we can all agree on I hope.

So, I'm about level 130, with well over 100 hours clocked in. Here are some brief thoughts. Note, I will be doing a full out review soon, this is just some thoughts for those who may be considering playing the game.

So, if you find yourself asking the question, should I buy this game, the answer I'd give you is no. This game isn't worth 60 dollars. Hell, it isn't worth 30 either. This game is without a doubt fundamentally broken. It is a disgrace that it was released in this state. Still to this day, quite a while after launch, and the game is still broken. That is even more disgusting, and it's become quite a joke online and abroad. This game, needless to say, has been great for those who like memes. A broken, disfunction mess. And that's being nice.

People keep saying silly things like "It'll be better in a year, give them time." To that, I say "It won't matter if everybody has forgotten it by then...….."

Wow, that's pretty harsh. I'm not going to say that they released a perfect game, or better yet that Bethesda's PR department had a sterling record with the issues that came up, but the answer I'd give is a yes. For all the problems you like to cite there, I'd like to point out you still somehow managed to put over 100 hours in the game and don't seem to have any plans to stop. I've got quite a few hours myself, and am only a little behind you in levels, but I've had a great time and I think a LOT of the complaints have come from entitled whiny gamers who are at this point cynically trying to find the next thing to hate, because it seems to be the only thing they can do anymore. The level of hate and vitriol has gotten out of hand in a lot of things, and it's trickled into gaming where people seem to compete for the most hysterically over the top hate on something to generate the most clicks/views for their channels. It's sad really people can't seem to enjoy things anymore, and have to hate on it all.

Also, the game has come down considerably in price, I think I heard places selling it at $30 but haven't confirmed that myself. Assuming someone wants to get it, that is all you will have to pay EVER. There's no monthly sub, all content (except cosmetic only items) will be available after that single purchase with all future DLC being free. There will be no pay wall for any game access, and the Atomic shop is purely cosmetic items with no gameplay affect (no pay to win).

And no, people won't have forgotten F76 in a year's time. From what I've heard, there is a LOT coming to fill our time.

Wow, that's pretty harsh. I'm not going to say that they released a perfect game, or better yet that Bethesda's PR department had a sterling record with the issues that came up, but the answer I'd give is a yes. For all the problems you like to cite there, I'd like to point out you still somehow managed to put over 100 hours in the game and don't seem to have any plans to stop. I've got quite a few hours myself, and am only a little behind you in levels, but I've had a great time and I think a LOT of the complaints have come from entitled whiny gamers who are at this point cynically trying to find the next thing to hate, because it seems to be the only thing they can do anymore. The level of hate and vitriol has gotten out of hand in a lot of things, and it's trickled into gaming where people seem to compete for the most hysterically over the top hate on something to generate the most clicks/views for their channels. It's sad really people can't seem to enjoy things anymore, and have to hate on it all.

Also, the game has come down considerably in price, I think I heard places selling it at $30 but haven't confirmed that myself. Assuming someone wants to get it, that is all you will have to pay EVER. There's no monthly sub, all content (except cosmetic only items) will be available after that single purchase with all future DLC being free. There will be no pay wall for any game access, and the Atomic shop is purely cosmetic items with no gameplay affect (no pay to win).

And no, people won't have forgotten F76 in a year's time. From what I've heard, there is a LOT coming to fill our time.

You are right. It is quite harsh. We judge the things we care about a bit more, I think.

Again, I do want to point out, that I do in fact like the game. There lies the problem. When I'm having a good time, or fighting the end boss, or trying to make a simple transaction, the game/server crashing is that much more angering. Even more so when it's the third time in one day.

I most certainly do not intend to stop playing, and I do hope it's not forgotten, but it's path ain't paved in gold. It's got an uphill battle, and the clock's ticking. Can they pull it off? I hope so.

But you must agree that PvP is totally broken, yes? No way to fix that I think. Not that it was essential anyways. Co-op seems a much better fit, in my opinion.

...….I think a LOT of the complaints have come from entitled whiny gamers who are at this point cynically trying to find the next thing to hate, because it seems to be the only thing they can do anymore....

Just to be clear, this isn't me. I know what you're saying, and I agree. My problem is that I like it too much, and it's flaws tend to really dig in under my skin.

It's the "technical difficulties" that bother me, not the game's existence or the fact that it wasn't Fallout 5.

I dunno if this is about whiny gamers. The game felt unfinished, the egnine is outdatet now and was outdatet 10 years ago. Bethesda chose the low road and I think it's nothing whiny about to point that out. If people are having fun with the game, it's great but it's by far not even close to a good finished game.

it feels like a game where every part of it is a 7/10 portion of the game, but then when you put them all together, they make each other worse, and you're left with a 4 or 5/10.

I really enjoy the world they've made. I'll be diving back in when I can have my own server, and throw some mods in to make it where I'm just exploring, as opposed to grinding for gear and levels.

As much as I love the whole Fallout series, I agree with much of what GhostMinion said. In fact, I have already stopped playing Fallout 76. Unless someones pings me to join a session, I will pick it back up after seeing a whole series of new patches.

I have already hit the end game, there is nothing really left to do other than try to gather all the power armor, which I actually don't use outside nuke zones. Hunting wanted is no longer fun, as the wanted system is now just a way of tagging either people who accidentally got wanted, or deliberate griefers. Workshops are pointless to capture if your server has even a single griefer. They just travel to your workshop, and use it as an excuse to engage in PVP, with no interested in the actual workshop.

The game doesn't have any of the replay value that Fallout 4 had. In Fallout 4 you can re-play the game and pick a totally different style of play. You can do that in FO76 to a very limited degree, but if you select a Melee character, you will eventually hit a wall because you can't kill the flying-fartgun-beasts until they land for ten seconds, oh and you have zero rewards because there are no good Legendary melee weapons.

If you play like I did, as a non-automatic rifle man, you get to enjoy the amazing lever rifle. And then never ever get a legendary variant that is good enough to take down anything big. So you end up having to split into a heavy weapons build just to fight the higher level enemies.

I don't think it will kill the Fallout series, or be forgotten. It is still an enjoyable game, but play it as a single-player game, sometimes with friends. Consider PVP just another bug to be avoided.

Regarding PVP? Only time I bothered with it was when I had to blow the head off a newbie who ran into my CAMP, started shooting the interior poster of Mr Pebbles, and I told him if he keeps that up I'd have to blow him up. He stopped. Ran outside the building, started shooting the outside walls. He learned what a max level lever action rifle with exploding rounds and 9 Perk cards in Rifleman and an additional 3 ranks of Bloody Death did to his face pretty quick from a VATS critical shot. I actually had to turn off Pacifist mode to do that because I had turned it on from day 1 and had no intention of turning it off. If you say it's broken, ok, I don't really care as I have no interest in it what so ever. For the most part, I've never had anyone even try to attack my character, so it's never even been an after thought for me.

I'm not saying the game is perfect, nor even without serious issues that need and are being addressed, but I'm sick of the constant crapping on the game because people had expectations that didn't even meet the reality or information they had already been presented since day 1 of the announcement.

To start, the existence of T-60 Power Armor as an armor model made after the T-51b. As previous lore tells (and literally one of Fallout 4's loading screens) T-51b was the last pre war model, and was the pinnacle of pre war armor. It was literally what helped the U.S. liberate Alaska, enabling the troops to pound enemy tanks with ease.

Another Power Armor related goof was the X-01 suit locked away at Nuka World. The terminals suggest that the U.S. Government was already making the X-01, which is presumed to be the Advanced Power Armor from Fallout 2. But that armor was not created by the U.S. government, it was created by the Enclave, and it was created after the war. So, according to Nuka World, X-01 would be the best pre war armor, not T-60? But, they just told us in a loading screen that T-60 was the best! And then, in another loading screen tells us that T-51 was the best! Some have suggested that the X-01 is not the Advanced Power Armor, but I don't really buy that. And the game writers/devs/whoevers didn't care enough to clarify further. Just muddy the waters, and walk away I guess.

The X-01 isn't the APA of the original games. They look visibly different next to each other. Moreso than T-45 and T-60, but it's also obvious one evolved from the other. The X-01 suit in Nuka World was a rollout demonstrator, and Whitespring's computer had the plans, but it was an Enclave project in development that was supposed to be just on the edge of being revealed to the public when the bombs fell.

Going back a little in the timeline, the Anchorage campaign lasted from June 2076 -- when the T-51b was deployed -- to January 2077 -- when Chinese forces were driven out of Alaska. The T-45d was still in general use, with the T-51b getting more widespread after the campaign -- but still mostly used to prosecute the war into China, to keep the Chinese off-balance. From everything I've seen, the T-60 (no version letter, I've always noticed) seems more like an upgrade to the T-45 design than its own new thing. The T-45 and -51 next to each other are very different. But the T-45 and -60 look enough alike that I usually have to look at them side by side to be 100% of which I'm looking at. Same lower chest vents, same ribbed shoulder pauldrons with the same carry loops, same split visor lenses, same helmet frontpiece... Just a little different. Like they were working on uprating the T-45's to keep them non-obsolescent until they could get more T-51's out the door, but they'd made enough changes it required a new designation beyond T-45e.

Everything I've been able to glean from the game lore is that the T-60 was only still in a field-testing stage in October '77, with limited numbers out in the wild. And the X-01 was something the Enclave was working on for itself, with maybe half a dozen prototypes. And, after the bombs, lost access to for a while. Note MODUS mentioning losing contact with the other Enclave systems. I can see it taking a couple decades to either recover or re-create their earlier research in order to resume development of the APA out on the Oil Rig in 2198.

The issues of findability out in the map, depending on player level, is a gameplay matter, and I've had to compartmentalize that from lore when they contradict. Like the legendary characters in Battlefront.

As for 76...? "Yes, and..." I presume you've looked around a bit and seen that the PC port is far and away buggier than the console ports. They definitely should have worked on it more before pushing it out the door. I'm curious about the launch date, who set it, whether they consulted with the dev team before doing so, etc. It seems like some exec wanted to take advantage of the Christmas buying period, even if the game needed another six months of testing and fixes. ANd, of course, they couldn't release the console versions and then hold the PC version back for months.

I do have issues, as I said, but I'm also, by and large, enjoying it. More than I saw my friends enjoying Elder Scrolls Online when it launched. I think my biggest hope is that we put in the sweat equity and a version of 76 eventually becomes free-to-play, as with ESO now, and a bigger, richer world like I experience there. I looked at ESO on launch, and the issues were enough to turn me off of it altogether. It was only a couple friends' persistence that got me to try it about a year ago, and most of the early issues are gone (partly, I admit, replaced with all-new issues *lol*). There are a lot of people playing 76 on the xBone, at least. When I'm trying to play with the one semi-consistent group I run with, I frequently run into the server-full queue.

The only game-breaking glitch I run across is when too much is happening all at once. Like, a scorchbeast attacking Whitespring and the robots respond, and a bunch of scorched show up, and gee it's starting to get choppy, and another player over on the far side of the building is shooting, too, aaaaaaand it froze. Beyond that, the rest are, at most, irksome but bearable. I occasionally have to remind myself to get out of power armor before scrapping stuff, since that bug is still a thing.

PVP is something I've never cared for. I wish there were a hotkey for reporting harassment, though. Had some dude follow me and my friend halfway across the map trying to initiate PVP. We walked from Whitespring to the capitol building and this twit dogged us the whole way, shooting ineffectually because we had Pacifist turned on, as always. I wouldn't mind if there were PVP-specific zones. Like Cyrodil in ESO -- you go there, you're fair game. And the Imperial City is an active war zone, so within the PVP zone, there's an even more PVP zone. It's impossible to just accidentally stumble into it.

I wouldn't mind something somewhere between that and what Galaxies had. In that game, if anyone remembers, you started out neutral, but if you did enough quests for either Empire or Rebellion, you could acquire enough faction points you could join one or the other. And, if you did, the other could and would target you. I like the notion that you come out of Vault 76 as a pretty blank slate, but then the choices you make during gameplay skew you one way or another. I think BoS and Enclave should be mutually-isolated questlines. They would not get along. Both would be opposed to Raider gangs. And so on. As in ESO, in general it wouldn't matter. One can be a member of any of the three main factions and, except when it's relevant to a quest, the other factions won't bat an eye at you running around. But go into a PVP zone, and it's on. But in ESO, as opposed to Galaxies, you pick your faction during character creation.

But yeah -- having it being a world-wide thing that you can only semi-opt-out of doesn't work.

Lastly, your gripe about exploiters and their impact on the game... I've seen stuff from people who have glitched into the President's office in Whitespring, through the Vault 96 door, from people who datamined the armor skins (and also deduced, from the fact that it couldn't be mapped to the existing armor models from Fallout 4, that the Excavator and Ultracite armors were physically distinct), and so forth. It's all gotten me intrigued and, at worst, has given me focus (I was very deliberately getting myself to the point I could do the BoS questline specifically to get the Ultracite armor). I don't consider the Presidental office content a spoiler -- just confirmation of what all the ballot printers and voter-ID stations imply. For me, they're teasers, and I know how to avoid them if I prefer. But the people buying and selling stuff they've acquired through less than kosher means...? I don't get that. I mean, I know it has to be happening because people are doing it and all that, but I can't wrap my head around why. Yeah, I've been impatient to get some piece of gear or other, but I play the game to get it. I don't cheat. Heck, I haven't even hit the guild traders in ESO yet. And that's legitimate. I don't know how much a few dozen or even hundred people doing that will break the in-game economy -- especially considering it's still only getting established just now.

I think 76 will be around for a bit. I am looking forward to the new content coming in 2019. I am hopeful they will fix and tweak things as they go, and we'll end up with a game at least as stable as ESO is. Both Bethesda, even though different teams. If they get it to that point, I will be glad to drop more money than I should on microtransactions, premium account perks, and large-scale game additions. ESO has had several so far, with another coming this June.

The X-01 isn't the APA of the original games. They look visibly different next to each other...……..

Jonah, I love you bro, and I love how passionately you want that to be true. But you and I both know **** good and well that was a bull **** shoe horn load of crap. So, are there different models of T-51b's too, because they look different from Fallout 3?

You and I know why it looks different. It has to, to go along with the bigger, bulkier look of Fallout 4's armor. I mean, do the mod versions of the Fallout 3 Enclave armors look exactly like the ones from Fallout 3? They can't, because they were much smaller suits, almost like metal clothing, in Fallout 3. Not nearly bulky enough for Fallout 4.

I'm not saying the game is perfect, nor even without serious issues that need and are being addressed, but I'm sick of the constant crapping on the game because people had expectations that didn't even meet the reality or information they had already been presented since day 1 of the announcement.

Alright dude, we get that. You don't need to keep repeating it. I, as I said before, totally agree.

One more time: The game is really fun. Super fun. It's not Fallout 5, and for what it is that's just fine. It's a game that is fun to play, and that's the point of video games.

It would be much more fun if it worked right, all the time, like OTHER video games do. I don't like the game crapping on my good time. Don't offer me a good game, and then crash me out over and over. I wanna play the god **** game, not look at the main menu over and over again.

Got it?

Everybody else, who complains that it isn't "their Fallout" can just deal with it. So let them, ignore them, and let's play (provided it doesn't crash us out).

Jonah, I love you bro, and I love how passionately you want that to be true. But you and I both know **** good and well that was a bull **** shoe horn load of crap. So, are there different models of T-51b's too, because they look different from Fallout 3?

You and I know why it looks different. It has to, to go along with the bigger, bulkier look of Fallout 4's armor. I mean, do the mod versions of the Fallout 3 Enclave armors look exactly like the ones from Fallout 3? They can't, because they were much smaller suits, almost like metal clothing, in Fallout 3. Not nearly bulky enough for Fallout 4.

I've been a Star Trek fan most of my life. I've been honing my rationalization and BS skills since I was a teenager. :p

That said, the Power Armor stuff I stand behind. Gameplay and game-evolution issues aside. I personally prefer the more person-sized power armor of the earlier games, despite how delightfully imposing it is in the last couple. I think a similar donning animation could still happen, without having to enlarge. Detail-wise, the up-detailing of the T-51 works. I ignore the various marks Fallout 4 gave us as gameplay mechanic. I feel the first test suits needed to get some tweaking before they were ready for prime time, hence the 'b'.

But when I look at the T-51 from Fallout, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4, I can see they're meant to be the same thing (scaling and gameplay issues aside, as I said). And it is so different from T-45 and T-60, which are so similar to each other, all the way through, that not only is it obvious they took what they learned from the T-45 and made an all-new suit, but that I can project the reverse on the T-60.

Meanwhile, this...

20110709203340.png

latest?cb=20070625092119.jpg

...is obviously related to, but just as obviously -- to me -- distinct from this...

960px-Fo4_Power_Armor_X01.png

latest?cb=20151230000154.png

It's more different than the T-45 and T-60, to these eyes. But, in both cases, I can see how the one was developed into the other more readily than I can see them as isolated designs -- and not at all as "Well, X is meant to be Y". Even accounting for iffy design differences like the entry hatch/fusion core socket backplate versus what was designed before Fallout 4 introduced that mechanic.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back