Fallout 4 Think Geek Pip Boy Custom/Fix

Thomsoad

I own one of the many defective Pip Boys made by ThinkGeek. The screen died after 15 - 20 minutes after purchase.

I am in no way a maker; especially with electronics, but I was hoping that somebody could help turn this item into a custom that could surpass the original.

Let me know if you can help me out, I live in Ontario Canada, and will ship the piece to you so you can return this item to its once proud state.

Thanks

Welcome to the RPF,

Looking this up on google, it seems that most of them had issues.

All I found was:
Please try to perform a factory reset on your Pip Boy unit to see if it resolves the booting issue you are experiencing.

To do so, please follow the steps below.

Please turn your Pip Boy Unit off Turn the feature select knob to DATA, then hold the flashlight button down. Turn the unit on Continue to hold the flashlight button down (past the boot-up vaultboy) until you see a factory reset message on the bottom of the screen.

That makes me think it is a software bug, and not a physical repair issue. Most likely they contracted with someone to do the design once, and had no further support from the original developer.

This post here, states they fixed it by replacing an internal battery. This is easy enough to without electronics knowledge.

If your looking to completely replace the electronics, that is a tall order. Perhaps this is why the new Pip-Boy prop is without electronics.

Ah, the infamous Blue Tooth Edition. We all had to have it. Many regretted it.

I have two. One works fine, no problems or bugs. The second one had the most common problem amongst them, the loading screen (or initializing screen, whatever) freezes. If you turned it on and off a bunch of times, eventually it would get past the loading screen and seemingly be alright. Factory reset did nothing to help. I had sent the second one back to Thinkgeek after emailing them, and they sent me a new one. I swear when I opened it, it was working fine. But more recently I pulled it out and realized it too was freezing on the loading screen, and so far I could not restart it enough times to get it to go through.

As of now, yeah, Thinkgeek does not offer any support for these. I'm not sure if replacing the internal battery on mine will fix this, but I'll look into it.

I would imagine this is exactly why the new Pip-boy doesn't come with electronics.

This seems long dead. I just bought my house and finally pulled this thing out of storage. I went to turn it on and it seems to get stuck on the loading screen
FILE SYSTEM CHECK

PLEASE STAND BY.....

I never really got to use it and I was hoping someone may have found a fix. I can't get it to factory reset because it won't get past the main loading screen. ThinkGeek is useless and wont help.

This seems long dead. I just bought my house and finally pulled this thing out of storage. I went to turn it on and it seems to get stuck on the loading screen
FILE SYSTEM CHECK

PLEASE STAND BY.....

I never really got to use it and I was hoping someone may have found a fix. I can't get it to factory reset because it won't get past the main loading screen. ThinkGeek is useless and wont help.

I couldn't find a way to download, decompile or fix the board in my two PipBoys so I want with new electronics, here is my post on the subject,

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back