1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Interest Fallout 3 - T-51b Power Armor Helmet from 3d Printed Master***Update In Last Post***

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by GhostMinion, Aug 30, 2015.

1. GhostMinion

GhostMinion Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey there guys, looking to gauge interest here on my T-51b Power Armor helmet. Been getting lots of posts and PM's about this one, so I figure it's time to start seeing who's interested. Please bear in mind that this is still an active project.

Here's a render of the helmet, modeled by my good friend Cassius (Cassius Props).

[​IMG][/IMG]

EDITED 8/5/2018
    Go to my last post (post #65 on page 3) for the
    latest information on this project.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    EmmaInCandyland and Dao2 like this.
  2. Dao2

Dao2 Well-Known Member

Re: Fallout 3 - T-51b Power Armor Helmet from 3d Printed Master

definitely interested!

3. VaultDweller

VaultDweller New Member

I'm very interested!

4. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any plans to sell the files themselves for those of us who have printers?

5. GhostMinion

Got you guys down. :thumbsup

No, the files themselves are not for sale, I'm afraid. I'll only be offering casted lids and parts.

6. GhostMinion

Bump for exposure

7. mikmik

mikmik New Member

Hi GhostMinion, im definitely interested..............

8. GhostMinion

Got you down. :thumbsup

9. GhostMinion

Bump for interest.

Here's the current state of the main lid. Should have an update on some of the small parts soon.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

10. forvalaka

forvalaka New Member

I'm in too please

11. GhostMinion

Got you down, good sir.

12. Mr Walker

Mr Walker Active Member

Definitely interested!

13. GhostMinion

Gotcha down. :thumbsup

Should have another worthy update in the next couple weeks.

14. Mr Walker

Mr Walker Active Member

I look forward to it. :)

15. thorssoli

thorssoli Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Interested pending final price.

16. GhostMinion

Gotcha down. :thumbsup Hopefully will have final prices soon.

17. Mr Walker

Mr Walker Active Member

I'll let my brain stew on hoses. I'm sure they wouldn't have to be custom made, nor overly expensive.

Visors, would vacforming work?

18. JKRIB

JKRIB Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Interested too!

19. GhostMinion

One of the biggest reasons I'll be custom making the hoses is to achieve complete and total onscreen accuracy. This has been my goal with all the helmets, all along. For some helmets, like the Hellfire helmet, the cost of onscreen accuracy is the inability to actually wear it (thankfully not the case with this one). While many have made awesome builds using various real hoses, those hoses never match the geometries of the hoses in the game. I've never been able to find or source anything that looks even remotely close, the closest thing being the type of hose that runs from your car door to the car cabin itself, sort of an accordion-like hose. These are never long at all, and wouldn't be very affordable anyways.

It's really not a big deal at all to make them from a printed master, you see. Just another part. The undetermined part of that equation is what I cast them in. I'd love for them to be rubber, and to be stiff enough to hold shape. I've even thought about how I could cast them hollow, so the weight does not cause sagging in the hose line. Really, it's likely going to be a trial and error sort of thing. I suspect I'll experiment with a couple different options.

As for the visors.........well, yes vacuum forming would be a good option. I just don't have access to one. It seems it would be less expensive for everyone all around if I made them in house, so I'll likely cast them up the same as everything else. I have two pressure pots, so I figured it would be easier to cast them.

20. GhostMinion

Bump for interest.

21. GhostMinion

Bump for interest. Did some work this past weekend, got some of the visor area cleaned up. Also started working on the cheek detail areas. Still much to do, but it's chuggin' along.

T51 VISOR.jpg T51 CHEEK.jpg

22. MyenShi

MyenShi New Member

Looking great! Very interested. :)

23. GhostMinion

Also, want to let everybody know that I will have some set prices this week. With the amount of interest I'm getting for these, price shouldn't be as steep as I was worried it was going to be. :)

24. Dao2

Dao2 Well-Known Member

yay \o/

25. GhostMinion

Bump for interest.

Didn't manage to get much done this past week, sadly. Had a lot of rain throughout the week, and I typically work outside. I was able to work on the helmet for a few hours this weekend, did a bunch of spot checking and am also finishing up work on the seams. I'm hoping to have the main shell all done in the next couple weeks, as there isn't too terribly much left to do. From there, I'll continue on with the smaller parts.

I'll post some pics of the progress later this week, after I've had some more time to finish the last of the clean up.

I've also updated the first post with pricing information. Please bear in mind that I will not be able to give a price on visor lenses and the hoses yet. Need to make them first before I will know how much they will cost. Hoses and visors will be an added option, as well as cold casting.

26. dregoth

dregoth New Member

Helmet is looking incredible. I'm interested depending on final prices with visor and hoses. The cold casting will likely be incredible.

27. GhostMinion

Got you down. Will advise once hoses and visor have been made.

28. GhostMinion

Update bump.

Got a few more of the smaller parts ready for molding. I'm slowly chipping away at them, and only have a few little parts left to print and master. Didn't manage to print the visor lens yet, I had some PC trouble and as a result lost my printer configuration files. Will be re configuring them this weekend, and will get the visor printed up. I'm very curious to see how well the visor fits into the main helmet.

Aside from that, will be trying to finalize the main helmet. I forgot to post the last round of pics here last time, but for anybody who didn't see them just check out the build thread, link is in the first post. I'll get some good pics of the progress on Sunday or Monday and post them here.

It's certainly not going to be much longer. The main lid is nearly done and the little parts are coming along just as well. I'll be working at it all weekend, so stay tuned.

29. GhostMinion

Alrighty, a small update here. Been moving along with some of the smaller parts, as well as beginning to finalize the main helmet. A few of the smaller elements are pretty much ready to cast, and a couple of them just need some slight clean up to get them mold ready as well. The parts that are ready are fitting into their respective key slots well. I've also begun cleaning out all the little pilot holes for the rivets. Once I finally get a chance to get some more silicone, I'll start molding up the parts that are ready.

progress 1.jpg progress 2.jpg progress 3.jpg

Still a little seam work to do on the main helmet, and as mentioned, cleaning out pilot depressions. I spent most of last weekend working on cleaning out the detail lines, as well as working further on the cheek areas.

progress 4.jpg progress 5.jpg

A couple of parts are actually being revised. I am going to re print the head lamp assembly, as I made some changes to how the two parts of the head lamp assembly will fit together, basically keying them together so they line up just right. Another part I revised was the lens thingy on the optics bracket. Originally it was set up as one piece, however I separated the actual lens from the piece and printed them separately. The lens part of it is already being casted, but the part the lens fits into still needs a little clean up. You can see below, however, that they fit together well. Overall I think it will look more realistic this way.

progress 6.jpg

Anyways, more to come this weekend. Stay tuned.

30. GhostMinion

Bump for interest.

Working on the visor this week, got it printed and fitted. Will be mastering it this week, getting it ready for casting. I'm going to print the lower hoses this week, and will be moving to get them finished up as well.

The helmet itself is just about ready.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

31. GhostMinion

Bump for interest. Hoping to start making the mold for the main shell in the next two weeks, just waiting until I can afford the silicone. In the meantime I'm working to get the other pieces done. Visor turned out great, will post pics with it and other pieces soon. The wait shouldn't be much longer.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

32. Stormie

Stormie Well-Known Member

I'd love to have a cast, count me in!

33. GhostMinion

34. DarksideYautja

DarksideYautja New Member

Absolutely loving the look of this.

Count me in :)

35. GhostMinion

Got you on the list. :thumbsup

36. GhostMinion

Bump for interest.

Wanted to chime in on where the project is at. Right now I've got several molds made for a bunch of the little parts. I just finally got some more filament for my printer, so I can print the revised head lamp assembly. There's also the hoses still, and two other little parts. My main focus is getting those parts printed, so I can begin mastering them, and more importantly so I can get them fitted to the main helmet. Once I've reached that point, I can begin making the mold for the main helmet.

It is moving slowly, mostly because I'm trying to fund this on my own, so when money is tight, things slow down. But, it is coming along well. This weekend I will pour some casts of the little parts I have and see how that goes.

Anyhow, stay frosty guys. Kits will be coming soon. I'll keep everyone updated and post some more pics when I have something a bit more eye catching. ;)

37. sethhendrix

sethhendrix New Member

Very interested! Please add me to the list!

38. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

count me in

39. GhostMinion

Got you guys down. :thumbsup

40. Mr Walker

Mr Walker Active Member

Still interested. :)

How's it going on this? Too busy playing FO4 to do any more work? I forgive you. :D

GhostMinion likes this.
  41. GhostMinion

No, I'm burnt out on FO4. :p:lol

Things are moving along quite well, actually. Sorry I haven't posted, but things are definitely moving along.

I should be starting to make the jacket mold for the main helmet this week/weekend. I need to attach the headlamp mount before I do. I had hoped to have that done already, but got bogged down this weekend as my pressure pot for casting stopped holding pressure (time to say bye bye to the cheap Harbor Freight pot).

But mold making and casting have begun. Very soon I'll have some major updates and it won't be too long until the run can begin. I'll get together some pics this evening to let everybody see where we're at. :)

Sorry for the delay guys, and thanks for your patience!

Dao2 likes this.
  42. GhostMinion

Bump. As promised, some more pics before I start making the clay base and mixing up the silicone. Will have some more pics of the other pieces soon, as well as updates on the other elements. Enjoy. :)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Dao2 likes this.
  43. Dao2

Dao2 Well-Known Member

Re: Fallout 3 - T-51b Power Armor Helmet from 3d Printed Master***Closed for Now***

any news?

44. GhostMinion

Re: Fallout 3 - T-51b Power Armor Helmet from 3d Printed Master***Closed for Now***

Sorry, didn't realize I didn't post the update here as well. Must have forgot when I updated the build thread.

The news is grim. The helmet was badly damaged during the mold making process. The mold itself was not successful. I screwed it up pretty bad. I've struggled with brush on molds in the past, but never had anything as catastrophic as this.

This was actually some time ago. One of the reasons I mastered my mini nuke print so fast was because I was stewing in rage, and it was something to do to vent that anger. Next thing I knew, I had a mastered mini nuke.

I'm currently setting up my printers to get back in action. I recently received a Form 2 SLA printer, so I needed to rearrange my work room to make space for the new printer. Right now I need to recalibrate the Lulzbot, and then I can get the re print going. Also have been busy doing a run of said mini nukes, never really planned on it but again it just sort of happened.

Obviously, this is going to take a bit of time to recover. The good news is that this does not effect all the smaller parts I'm already casting, so it's not like going back to zero. It'll be a while, though, and until then I'm gonna put this run on hold. I'll be contacting everybody who has stated interest once I have things back in order with this project.

This is indeed not great news, but don't loose hope guys. This helmet will be coming to us. Even if I have to hire someone to make the mold for the helmet shell!

Also, while all of the T-51b stuff is in limbo, keep an eye out on the build thread for upcoming progress on the T-45d helmet.................

45. Dao2

Dao2 Well-Known Member

oof.. *, is it me :( Am I cursed :(? Why did both of the fallout power helmets that I was most looking forward to get ruined while molding :( Glad you're sticking with it though, would love to have a t-51b and at least it's coming! I know this many not work exactly since you still have the small parts but by chance are you going to take this opportunity to go with the F4 version of the t-51 or stick with the F3?

46. GhostMinion

I will be doing both versions of the T-51, both FO3 and FO4. I've been slowly modeling the newer version, it's pretty much done (there's pics somewhere of a render on the build thread). Need to work out hose fittings, things like that. The newer version should go quicker to master, as there is no left "ear" assembly at all, so less parts to make. Also the cheek details are much more shallow on the newer version, so I won't need to spend a couple weeks cleaning them out like the FO3 version.

It does suck, but stuff happens. Like I said, if I have to, I'll hire somebody to do the shell mold. One way or the other, come hell or high water, this is gonna happen.

47. Dao2

Dao2 Well-Known Member

awesome! very cool I'd love to have both :) though I do prefer the f04 a bit ^^ i'll have to go to the build thread and check i tout!

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  48. Mr Walker

Mr Walker Active Member

So, dead in the water?

49. GhostMinion

No sir.

The re print is happening right now, as a matter of fact. And I have found someone I'll be hiring to make the mold for the main shell.

More soon....................

Dao2 likes this.
  50. Mr Walker

Mr Walker Active Member

Well this is indeed good news. I rarely log in here, but I am still MOST interested in a full and finished version.

GhostMinion likes this.