Fallout 3 Sniper Rifle build(s) - Twin Rifles

Jm419

Sr Member
So I was just sitting down one day to enjoy my cheeseburger for lunch at work when a friend of mine stopped by with a few pieces of paper in his hands. He'd found out about my AER9 build, and he wanted to do a build with me; he'd picked out the sniper rifle from Fallout 3. At first, I was like, "that's gonna be a tough build," considering that my AER9 took me the better part of ten months, but he showed me two images that completely changed my tune.

First, he showed me a photo of the rifle, to refresh my memory:

800px-308SNIPERRIFLE.png

Then he showed me this photo of a Nerf LongStrike:

Nerf_N_Strike_Longstrike_CS_6_Dart_Blaster.jpg

And I was in. Just like that. Two days later, we had a Nerf Longstrike.

0224121648.jpg

So we ended up going to the lab and found some spare PVC sitting in a corner. Using our reference images, we counted out the number of barrel vents to cut in our outer barrel, and found an inner barrel which fit flush inside of the outer barrel.

0224121655.jpg

0224121656.jpg

After doing our cutouts, we found that, with a bit of sanding, our outer barrel fit right into the end of the Nerf gun, while still retaining the ability to fire Nerf darts.

downsized_0224121744.jpg

At the end of the day, we had this:

downsized_0224121743.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the middle stages of the build, so I'll just describe what we did.

First, we had to figure out what to do about the scopes. On my rifle, I ended up doing the math and finding the focal length of two lenses I had in my parts bin, which I custom mounted in a PVC based scope. After modifying the scope rail, I mounted the scope directly onto that, as you'll see in a moment.

My partner had his own Nerf scope, which got a quick repaint before being mounted.

The Nerf logos were sanded off the gun, and the stock was locked into place. At that point, the guns were primed in black, then painted using a pattern of spray and overspray of three colors of paint to achieve a gunmetal look. I maintained a more uniform, even coat on my rifle, while my buddy weathered his heavily.

Then, we took some acrylic pipe and masked them to give the appearance of a flash hider. We discovered after a few attempts that cutting the pipe in such a way to create the vents was more trouble than we wanted to deal with, so we just imitated the flash hider vents.

That's basically it. This was a quick and easy build - and it only cost about $45. I'll post that image again of the ingame model, and I'll show you what we came up with.

800px-308SNIPERRIFLE.png

And here are our paired rifles. My rifle, with the custom scope, is in front. His is behind. Both have preserved the inner mechanism, so both still fire Nerf darts.

downsized_0327121602.jpg

downsized_0327121603.jpg

In front of the box to show how far the rifle came. These are some long rifles!

downsized_0327121606a.jpg

downsized_0327121606b.jpg

downsized_0327121606.jpg

Some shots to show the detail on the gun body.

0327121606c.jpg

Our imitation flash hiders.

downsized_0327121608.jpg

So, let us know what you think! It's a quick build if anyone wants to try it, and the product turned out pretty well, we think.

downsized_0327121609.jpg

That's exactly what I said, lol. It's really an easy project, and the results are pretty amazingly close to the ingame model.

Those are some impressive rifles you guys have made. I am also working on a version like that myself and I have a few questions.
1. How long is the barrel of the gun without the endpiece?
2. What size pvc are those?

You dont have to answer but if I had this info it could really help me with my sniper rifle build. Anyway nice Snipers. Now if I can just make one myself....

:thumbsup

Hey now, of course I'm going to answer. You made your first post ever in my thread, and that's quite the honor.

24" barrel without the flash hider.

PVC is 1" outer barrel and 3/4" inner.

Thanks for your comment. :)

Its always nice to build a prop for low budget. But its also fun building it from scratch as well...

But when your trying to survive in the wastes, it's nice to hunt your meals,
and in those times...

"War never changes."

Yeah, I'm doing ok. I miss auto health recovery from waiting an hour, but so far the water/food thing isn't bothering me much.

Hey, happy to help. I'll be happy to give out any tips you need, and I have the front rifle in front of me right now. :) I was just about to link you over here.

Nice work man, it always suprises me how people here can reimagine a toy make it more awesome but still keep it working as before. Somewhere a nerf toy maker has to go like "damn I could have made that instead of the original model?" :D

How's the shooting on this baby by the way? Longer range, shorter, about the same? Does the pvc pipe make darts jam in any way?

It's slightly less long range than before. We could have modified the internals to add a heavier spring, but we didn't have much time. The barrel is removable for transport purposes, so if it's not aligned properly, it doesn't fire quite right. The darts rarely jam, but if they do, it's easy enough to realign the barrel.

It's slightly less long range than before. We could have modified the internals to add a heavier spring, but we didn't have much time. The barrel is removable for transport purposes, so if it's not aligned properly, it doesn't fire quite right. The darts rarely jam, but if they do, it's easy enough to realign the barrel.

Good to know, with a little work you could make for an interesting fallout themed gun fight then? :D Very good to know indeed! Anyways excellent work!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back