Fallout 3 power armor helmet!! Finished shots 21/03/15!

unorthodoxdesig

Hello All!
A year or two back I did a fallout 3 plasma rifle... This will be an accompanyment to that project (although if I go full armor suit I'm going to integrate the weaponry into the suits forearms)...

This helmet will be based on a piece of concept art by Trufanov on Deviant art... So full credits to him for the original concept!
war_by_trufanov-d32i21e.jpghttp://trufanov.deviantart.com/

As of now I have a plaster cast of my head and I will start sculpting over it with automotive clay... Get the base form, cast, detail and break into parts, recast, electronics, paint.. BOO YAA!

I don't have my camera right now but expect pics in the next few days.

In the meantime, feel free to check out the plasma rifle!

http://www.therpf.com/f9/feedback-w...ished-plus-pro-photo-shoot-first-post-137100/

or my website

www.unorthodoxdesign.ca

Cheers! Thanks for being awesome RPFers!

Last edited:
Re: FALLOUT 3 POWER ARMOR HELMET (and eventual full armor set perhaps?)

OKAY!! First update! YAAAY!

Still very rough.. But the head cast is done and the form is taking shape!

IMG_4816.JPGIMG_4829.JPGIMG_4830.JPGIMG_4834.JPGIMG_4835.JPGIMG_4840.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the crappy iPad pics...I need to stage them more like Volpin!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the crappy iPad pics...I need to stage them more like Volpin!

Okay! Update! Most of the armor plates are roughed out... I've done the first pass of form cleaning and definition... Going to fill in the voids to clean it up a bit more than work on improving symmetry. The final step of the first cast will be scribing panel and join lines (easier to do subtractive work in clay vs the cast).

Enjoy!

IMG_4852.JPGIMG_4855.JPGIMG_4857.JPG

I think this will have to be a 3 piece mold... 2 side halves and a plug part for the recess in the back. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

New update! Almost ready for the initial form mold. Panel lines are beginning to be scribed. I'm going to clean them up more once I get the hard cast... I've decided I'm definitely better at thermoforming plastic than Y2-Klay. More practice is needed...
IMG_4871.JPGIMG_4872.JPG

Original line drawing with facial silhouette... The dimensions/angles have changed slightly. I'm now almost done the silicon mold.. Just 1 more layer needs to set then I can make the plaster jacket and get the slush cast form done... EXCITING!
1265446_523382311089580_2134697749_o.jpg

Yay!! My first 3-piece mold worked out pretty well! I'm definitely going with fiberglass for the final master mold jackets.. I think plaster is better suited for smaller pieces...
This means I'll be starting the detailing process soon! Yay finally the fun part!

aaIMG_4908.JPGaaIMG_4903.JPGaaIMG_4915.JPGaaIMG_4916.JPGaaIMG_4918.JPGaaIMG_4925.JPGaaIMG_4928.JPGaaIMG_4929.JPG

This is really cool. I love that you're making a fallout helmet not actually featured in game. Can't wait to see what you're going to do with the details.

That's a sick looking build. The power armor concept is amazing and I'm glad you dug it up.

That's a sick looking build. The power armor concept is amazing and I'm glad you dug it up.
No kidding, some of the ones you can find are down right amazing.
Cant wait to see more of this one take shape.

NOTE TO EVERYONE..

--NEVER-- CUT SMOOTHCAST 60 WITH A HIGH SPEED DREMEL WHEEL WITHOUT ---FRESH--- ORGANIC VAPOR CARTRIDGES IN YOUR RESPIRATOR.. IF THEY ARE OLD THE WON'T FULLY HANDLE THE SMOKE AND YOU ONLY HAVE 1 PAIR OF LUNGS. LESSON LEARNED.

- - - Updated - - -

Cut up the cast for cleanup/detailing/fitting my head into it. More pics tonight!

Last edited:

Looks great, loving the originality of the concept. I'm sure the end result will be fantastic!

SORRY for the delay in updates! Been working away! I've cut everything up and am now detailing.. I think next time if I had more time i'd do a lot more cleaning and planning of the original form as to where the join lines of the different parts would be. Definitely going to make this work.. Just a lot more cleanup than I would have liked!

aIMG_4936.JPGaIMG_4939.JPGaIMG_4946.JPGaIMG_4958.JPGaIMG_4960.JPGaIMG_4961.JPGaIMG_4968.JPGaIMG_4970.JPGaIMG_4971.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

PIRATE- BTW Love your exoskeleton build! I have a 3d printer and was considering doing it that way.. I think That will be my plan for next time, This was a good skills-building exercise though!

It's amazing how a little bit of filler primer and detail can make some of the flaws recede into the background. This has to be done by friday, and the bottom component is still looking pretty rough. May concentrate on the top and just add the originals of the sides in until I can mold them as well. (I rotocasted this original which resulted in an inconsitent wall thickness). I'm guessing for best results rotocastong is done with a proper automated spinning rig and a sealed mold for best reults with even wall thickness.

aIMG_4987.JPGaIMG_4989.JPGaIMG_4992.JPGaIMG_4994.JPGaIMG_5001.JPG

Rebuilt inmterior wall thickness. This was importalt to allow the thicker rotocast resin I'm using to flow through the hollow of the mold versus a low viscosity pour into a very thin-walled clamshell mold.

Last edited:

Looking great, the concept is getting realized :)

Didn't know your deadline was so tight, that's going to limit how much detail you can put in. Good luck!

Yeah I literally have until Friday afternoon! I've basically cut out the bottom component around my neck.. No time.. I'm going to finish cleaning and detailing the pieces tonight, most of the add-on components are done. Going to make molds of the 3 main top pieces and use casts for the final version I'm going to bring on friday. The tomorrow.. Clean, paint, electronics, lenses, etc etc... Should be an eventful 48 hours!
Here's me wearing it... Visibility is actually pretty decent!

AIMG_5005.JPGAIMG_5008.JPGAIMG_5009.JPG

After Comicon I will probably complete the bottom, and then make a more detailed version (especially the eye pieces... I want to either use EL panels or edge-lit acrylic.. Hmmmm....

The holes along the bottom edge are recesses to put allen key screws for some of that metal bit detailing.. Going to have quite a few pipes and hoses too!

Okay! I'm done all the detail pieces.. I think.. Beyond these pictures I just need a few small detail bits and some paint and LED's and I should be ready for Friday!

aIMG_5015.JPGaIMG_5018.JPGaIMG_5019.JPGaIMG_5029.JPG

ALRIGHT! Night before due date.. It's about 95% now.. Just need some final screws, elastic joiner for the front and back halves, tubes, and the final eye piece. Blue LED 'headlights' installed in the face mask part.
Enjoy!

aIMG_5064.JPGaIMG_5057.JPGaIMG_5035.JPGaIMG_5036.JPGaIMG_5047.JPGaIMG_5053.JPGaIMG_5055.JPGaIMG_5059.JPGaIMG_5062.JPGaIMG_5042.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

In other news I am using all originals this weekend.. Let's hope nothing breaks!!! (Still have to make production molds)

Also, I got help from my mom sewing the neck guard/under-hood. 'Props' to you mom!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back