fallout 3 metal power armor build

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by kingpookey, Jul 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

hay guys jessi hear from Gold Point Props, started working on making my metal power armor a couple of weeks ago. I'm using a combination of 20 gage an 18 gage sheet metal to make the armor. most of the armor will be made out of 20 gage sheet metal to cut down on weight. the helmet is pretty much dun, it is made out of 20 gage and it weighs 5 1/2 pounds so I estimate the full suit of armor will weigh about 50 too 60 pounds. here are some pics of the helmet
    IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2168.JPG IMG_2169.JPG IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2182.JPG IMG_2191.JPG IMG_2204.JPG IMG_2206.JPG IMG_2210.JPG IMG_2212.JPG IMG_2230.JPG IMG_2228.JPG IMG_2244.JPG IMG_2241.JPG IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2238.JPG IMG_2239.JPG IMG_2237.JPG IMG_2247.JPG just need to order some gas mask hoses to finish it off.

Nikolaus, Dao2, tomvdc and 2 others like this.
  2. gothic

gothic Sr Member

looks cool, and its sheet metal so extra cool :cool look forward to the rest of the suit

kingpookey likes this.
  3. Uridium

Uridium Well-Known Member

That is amazing. Great work!

kingpookey likes this.
  4. Grimwood

Grimwood Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I admire your dedication! That's a lot of weight to carry around but I think if you come up with some sort good harness system, that 50-60 lbs will feel like 55lbs. :)

Seriously cool tho.

kingpookey likes this.
  5. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

That's pretty cool! If you can figure out how to minimize the weight, the only other problem would be not cooking inside of it!

kingpookey likes this.
  6. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

it shouldn't be that warm because i'm going to be wearing a Cooling Shirt and cap on under the armor that will be circulating cold water through toobs in the shirt and cap to keep me cool. the weight is my main concern. but I knew from the beginning it was going to be a bit on the heavy side, its a metal suit of power armor after all....lol:)

Grimwood likes this.
  7. Sluis Van Shipyards

Hey just build that power armor support thing they had them hanging on in Operation Anchorage. Then have someone roll you around. :lol

8. Ein

Ein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is the coolest and most impractical thing I have seen all day. I love it, and I want one.

Grimwood and Override like this.
  9. Override

Override Active Member

The Steel Brotherhood would be proud! Subscribed

10. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

i started working on the suit of power armors upper chest plate today. hear some pics of what I got done so far. IMG_2270.JPG IMG_2271.JPG IMG_2272.JPG IMG_2273.JPG IMG_2274.JPG

CLOTHAR likes this.
  11. WA5TE

WA5TE New Member

This is ****ing awesome!!!! A real paladin!!

12. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

did some more work on the power armor today i got the front and back of the upper armor tack welded together.
    . IMG_2294.JPG IMG_2295.JPG IMG_2298.JPG IMG_2305.JPG IMG_2310.JPG IMG_2311.JPG

13. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

More progress done on the power armor, tack welded on the sides and added a lip on the bottom edge.
    IMG_2337.JPG IMG_2339.JPG

14. Turtlespoon

Turtlespoon New Member

This is nuts. My brain is saying "Nope. Impossible." and yet I'm seeing pictures of it being built right before my eyes. Kudos.

Very impressive work.

kingpookey likes this.
  15. CLOTHAR

CLOTHAR Active Member

This is glorious! Is this your first time doing metal armour?

kingpookey likes this.
  16. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

yes this is my first time making a full suit of armor but i have made armor pieces and helmets in the past.

CLOTHAR likes this.
  17. Seeker9817

Seeker9817 New Member

Gnarly! this is an awesome build, been waiting to see if someone made a metal suit. awesome progress so far!

kingpookey likes this.
  18. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

the chest armor is almost done just need to finish welding it up and grind the welds smooth.
    IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0023.JPG

EmmaInCandyland, Nikolaus and CLOTHAR like this.
  19. Turtlespoon

Turtlespoon New Member

Are you going to hinge or seperate the front/back plate? It's going to be hard to put on otherwise.

kingpookey likes this.
  20. VaultDweller

VaultDweller New Member

Wow this looks amazing so far! Keep up the good work!

kingpookey likes this.
  21. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

[h=2]yes the front half will be removable like this gd.jpg it will come a part across the neck opening and both arm openings and the back will have straps like a backpack. the front will simply clip on to the back half.[/h]

22. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

I decided not to make the front come off because the latch's I was going to use were to thick to go where it needed to latch so instead I just have the right side come off. IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0050.JPG it will be held on by 4 screws.

23. Darktriumph

Darktriumph New Member

That metal helmet adds +2 to charisma when your desk is equipped with it.

24. Turtlespoon

Turtlespoon New Member

Smart thinking with the chest piece. Mine also works in the same way with two armpit-plates that are secured with plastic clips.

Do you think you'll paint it? Or will you leave the metal finish and just add weathering? Either way it's looking good so far mate.

kingpookey likes this.
  25. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

You wouldn't need a latch to secure that chestplate. With the metal being so light, you could use a few carefully placed neodymium magnets. Would also make it easier to pull off if you had heat issues.

Vaultboy111 likes this.
  26. peacefulBluez

peacefulBluez New Member

Amazing work

27. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

I'm probably going to paint is using the powder coating method to give it a nice thick layer of paint so I can add scratches, chips and scrapes to the armor.

28. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

i did some more work on the power armor today get the cod peace and the fission pack done.
    IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0098.JPG

29. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

You should add a hinge to the Cod, for err.......waste disposal............or something.:$

kingpookey likes this.
  30. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

got some more work done on the metal power armor today. i finish the right Thigh IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0254.JPG IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0262.JPG

31. CLOTHAR

CLOTHAR Active Member

Excellent work. I would love to try this one day. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out!

32. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

i made a smelting furnace a few weeks ago so i decided to cast some parts of the armor out of aluminum. I made the hinge bracket and the outer ring that holds the shoulder armor on and the small term wheel for the back of the armor. IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0444.JPG IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0482.JPG

Attached Files:

CLOTHAR likes this.
  33. zapwizard

zapwizard Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have to say I have massive respect for this project.

Will the end result even be wearable (due to weight), or is this for a standing display.

34. CLOTHAR

CLOTHAR Active Member

Nice work on the cast parts!

35. Frozen

Frozen Member

Should be no problem for someone who is physically fit, and used to it.
    I do full contact fighting in real plate armor. Its about the same weight.

36. Sluis Van Shipyards

That looks pretty cool! You should do a video on casting aluminum.

37. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

yes this armor is being made to be wearable i've been making the armor using 20 gage sheet metal to cut down on weight. so it should weigh as much as a suit of armor win it is finished.

38. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

I did more work on the power armor today started making the shoulder pad armor hears what they look like so far.
    IMG_0509.JPG . IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0532.JPG IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0535.JPG IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0539.JPG IMG_0540.JPG

CLOTHAR likes this.
  39. guitarpirate

guitarpirate Active Member

The helmet is starting to look very nice with that weather or prime layer (I assume you used some kind of brown putty to smooth it out and sanded).

Amazing build, the level of detail is very satisfying.

40. KenFrost

KenFrost New Member

I am amazed that you are making it out of metal. it has gotta be super heavy to wear.

41. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

no primer or putty is still in raw metal, its just a layer of rust because i sandblasted it a few weeks ago and is been sitting in the back of the shop next to a open window

42. kingpookey

kingpookey New Member

yes it will be a little heavy but i'm not too worried it should way about 80 to 90 pounds win it is finished about the same as a suit of armor. the lower half of the armor from the thighs to the boots will be self supporting so you'll only fill the weight of the lower armor when you are walking not standing.

43. DizzyStrmtroopr

DizzyStrmtroopr Well-Known Member

was this ever finished?