Fallout 3 costumes - It has begun!

Satxer

Sr Member
So, with my new Pip-boy WIP, I realized that I need to figure out a costume to go with it from Fallout 3. Here is the issue, I realize that the 101 jumpsuit style and maybe Brotherhood armor would be most recognizable, but what else could you do? I know that there are plenty of combinations in game, but it comes back down to recognition. So, would people be able to recognize someone in say: Combat armor, or even Raider armor just as easily, as long as you have your Pip-Boy on hand?

While I like the 101 suit, it just seems like that is what everyone does. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Re: Fallout 3 costumes

Well, the idea came down to the fact that you: "The kid from Vault 101", wander the wasteland, and aren't expected to just wear the 101 jumpsuit. I questioned if I should do something less common.

I've been having this same conversation with myself. Basically, once I got the chance in game to get better gear, I dumped the Vault Suit. Even looking at now, who is going to wander the wasteland just wearing a vault suit? Even saying that, I've come to down to two choices really: the armored vault suit, or the leather armor. While the Vault Suit is more recognizable as Fallout, the leather armor is "classic" post-apocalyptic. Even the concept art for Fallout 3 references it as "the classic." Now, actually to answer your question: if your Pip Boy is prominent on your arm (as all Pip Boys should be) then anyone with a clue about Fallout will recognize the costume. Anyone who DOESN'T know the Pip Boy is probably unlikely to recognize the Vault Suit either. I would say as long as the Pip Boy is done well, people will recognize the costume regardless of which outfit you wear with it.

Charlie

i had the same problem but did not want to put in the effort of making power armour so i made a brother hood of steel scribe costume and it looks great and was good because a lot of people did the power armour but i have never seen any one do it so i hope that helps on thinking out side the box

Pip-boy will for sure be on my arm, as well as playing the GNR station while I walk around. While I would like to work on either BoS armor, or Enclave armor, I see that being a pain to mess with. Not to mention, it isn't stormtrooper armor that you can put into a smaller bin. I almost want to gander at the Ranger armor from Rileys Rangers. Or even Talon armor. Because that armor is mainly a chest armor that I can recall.

I went as a blastmaster raider last year. It was a super easy costume to make. The hardest part was finding a small, skinny tire I could cut in half.

Luckily there is plenty of stuff in the Fallout history you can use and if you have one of the Fallout 3 art books there is tons of pics of stuff that didn't get used such as a eyebot helmet. Plus you have the always popular madmax style armor, the armored vault suit, and actually you could probably throw together stuff that isn't in the game as folks wouldn't be picky about clothes. They all dress alike in the games to save design time.

As long as you have the Pip Boy, get some Hugh Hefner style pajamas and goes as the kid from Vault 101 in Sexy Sleepwear! Then hit on all the women and insist you have the Lady Killer perk so they have to listen to you. :lol ;) Seriously that would be an easy and funny costume.

such as a eyebot helmet.

Actually, there is an Eyebot Helmet. You can attain it in the sewers between the Purifier and BoS compound during the mission

As long as you have the Pip Boy, get some Hugh Hefner style pajamas and goes as the kid from Vault 101 in Sexy Sleepwear! Then hit on all the women and insist you have the Lady Killer perk so they have to listen to you. :lol ;) Seriously that would be an easy and funny costume.

Trust me, that is going through my head, maybe as a night costume while my day one is an armored. That Lady Killer perk idea is gold...

Just make sure they're 50s style PJs since fashion never evolved lol.

I never fully understood that, it was almost like, sometime in the mid 21st, they decided to go retro. Clothes, commercials, magazines, all that stuff.

I'm personally a fan of the Armored Vault Jumpsuit. It combines the recognition of the 101 suit with the functionality of added pockets (great for storing smaller props like stimpacks or buffout) and generally looks a little more bad-a$$.

I never fully understood that, it was almost like, sometime in the mid 21st, they decided to go retro. Clothes, commercials, magazines, all that stuff.

The Fallout universe has a divergent timeline shortly after WWII. The world never the "brave new world" mindset of the 1950s. Technology developed differently as well, the microchip was never invented and nuclear power was pushed to extremely great lengths. The art style in game reflects this beautifully.

I'd like to do the Armored Vault suit. But what I'd like to do is find something that already exists, then modify it. I was actually thinking about doing two, the Armored Vault 101 suit from Fallout 3, and the Armored Vault 13 suit from the Classic Pack you get when you pre-order Fallout New Vegas.

Well if you don't want to do the power armor or raider thing you have some other choices

- Tunnel snakes: My personal favorite if you want to do the vault thing without the cliche vault suit. This is the adapted badass motorgang vault suit. Instant recognition by anyone who knows about fallout.

- The courier outfit: if going for a fallout new vegas outfit.

- NCR trooper armor or Legion torch barrer thingie (the guys with the banner on their back)

- Trader outfit (easy + as a player you're practicly a walking store after an hour looting)

That's pretty much it. Combat armor is not all that recognizable since it's combat armor that could have as easily been used in our time. Also I get the "nobody in their right mind stays in their vault suit" but did you see those NPC's? All those guys stay in normal lightweight clothes that don't even protect you from the sun! Even the traders who go out in the barren wasteland risking their lives just to get you your nuka cola are ill protected!

I'd say go with what feels right. Honestly my outfit would be an armored vault 13 suit. Sure it's cliche but still it's something I'd like to have and own. Plus you can make it look more individual with some cool headwear and an awesome weapon (like a nuke launcher!)

I'm gonna go with a costume from 3, as I based my Pipboy off of 3, and will have my GNR playing with it...oh, and I did get it closer to finished...

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

My camera wasn't liking the light on for the first pic, so I turned it off and changed the setting so you can see what the screen is, as I put in my own character screen.

That always seemed to be the best part of Fallout cosplay to me, whatever you can think of is probably ok to use. As long as it's post-apocalyptic you're fine. Go crazy, as long as you've got the Pip-Boy people will know what you're supposed to be from.

I kinda figured as much. That is the key item to it. With the music as an added feature, I am sure people will know what I am.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back