Fallout 3 AER9 Laser Rifle Build Thread - FINISHED

Re: Fallout AER9 Laser Rifle Build Thread

Update, but no pics. Got some silicone ordered for making copies of these, which ought to be nice.

We poured a bunch of silicone on this. It's also bright orange, thanks to the demolder. Casts by the end of the week (expected).

Same here. It'll be interesting.

So the plan is to let her dry all day tomorrow, and demold on Wednesday, clean it up, then mold the other side. Still several hours of work to do, but it'll be worth it.

All right folks, here's the last update for you all.

I got the rifle back from the casting process in many, many pieces. I had to rebuild virtually the whole beard section, reattach the stock, and redo the trigger assembly and action pieces, as well as clean little bits of silicone out of the rifle itself. In any case, I got it back together, and it's finally finished - 280 days after the first update was posted.

So, here you are, for your viewing pleasure. These are the outside "atmosphere" shots, and I've included a few glamor shots as well. Let me know what you think!

downsized_1001111721.jpg

Firstly, a tribute to Ryan Palser and to Volpin, the two sources of my inspiration for this build and both of whom I've communicated with about this build. This photo - or one very similar to it - appears in both their build logs, and I thought I should have one as well.

downsized_1001111721a.jpg

downsized_1001111722.jpg

Alongside a red wagon which has been in the elements for years.

downsized_1001111722a.jpg

Now, on to the glams:

Photoon2011-10-01at17122.jpg

Photoon2011-10-01at17162.jpg

A few overall shots.

Photoon2011-10-01at17132.jpg

A look at the trigger assembly and action.

Photoon2011-10-01at17142.jpg

The last sight of many a Super Mutant.

Photoon2011-10-01at17133.jpg

Weathering. I didn't actually do much intentional weathering to this. If you compare this to my last photo update, you can see that much of the original paintwork is actually intact; but much of the silver paint was damaged in the molding process; I just left it and called it weathering. It's actually pretty believable in person; this thing looks like it's been around for a few years.

Photoon2011-10-01at1715.jpg

If you can read this, then Photobucket has oriented my photos properly. If not, fear not; they'll be fixed soon. This was actually a lucky find on Volpin's photostream, and I just got it printed out on a vinyl sticker. Yeah, the colors are a little off, but I think it completes the look of the rifle nicely.

Thanks for watching, folks. I'm pretty proud of this build, and I'm glad it's finally finished. This is, to date, my most labor intensive project, and I still stand back and think, "Wow, I made that." It'll be a centerpiece in my collection for years to come, and the most satisfying part of it is knowing that I made it with my own two hands.

That looks mighty fine! I wanted to make mine out of mdf, but I am not confident with my wood working skills. I made my AER14 prototype laser rifle out of foam core, fomies and various doo-dads. It is not finished yet, it still needs the trigger assembly, MF cell, MF cell release lever and weathering. As for the Gatling laser that someone suggested, I made one as well as the Electron Charge pack(out of foamcare and foamies) and the Outcast power armor.
316092_1980999454554_1530238428_31564169_752124107_n.jpg

36019_1298410910267_1530238428_30614556_6071438_n.jpg

Picture204.jpg

I am in no way trying to hijack, just wanted to show you what I have. Keep up the great work!

Hey, man, those are AWESOME! I so want a T-45 helmet, but I'm afraid I don't have the skill. Yours is the first AER14 I've seen - top notch work, if you ask me. Your armor is excellent, and the Gatling laser just adds to it! I've seen your stuff before, but I'm glad you honor my thread with your work!

Just moving this onto the new page. It's the last post on page 5, so I think people may have missed it.

All right folks, here's the last update for you all.

I got the rifle back from the casting process in many, many pieces. I had to rebuild virtually the whole beard section, reattach the stock, and redo the trigger assembly and action pieces, as well as clean little bits of silicone out of the rifle itself. In any case, I got it back together, and it's finally finished - 280 days after the first update was posted.

So, here you are, for your viewing pleasure. These are the outside "atmosphere" shots, and I've included a few glamor shots as well. Let me know what you think!

downsized_1001111721.jpg

Firstly, a tribute to Ryan Palser and to Volpin, the two sources of my inspiration for this build and both of whom I've communicated with about this build. This photo - or one very similar to it - appears in both their build logs, and I thought I should have one as well.

downsized_1001111721a.jpg

downsized_1001111722.jpg

Alongside a red wagon which has been in the elements for years.

downsized_1001111722a.jpg

Now, on to the glams:

Photoon2011-10-01at17122.jpg

A few overall shots.

Photoon2011-10-01at17132.jpg

A look at the trigger assembly and action.

Photoon2011-10-01at17142.jpg

The last sight of many a Super Mutant.

Photoon2011-10-01at17133.jpg

Weathering. I didn't actually do much intentional weathering to this. If you compare this to my last photo update, you can see that much of the original paintwork is actually intact; but much of the silver paint was damaged in the molding process; I just left it and called it weathering. It's actually pretty believable in person; this thing looks like it's been around for a few years.

Photoon2011-10-01at1715.jpg

If you can read this, then Photobucket has oriented my photos properly. If not, fear not; they'll be fixed soon. This was actually a lucky find on Volpin's photostream, and I just got it printed out on a vinyl sticker. Yeah, the colors are a little off, but I think it completes the look of the rifle nicely.

Thanks for watching, folks. I'm pretty proud of this build, and I'm glad it's finally finished. This is, to date, my most labor intensive project, and I still stand back and think, "Wow, I made that." It'll be a centerpiece in my collection for years to come, and the most satisfying part of it is knowing that I made it with my own two hands.

I see the photos are now oriented properly.

Thanks to everyone who stuck with me on this build; it was a lot of fun to work on this, and to read what you had to say. I'm glad I'm a part of this community; without the RPF, this never would have been made. And boy am I glad it was.

Wow... love this! I just did a Nerf gun mod with PIP-Pad prop (my first non Nerf / blaster prop) so this is right up my street!

Fallout is such an awesome universe and that is an awesome rifle!

That is quite a compliment, Haruspex. And I really enjoy the universe too, Nerf, so why not join in?

Thanks for your comments, guys.

Actually i allready did. I finished an T51 B Helmet with a twist

I'm working on a T45 D Armor. As a Tribute to Fallout 2 i am bringing an vindicator Minigun to life :D

Just saw your post now, Haruspex. Sorry for the late reply: That sounds neat! T-51 with a twist, eh? Got any photos?

Looking back, I have to say this is the build I'm proudest of. Though I have a lot of other, smaller stuff off the boards, this is the cream of the crop on my end. I still look at it every day, and say, "Wow, I made that. That's pretty amazing. I can't believe I did it."

Moral of the story; if you're not sure about starting something, do it! Worst that can happen is you don't finish it, right? I'm glad I built this, and I'm proud to hang it on my wall.

Thanks, bud.

All the new AER9 builds made me go take a look at mine... and I figured it could use some work.

I made a new, more accurate Microfusion Cell:

0402122024a.jpg

0402122024.jpg

So this one is a bit closer to ingame. Still need to figure out how to put the decals on it, but that's a project for another day.

In related news, the Fire Department just burned a house down nearby. They do that every once in a while, and since the houses in my neighborhood were built in the late sixties, some of the more poorly maintained houses are being condemned. The Fire Department buys these houses to train in new firefighters in a real environment, so after a few practice fires, they just burn it to the ground.

They just did one in walking distance of my house, so I figured, "Hey, why not go take some post-apocalyptic atmosphere shots?" So I did. Take a look:

downsized_0417121813a.jpg

downsized_0417121813b.jpg

You can probably tell I gave it a quick repaint. When I did my Sniper Rifle build, I found some rattle-can paint that mimics hammered metal well, and because I was getting less and less impressed with my weathering job, I repainted. It looks better, IMO, but I have to look at it for six months and decide whether I'm happy with it. I'm notoriously bad at painting, so we'll see.

Anyway, here are some beauty shots to take a look at.

downsized_0417121814.jpg

downsized_0417121814a.jpg

downsized_0417121814b.jpg

Found the remains of a bathroom, I think, or maybe a laundry room. It had a sink and a radiator in it, so I took some shots with both.

downsized_0417121817.jpg

downsized_0417121820.jpg

I really like this shot:

downsized_0417121825.jpg

I've still got some work to do. I'm going to remake the reloading action out of sheet metal at school, and it ought to not break off freakin' four hundred times, like the old lever. You can see it's not attached on these photos.

I guess a project isn't ever really done, huh?

I know I'm a little late, but browsing online for blueprints to make one of these, I came accross this. It's pure awesome. I'm making a movie on Fallout and that includes the weapons. My biggest challenge is making them. I'm going to be making:
-AER9
-Combat Shotgun(s)
-"Fisto!"
-Stimpaks
-Grenades
-Landmines
-Pip Boy 3000
-T-45D Armor

If you could, I may need tips on how to make these things, for I want to get them done as they will be VERY time consuming.

Anyway your AER9 Looks great and keep up the good work!

Hey pal;

Yeah, I'm happy to answer whatever questions you may have. I'm honored that you like my build so much; it was a lot of fun for me, and I enjoy it every day; it's on its plaque in my bedroom right now.

Ask away. If this thread becomes a resource for others, so much the better. ;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back