Falling asleep in theaters, during even the worst films.

I fall asleep all the time, when I'm forced to take the kids and we watch something godawful like...Diary of a Wimpy Kid...Scooby Doo...Alvin and the Chipmunks....the list goes ever on!! And it becomes an expensive nap, too!!

I can't sit through five minutes of the Planetarium at Chabot Observatory...just having the reclined seats and staring up at the ceiling, and they turn the lights down slowly...I've tried twice and fallen asleep hard. Hopefully I didn't snore. I happened to be one of the chaperones both times.

I've fallen asleep in a movie theater several times for various reasons--fatigue, lack of sleep, boredom, prescription meds (though that only happened once). It is what it is; sometimes your body decides it's time to shut down and there's nothing you can do about it.

On a related note, I've never seen Apocalypse Now start to finish without falling asleep somewhere along the way; I have seen the entire movie, just not in one sitting. I like the movie and find it interesting, so it's not boredom (except for that horrid Redux version), but something about the movie puts my out every time and I have no idea why.

Fell asleep during Independence Day. Woke up a few times to loud explosions. Nodded right back off again.

Had to rewatch it on video to see what i missed.

I remember my Dad took me to see Star wars for my birthday and fell asleep,i was only 8 and i could'nt understand.About 20 0dd years later my Mum told me that my Dad had been mugged by 2 scumbags and had spent all night seeing friends to borrow money so i could have a good birthday.

Wish i could meet those scumbag now i'm all growed up

The 1990's Batman movies always seemed to be on around the time that I was working nights, so for each of them I went in with the best intensions to watch the feature and each and every time, I fell asleep.

Having thought about it, I do remember being bored rigid during Batman and Robin, so bored in fact that I found myself counting all the bricks and tiles in the theatre, then I took some sollace in that a wasp stung me on the arm about 20 minutes in. That was about as exciting as it got for me, and I still fell asleep.

It wasn't until many years later that I finally got to see each of the films, though with that last few installments, I really wish I hadn't bothered.

Holluba

Last edited:
LOTR: ROTK. For the longest time, even on DVD, that film put me to sleep. Far too drawn out, a lot of unnecessary crap and I was tired. I hate going to the movies during the week after work, but that film is the only one I have ever fallen asleep through.

My friend told me he fell asleep during Dark of the Moon. Not sure how though with all that noise going on.

I don't think I have ever fell asleep during a movie at the cinema.

Other than when I was a lot younger and occasionaly passed out in a theater from intoxication (loooong time ago), the only movie I have fallen asleep in was Transformers. Worst movie I have ever seen.

I'll echo the boredom thing, or you could say I simply tuned out because of my sheer disgust and I was too lazy to get up and leave. Only happened twice...first time during the Phantom Menace and the other time...Matrix Revolutions.

I saw GI Joe with a friend and his 12 year old son at like 11pm. I had been up most of the night before and the movie just could not keep me awake.

I've started to fall asleep recently during the midnight screenings....sigh....
It's a combination of being tired and possibly eating before going out.
Back when I was a toker, I would usually be able to stay awake, but then it just ended up making me soooo tired so I gave it up, but even still, sometimes I just cant keep myself awake.
Saw the first twenty minutes of the new Pirates and woke up during the last few minutes. I was upset with myself.

How is the possible unless you are
A. Already tired before going to see the film.
B. Decide to actually take a nap during the film.

I've seen some really crappy movies, but I don't understand how people fall asleep during a film unless they are either tired, or just decide to fall asleep because they don't like the film.

No movie I have ever seen in a theater has bored me enough to make me want to fall asleep. If it's that bad, why aren't you getting up and asking for your cash back?

Help me out here. How is this possible, excluding the reasons I've already mentioned?

You've clearly never had to take a four year old to something like Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. :p

The only time I fell asleep at the theatre was when my parents took me to see A New Hope. But then again, I was only 3.

I've never fallen asleep during a movie, but I have to admit that I kind of admire the people who can. If they can sleep through a movie they must be pretty hard sleepers. Unlike me, who wakes up at even the slightest noise. Ugh...

I almost fell asleep when I went to see "Tree of Life" a few weeks ago. I was avoiding almost every movie in the cinema so seeing a movie that's been getting such great reviews sounded promising. Holy god, was this movie trying to put me to sleep. It wasn't that it was boring. I can sit through Star Trek: The Motion Picture "Special Longer Edition" with a smile on my face, at night and still be wide awake. But Tree of Life? I couldn't get over how much I was yawning during the film. It had incredibly long shots of this orange water substance with soothing sound effects that I almost wanted to fade out right there. Once I told myself that this movie was the "Ultimate in Daddy Issue Horror!", I was able to keep myself awake. The only bad part about that is when you're trying to stay awake, the movie feels longer. A lot longer. The whole experienced ended up being a lose-lose situation for me in the end since nothing happens in the ending to this movie, and going to sleep would have yielded the same results. I just didn't feel like taking a chance and waking up not knowing what happened, or worse, not knowing what movie I came to see in the first place.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back