Falling asleep in theaters, during even the worst films.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
How is the possible unless you are
A. Already tired before going to see the film.
B. Decide to actually take a nap during the film.

I've seen some really crappy movies, but I don't understand how people fall asleep during a film unless they are either tired, or just decide to fall asleep because they don't like the film.

No movie I have ever seen in a theater has bored me enough to make me want to fall asleep. If it's that bad, why aren't you getting up and asking for your cash back?

Help me out here. How is this possible, excluding the reasons I've already mentioned?

utter boredom usually for me. My friend was dying to see lord of the rings when it came out and I just couldnt handle it. Id rather watch grass grow than one of those terribly dull movies after trying to sit through the first. Luckly I fell asleep but some kids playing in the aisles kept running by and waking me up.

Also feel alseep during dates while seeing Robots, Men Who Stare at Goats, TPM/AOTC/ROTS, Crystal Skull, A Team, Iron Man 1 & 2 and many others. Glad movie passes are free.

I've only fallen asleep once, I was at 'Clear and Present Danger' and it was a mix of a boring, slow, quiet part of the film and me staying up late the night before and only getting a few hours sleep.

I was only asleep for about 5 minutes, woke up and stayed awake for the rest of the movie. I remember not feeling tired at all going in, but an hour sitting not moving in a dark warm theater snuck up on me big time.

The only time I fall asleep during movies is at the drive in. But most of the people who go to the drive in around my area don't go to see the movie anyway.

I work insane hours so if a movie is bad or its me going with my kids to a "kids" movie I tend to nod in & out but never full out asleep.

The only movie I ever fell asleep during was The Firm with Tom Cruise. This happened in the infamous "Summer of the Nymphomaniac" so I had good reason to be tired. :thumbsup

i fell asleep on lord of the rings - i loathed it, i also fell aslepp watching the fugitive - i was tired and at the time it was on i couldnt keep my eyes open due to tiredness

I fell asleep only once, at a Pokemon movie. I was with my son who woke me up so I wouldn't miss anything. It had never happened before or since.

I can only recall falling asleep once in a movie theater. It was the first X-Files movie... and it wasn't that I disliked the movie at all or was bored. I was just exhausted... it had something to do with when I was in the military... but I can't correlate the date to anything. I had to have just gotten back from a field exercise or deployment.

I've done it more times than I care to think about. Usually, it's on repeat viewing of a movie... and usually it's when I am already a bit tired and shouldn't've gone to the movies in the first place.

Friday night it was during Fright Night - that's how bad that movie was.

utter boredom usually for me. My friend was dying to see lord of the rings when it came out and I just couldnt handle it. Id rather watch grass grow than one of those terribly dull movies after trying to sit through the first. Luckly I fell asleep but some kids playing in the aisles kept running by and waking me up.

Also feel alseep during dates while seeing Robots, Men Who Stare at Goats, TPM/AOTC/ROTS, Crystal Skull, A Team, Iron Man 1 & 2 and many others. Glad movie passes are free.

That's a lot of movies to fall asleep at. Especially when on dates. You sure nothing more than you don't like the movie is at play there?

As for me, only did it once, but it was during the previews not the movie. It was opening day of Star Trek 6 and I was working on a project and hadn't slept in a couple days.

I rarely "go to the movies" anymore, and when I do, I'm with at least one other person, so leaving isn't really an option. (Well, I suppose I could wander around outside.)

The one time I actually tried to sleep through a movie (because it was so godawful, and still ranks as #1 on my list of worst movies) it was "Color of Night." I must have slept a full hour, off and on, but I swear they stopped the movie when I went to sleep because it still lasted what seemed like four hours.

Fell asleep during 300. Was not tired. Just a god awful movie. Same thing with Alice in Wonderland. Alice was in the middle of the afternoon. Both times I was with someone so I couldn't leave.

Went comatose nearly an hour into Wing Commander which I solely went to in the first place to see the Phantom Menace trailer, I likely willed my body into a chemically induced slumber as a defense mechanism against cinematic poison.

Ang Lee's Hulk put me under for about 15-20 mins, I woke up for the chase through the desert with the Commanche's. I remember waking up during the Killer Poodle scene and thinking W-T-F???

First and last time I fell asleep during a movie was Sherlock Holmes. I got tattooed earlier that day for about 5 hours so I was just bagged and was nodding off the entire movie. I only feel asleep for about 10 minutes though.

I rarely fall asleep during a movie at the theater. Unfortunately, I've succumbed to Mr. Sandman a couple of times and it was always due to the relaxed mood I was in--not because of the movie content itself--that put me to doze. My work is so hectic and fast-paced that the slowdown is too much for my body to not wind down (or shutdown, to be more precise).

Now, ask me about people who just can't wait to go to the bathroom before the movie ends...that's another story! I don't know how people just can't hold it. I hate missing any part of a movie. When I saw Inception at the movies, I had to take a leak so bad that at the end of the movie, I just about couldn't stand up and thought my bladder had ruptured. That was the one and only time I wish I would have gotten up to go!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back