Fallen in love with a prop before seeing the movie?

Sundowner

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone fallen in love with a prop before seeing the film/tv show? Since I've been on this forum I've done this multiple times. "Boo" got me interested in Firefly. I think its great because it has broadened my horizons into films/Tv I would have never watched! Am I the only one?

the captain america helm done it for me, same with first class. Loved first class, was let down by cap. but still non the less loved the props.

The most obvious example would be Jake's wrist weapon from Cowboys & Aliens. As soon as I saw the first trailer, I thought to myself "Man, the RPF is gonna be all over that.."

Not a prop per se, but the John Dillinger fedora that Johnny Depp wore in "Public Enemies" was a minor obsession of mine until I ordered one the other day.

I thought the pre-release of the Hasbro battle droid on the laser pod was really cool in 1999 until I saw the Phantom Menace and about threw up on myself.

Not a prop, but I did buy the soundtrack CD to the Coen brothers' movie O Brother, Where Art Thou? before seeing the movie because I liked what I heard in the trailers.

Not a prop, but I did buy the soundtrack CD to the Coen brothers' movie O Brother, Where Art Thou? before seeing the movie because I liked what I heard in the trailers.

Yeah, I don't think this has ever happened to me with a prop, but I have picked up soundtracks I liked before I actually saw the movie.

I do also tend to prefer characters with interesting props/costumes over ones without. This is limited and dependent upon the writing, but usually there is an interesting backstory to them that other, less colorful characters lack. This is something I notice in trailers, though I generally reserve judgment until after I've seen the full movie.

I thought the pre-release of the Hasbro battle droid on the laser pod was really cool in 1999 until I saw the Phantom Menace and about threw up on myself.

I remember buying mine, Stap with Battle Droid. Mjolnir, Cap helm, Jake's wrist blaster, Tron disks, lots others but those are what i can think of right now

The Green Lantern power ring and Battery. Movie was just OK, but I'm happy DC Direct did such a good job on these replicas!

While not a movie, I would have to say the Eleventh Doctor's Screwdriver. I saw it at my friend's shop and started messing around with it and a few months later i was up to my neck in Dr Who.

I did the same thing with Doctor Who. Well actually I was interested in the vortex manipulator which got me into Torchwood then I wanted to watch the Doctor Who episodes that had Jack Harkness in them. Bam..Doctor Who fan lol.

Re: Fallen in love with a prop before seeing the m

I was pretty excited about the LOTR movies, and then I saw the One Ring in a trailer. The script showed up against the gold really nicely, and I knew I was hooked. I have a thing about rings. And swords.

The pre-release artwork/posters with River Tam and reaver sword in Serenity.

And way before that, the previews of Buffy's season 7 scythe. That thing was just gorgeous.

And I'm not really a Joss Whedon fangirl; those just seem to stand out in my mind as objects where I say to myself "I wish I was capable of making myself one of those".

Has anyone fallen in love with a prop before seeing the film/tv show? Since I've been on this forum I've done this multiple times. "Boo" got me interested in Firefly. I think its great because it has broadened my horizons into films/Tv I would have never watched! Am I the only one?

Nope...

Totally the other way around. Even the coolest of props for me are essentially meaningless until I see them in a film.

That's what the collecting (for me) is all about - a tangible connection to and reminder of the film I enjoy.

The 1989 Keaton Batmobile did it for me.

Caught a picture of it early before the movie even came out.
Love at first sight. I wouldn't have cared if the movie stunk
at that point. I wanted that car!

Still do! :love

Nope...

Totally the other way around. Even the coolest of props for me are essentially meaningless until I see them in a film.

That's what the collecting (for me) is all about - a tangible connection to and reminder of the film I enjoy.

Pretty much this.

A prop's "cool" factor will be enhanced or decreased by the film. Sometimes it still has an inherent "cool" quality to it, but usually it's the connection to the material I dug that makes me want to own it.

The only example I can think of would be the TRON Legacy ID disc, and that hardly qualifies. I've been a TRON fan for as long as I can remember, so seeing a new disc in the trailers for a new movie, I had no CHOICE but to love the prop.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back